transport wheels and tires

Happy Pappy

Hey All,

The buggy BARELY fits in the toy hauler due to the fold down bench seat and dinette. Cars width with stock VW wheels 79" leaves about 1/2" on each side I have already tore up the couches on the underside.

I have been using some old wide 5's from my Formula Vee days, problem is there race tires & hang over the rim about 1-5/8". So I started looking for some stock 155 or 165 X 15, actually hard to find used. So I started looking at craigslist and came across some of those "Donut spare tires" I think the 125mm X 15 would be perfect? Should be able to mount the tire on the wide 5, maybe have to wrap a belt around it to get it too bead up?... Would be so skinny I bet the rims edge would be the widest part.

Anyone tried this?

Thanks Chris

Chris,

Funny that you post this today...I just dropped of my two "trailer tires" at Pep Boys to get two new 165/80R15's....my old ones were tore up and sun damaged and the tread actually peeled back

My last trip I had to back my buggy into the trailer with a winch since both tires were flat...

$155.54 mounted.... I told them not to balance them and saved $30

I have called 2 Pep Boys now and they are telling me "special order Only" Which Pep Boys did you use? these guys up here are brain dead! One guy didn't even ask what size just "We don't have skinny tires" !

Thanks Chris

Just picked them up.....got them from the Anaheim Hills Pep Boys

Pep Boys

Ask for Domingo

I ended up walking out with them for $147.48 :grin:

So I just called Domingo and asked him about the tires and apparently I got the last 2...lol They are on a "National Backorder"... :saywha:

He said that you can call him and he can find the same size but in a different brand...might be more money