Toy Hauler Mods

Happy Pappy

I have a 33' Attitude I can get the Predator in there but I also have the kids Quads (2) i was thinking of building a deck that would be cantalevered off the tow reciever on the trailer, maybe add two more recievers for a total of three, Then just run the quads up on there rear wheels and chain them too the rear door.

Seen anything like this?? trying not to re-invent the wheel :-)

Thanks

Chris

Friend of mine has a steel plate that he slides into a trailer hitch on the back of the trailer. He usually carries gas and a bar bq so no quads but with the right thickness of steel and support you could get at least one on I would think. What about putting the other in front of your slide in the truck?

No way the quad would fit in the truck bed, trailer is a fifth wheel, first turn and the quad would be in the trucks back seat or the trailers bedroom closet LOL

I really think I can cantalever a deck out there supported by 3 trailer recievers. Wouldn't have to be too deep to support the quads rear wheels. It's this or tow a trailer behind the trailer... Not sure whats involved there but I am sure a new license would be needed.

Chris

each class iii hitch has a tongue rating of 500 pounds so how much do the quads weight?? I know my Raptor is 400-450 wet. i would think that 2 or 3 hitchs setup supporting the back wheels would be fine weight wise. I would just bolt through the door with supports to make sure the tie downs don't pull through the door. even better you could make the hitch system come up so the bikes are all supported by the hitchs and you don't have to tie to the door at all. Then just make the upright part removeable so the whole system doesn't weight so much if you need to remove it.

Would most definitly need to remove to get the door down... Trying to picture what your saying "Hitch system come up" Not sure I know what you mean?

Didnt know the Raptor was that heavy!

Thanks chris

2008 Raptor 700

2003 LTZ 400

2009 Predator X-18

what i am thinking is almost a hitch or pair of hitches that face up along the door. This could hold a pole, other platform to strap to unstead of the door. It could be held in place with hitch pins. It may not need to be that large, but it's the best "Visual" i could type. :)

the weight thing is a concern the Predator weights in at 2k got to carry water 120gal. X 8 =960 trailer is 10.5k, pulling this with a Duramax 2500 must weight about 6k has a GCVW of 22k.... Sounds like I am pushing it when you include food people other stuff... and the quads Hmmmm.

• Like 1

I don't think you would be in the minority as far as being overweight goes. Most of us if weighed would be close or over in one way or another. It's what you feel safe with and what you can defend in court. I don't think 500 lbs is an issue either way. some ideas from google for you;

http://gunn.canadianlisted.com/trailers-mobile-homes/sandpiper-27ft-5th-wheel-trailer-c-w-quad-rack_936740.html

http://www.easymobilityco.com/ATV_tilt_a_rack.htm

Also a thought, do you have anywhere in the trailer after you have everything loaded in which you could stand a quad up against the wall on it's back wheels and run a belly strap to te wall. Some E track would not look bad and can be very useful. Even if you could only squeeze one in you woud not have to be as concerned with weight as much on the back.

Edited by ynot

well if you want to take the quads, what are they by the way, and have the hitch system that does add weight, but at least back there it's not hitch weight. It does sound like your close... I will leave that part of it to the guys that tow more.

I just have my F150 and my little Echo trailer with the 2 quads. Trailer with bikes and gas is under 1500 lbs. Most i have towed is 3 quads (one in bed) and 3 guys and all our stuff in Oregon. it's crazy how easy it is to max out the 1/2 ton trucks.

Cruiser lift = cool

Swivel = very weird... I wonder if that is really legal.

tandem trailer is all about length isn't it. or having the proper license??

for 2 smaller quads i like the hitch idea, but what about in a few years when the kids want bigger bikes. Is the kitchen area full?? or a ramp inside the hauler to stack?

I agree that the majority of us (rigs) are probably overweight. Not sure about other states but triple towing behind a 5th wheel is legal in CA as long as the total length of all vehicles doesn't exceed 65'. But you might need a Class A license.

And, although I haven't done it myself, one of these days I plan on adding a slide in receiver/cargo carrier to the back of my 5th wheel for fire wood, gas cans etc. and maybe even one of the kid's quads. Check out RV.net in the toy hauler category as others have done this mod successfully.

it's just to hang the kids quads i think. He is sayint predator, but i think it's a car, not the Polaris quad since he said it weighs 2k lbs. that would suck to ride a quad that weighs that much..

He listed a Raptor 700 and an LTZ400 as the quads, those are both full size quads and both heavy...I had an ltz, its 425lbs dry.

I think he means they are his kids quads, not that they are kid sized quads as in an 80 or similiar..

Yes the kids quads are a raptor 700R & an LTZ 400 Both are indeed full size quads. The last trip out (halloween) I put the Raptor in first tucked it into the kitchen area then winched in the Predator motor first, this puts most of the weight over the three axles. So I suppose I could hang the one LTZ off the tow hitch on the trailer.

It's really a hassle to winch the predator in with the quad in the kitchen, I have to run the cable under the quad, (winch is mounted to the floor in the kitchen area), so when the buggy starts climbing the tailgate of course the cable begins to rise from the floor and eventually begins to hit the bottom of the quad. I thought about welding a tab that is lower on the buggy but I think the cable would hit the floor when first starting to pull it in... Man a pictures worth a thousand words!

just sucks for the kids to have only one quad...

I did a goggle search for hitch mounted racks and came up with some pretty decent units for 1 quad.

all of those are on one hitch, for the one quad. It looks like those would both be good options. You were thinking about building something which may be cheaper. Even though its a pain i think having one quad in the kitchen is better. Two full size quads and the rack is like 1000lbs and seems like a lot to hang off the back.

I should have looked at the signature, but was having a blonde moment i guess.

hey Pappy, its funny....I was just talking to my friend the other day about building me something to hang off the back of my hauler like this for my atc 70's...although they are much lighter than yours. His name on here is Metalworxfab I think (he doesn't come on here a lot) and he is real good at designing stuff. We were going to put 2 or 3 recievers off the back and a rack that fits into them that could be easily removed for loading/unloading. If you are interested I can get you his number..are you in vegas?

Located in the high desert between Barstow & Victorville... Silver Lakes. Thanks but I have a guy here who can weld Aluminum like a pro. I like that aluminum unit from Tilt a rack at only 95Lbs two of us can easily handle it. I just need to run more than one receiver.

Chris

• Like 1