Fatality at comp, Thanksgiving weekend 11-24-12

dunefreak

It's horrible to hear this kind of news and sucks to pass it on, but it's a reminder of how dangerous comp hill can be on a holiday weekend.

I heard from Neal Rideout today that a buggy hit a quad at comp hill and the rider was killed. The buggy flipped in the air on impact. That is all I know at this point.

Thoughts and prayers to all involved. Very sad. :(

Coroner case #701208238 -- On 11/24/12, at approx 10:50 AM, Bureau of Land Management Rangers were flagged down and notified of a collision between a quad motorcycle and a sand rail in the Competition Hill area of Dumont Dunes. Baker Ambulance responded and found the driver of the quad, 40 year-old XXX of Las Vegas, Nevada, unresponsive. He was transported to the Dumont Dunes Command Station to await transportation via helicopter to a medical facility. During this time, he went into cardio respiratory arrest and advanced cardiac life support was initiated. The driver did not respond to treatment and was pronounced dead at 11:38 AM. The name of the deceased is being withheld pending notification of the next of kin. The California Highway Patrol is investigating the incident. [112412 2240 TC]

Curious to see what the CHP determines on this one based on what witnesses have said.

Too sad this kind of thing has to happen..RIP duner

• Like 1

I didn't realize how far and wide my post had reached so here is what I put on Facebook:

--Update on the accident from earlier today. The guy on the quad didn't make it out of the dunes. As I knew when it happened, he was injured severely. Seems the CHP found out I witnessed it and had photos so I had to go and make a statement. My friend Steve also went. The guys next of kin was his sister who walked up as I was there and didn't know about her brother. I had to wait for the CHP and She

riff to finish telling her her brother was dead. Sad.

The guy in the rail had just come off of comp. Instead of turning or slowing down, he nailed it on the flats. Two quads were heading towards the cut at the left end of comp. The rail, under power, just hit the first quad square in the side. The quad and rider as well as the rail disappeared into a explosive dust cloud. The rail hit the guy and quad hard enough to launch into the air, pivot as to show me the bottom and then land on its roof, roll, and wind up back on its wheels. The quad guy never had a chance. Since I was getting some shots of the action in the area, I took some shots from immediately after the impact. The quality is not the best since I wasn't ready and the distance but I did catch the rail pointing straight up in the air. Still deciding if I want to show it or not. It shows the quad guy down. But, I also think it shows what the consequences of stupid decisions can look like.

Later this evening, We watched two rails racing. One clipped a quad. Guess which one got taken away in an ambulance. Quad guy should be Ok, broken wrist and maybe an ankle. Quad is destroyed. Rail has left rear damage to its suspension. When you decide to race into a dust cloud, what could possibly happen? The rails were two of the fastest on the hill. Why would anyone think at such high speeds and acceleration rate with no visibility is an acceptable risk? I just don't get it. Did I mention that this particular race, they changed direction and started on the left of comp and angled up to the right which of course crosses the whole hill into the climbing traffic????? No visibility and they do this???? Asswipes! Rant off...

-------------------\\

After getting many messages from family and friends, I decided to not make the pictures I took public. I will be sending them to the CHP for their investigation. The pictures do clearly show the rails path. The story I heard about them trying to miss the quad is fabrication. Plus. My friend Steve saw what I saw. We both gave statements to CHP.

• Like 2

It is always sad when a duner loses his life doing what he loves to do. It is even worse when someone in the DDR circle knows that person, It is a constant reminder that the sport we love and are involved in is dangerous. Unfortunately it is made more dangerous due to stupid moves done with more HP than brains and no regard for others. It's all about the " hey look at me" syndrome that has consumed the nation.

My heart goes out to the family and friends of this gentleman and hope that they find peace in time and remember the good times.

R.I.P.

Terry

I was parked at comp and the impact was about 20' behind my car. Rail was on a wheelie up the lip at the bottom of comp. The frontend didn't hit the ground until just before impact.

Imagine if he was about 20 degrees to the left. You and your friends would have gotten it. You answered the only question we couldn't. From our vantage, we couldn't tell if his front end was up or not. We were looking down at it from behind.

i was also out at comp when this accident occured. i did not see what you guys seen "quad got hit by rail". i seen the opposite the guy was cutting accross seems to me trying to beat rail across but did not and hit the side of rail. sorry if my eyes didnt see the same but up above it was posted that accident was before 11 am which is about right and you stated that your picture stampd with time that says oppiste of what i seen is off by over an hour.

I feel for your loss and thoughs and prayers go out to the familys loss

This was AM. The picture is stamped 11:53. There was a stuck BLM vehicle in the finger dune behind comp.

they were trying to get it unstuck when people came running to get them.....

The guy was going to help told me he would definately need an airlift but obviously that didnt happen....R.I.P