My first rail......looking for advise

bigdawg13

Hey y'all thanks for your input !

I have been surfing Craigslist for "sandrails" and have seen some good junk and some nice rides that I can't afford and I am looking for advise.

1) My dune buddies say to stay away from V-dubs but they are so plentiful.....

2) Mid-engine -vs- rear.....

3) Long travel is out for $$ reasons so ... stock -vs- mid travel

4) Swing axle -vs- irs

5) Or is it as simple as to what you can afford? If money was no object we all know what we would have........

My budget is in the 5 to 7k range and looking for more reliability than anything else...... Im not into needing to wrench every other trip just to keep it running, but I am willing to work and upgrade my ride if its a good base to start from.

Thanks for looking,

Bill

"Or is it as simple as to what you can afford? If money was no object we all know what we would have........"

Personally I think you have answered your own question.

You are in the same posistion that I have been all my duning days.

You will be limited to a stock travel or a rare mid travel.

If you want reliabiility just make sure you know the rail you consider.

My current rail I bought for 4,200 and have had to put in over 4-5000 in up grades and replacement parts and repairs.

If I were to try and sell it right now I would be lucky to get 6,000 for it.

Just so you know there is an older fellow like me and he said he hasn't touched his mechamically for 7 or 8 years. He drives it hard but within his and the rails capability. He and I bouth have a ball with our VW rails.

Good luck, Vw's have worked well in most cases for many many years.

post-3374-0-18606400-1352999053_thumb.jp

post-3374-0-14031800-1352999112_thumb.jp

post-3374-0-03156000-1352999140_thumb.jp

Edited by sandawg

Can't go wrong with a VW beam or mid travel. I love my VW rail, goes up anything, affordable if something breaks, reliable as hell, and hauls the whole family. Your budget is well within a nice VW rail. I built mine from scratch (exception of the frame) to what I wanted and am happy with the end result.

• 2 weeks later...

If you could add a couple more $k to your budget, the Busa rail for sail here on the forum is a pretty good deal. Long travel, reliable, and can dune with any group. Had one for a couple of years and really a huge step up from the beam or mid travel cars. Not having reverse is a pain once in a while. Just need to remember that when parking.

• Like 1

I would do what ken said and if you can put a few thousand more towards your purchase and get at least a busa car or find a project car and put it together like I did with mine. If you get a beam car it will probably be fun for a while then your gonna want to go to bigger or long travel. Or use the money as a down payment on an xp900.

couple options, first car is a friends just a couple ideas. Good Luck

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/rvs/3394666957.html

another

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/rvs/3412989430.html