Dec 7-9, 2012 trip reports/pics

dunefreak

I had a great time this weekend. I had some minor issues like blowing the front brakes off my car following Lou B and a fan issue where my fans wanted to stay on and run forever, but it was a killer weekend regardless. It was great running with ynot, Lou and Stu again. It's been since last season since we ran together.

We had a great group in camp this trip and had some good times and laughs. Entertaining to say the least especially with Marcia's standup/ variety show around the fire! LOL Good seeing sandawg and rocket, Jill and Charlie, and I even ran into stalteri920 out at the north pole! I only got one quad ride in, but it was a really good one on Sunday morning with my buddy Darrell, Rap Rider, The Alaskan (after a 2 year absence from Dumont!), and THE BOMB. Other than that, I was planted in the seat of my sandcar all weekend.

The dunes were super nice with a couple of nasty witch eyes and holes. The recent wind definitely cleaned up the mess from Tday traffic. Greg (THE BOMB) found a gnarly hole and blew out his tie rods from his rack. Pics to come from that. lol That was quite a rescue mission. Other than that mishap, his new 2 seat V8 Rail did damn good and he seemed to be enjoying the heck out of it.

Sucks Chadwick got sick and left early to go back home with Eric. He got a few good rides in, but his trip was cut way short.

There are a ton of highlights I am sure I am missing, but it's late and all in all...good times! Now I have to get cracking on a few issues to be ready for the next trip.

I didn't take too many pics, but here is a cool shot of THE BOMB I took this morning.

gallery_3_92_43666.jpg

It was a great weekend. I rolled in at 1am Friday night after work. I was staying with Christina and Bill. THANK YOU GUYS!!! for letting me stay with you.

Got in a morning run Saturday and played with the suspension along the way. I always have to look at the video to see what happened when lol. but the camera wasn't on the first run as i had to hurry and get ready. There was a lot of following the rails and a pretty big group in there. Lots of new people for me to meet again as well. On the way back to camp we dropped over the top of comp and the sand was SUPER soft. I came up to the top, slowed, flopped over and slip to 90* to the hill. The rider behind me came up, and stopped right behind me. I looked down the hill and saw a yellow quad rolling down the hill (NOT on the wheels) with the rider sitting on the hill. Rolled down there to check it out and he was ok, and the quad just had a broken flag pole. That was it for the morning.

I left camp at noon on Saturday with Chad, a dirt bike guy (i think Eric) and one other quad rider. We were cruising around for a while having a good time then i saw some people sitting at comp, so i bailed the line and went to comp. Nope, didn't know anyone. Saw Pete and the group rolling across Banshee so time to play catch up. I think this was the big line of the day with at least 4 cars, an XP and 5-6 quads. Terry joined in half way through making it a great group. i followed Lyndsay (not sure on spelling) and that girl can ride, but it was dangerous as she is on the throttle and makes you pay if you are too close... :) We stopped out somewhere, when pete broke the brakes on his rail. So the group kinda split up. Terry, Steve, Greg, and one other rail, Ken, one other quad, and I were together, when Greg decided to test the air bags on his car. By airbags i mean the front tires (not taking credit for airbag relation). he flopped over one razor just in time to find a witches eye just big enough for his whole car (yes I have part of it on video.) I was the rider behind him so i checked if he was ok, and he was good, but the rail was hurt. Both Tie rods pulled out of the rack and the tires were both pointed out, and it was buried pretty good. it took at least an hour of digging, 2 rails and Steve's XP to get it out. Terry tried first and was hanging on the side of a dune for a good half hour stuck with a super strap while we kept diggin. The second rail got stuck to, yes Greg's car was stuck GOOD!! A little more time, and digging and some help from an XP and we finally got the car down the hill. Steve went to go get some tools and help and we hung out for a while. Steve came back with straps, and more people, and snacks... thanks Steve!! Finally got the car moving and headed back about dusk. crash was about 3pm or so i think, so and hour and a half to remove and "fixup" the car to get out of there. I was in the dunes from noon till dark... I was happy. :)

post-7315-0-70857800-1355127574_thumb.jp

post-7315-0-51594700-1355127597_thumb.jp

post-7315-0-17717700-1355127630_thumb.jp

post-7315-0-14936100-1355127649_thumb.jp

post-7315-0-86699900-1355127676_thumb.jp

post-7315-0-43128300-1355127703_thumb.jp

sunday i woke up to Pete and crew getting ready for a ride so i jumped up and got ready quick. this was at about 8:30am i guess and we got our ride in, which is where pete's photo came from that is above. we did a jump spot on this run but i wasn't feeling that one too much, and was bottoming out. We cruised around a little more, then went to comp. Christina, Bill, Aundrea, and steve came over to comp so i joined in with them, as Pete was going back to camp. We cruised for a bit and had some fun. Back to camp. Lots of people were already leaving or had left already. hang out for a bit, then lunch, and Pete's getting ready for a run. stuff the last chips in my face put on my helmet and GO.. last run of the weekend. Pete in the rail and one other rail and me as the only quad. I was able to keep up ok. Very nice last run with the wind starting to kick up though. Everyone was loading up as the wind was rolling in.

I'll work on some videos this week.

Overall a nice weekend of riding.. with some "interesting" campfire times. Have a little more tuning to do on the shocks i think, but rolled out with everything intact.

post-7315-0-32401000-1355127728_thumb.jp

• Like 1

well i rolled in thursday afternoon picked a spot for the party people that were coming in friday. unpacked and went for a cruz dunes were clean but looked like the wind had blown the same way all week. one side of the dunes was a sharp drop off with soft blow sand. sat on top of comp and enjoyed being 1 of 12 people in all of dumont. did a easy drive around the south side and out to the retired camp. BS'ed with the guys as it got dark and was time to head back and finish settling in. had a techie evening listening to music off the iphone and surfing the web on my iPad while sitting at the fire. clear skys and stars every night. Friday and Saturday nights campfire did not disappoint! i did a lot of dune runs and the XP does awesome was good to have most of the OG crew out. saturday was highlighted by the bomb lawndarting and the after recovery but we made it out by dark. did some fun riding sunday and ended up at comp with some fly over gopro jumps out of the lip. this was my 20-21-22-23 days at dumont this year all have been warm sunny and awesome ....Dune Gods i thank you. a lot of work coming up so my trips will be harder to fit in for awhile.... gopro videos to come

post-978-0-28760700-1355155065_thumb.jpg

post-978-0-52208800-1355154968_thumb.jpg

post-978-0-51666200-1355155073_thumb.jpg

post-978-0-81669200-1355154980_thumb.jpg

post-978-0-34567400-1355155055_thumb.jpg

post-978-0-36382800-1355155089_thumb.jpg

post-978-0-16331900-1355155096_thumb.jpg

post-978-0-25823600-1355155106_thumb.jpg

post-978-0-06575300-1355155116_thumb.jpg

I came out just for Saturday to do a shoot for the magazine and went over to comp to get a few photos and saw all your rails playing for a few runs up comp. Met up with Joe Duner and Sand Snake for a few shots. Had some time to kill so I aired down and did a little duning with the Xterra. Ran up Banshee hill a few times and found a spot with a good view. Pretty cool seeing a bunch of DDR rails running the dunes in the distance. They had it all to themselves. I did manage to get a few shots of you guys as you were zooming around some bowls. Met up with Mike and Kristine who brought out a Turbo Raptor from Utah. Awesome looking bike, over 100hp. Just sounded mean! After the shoot, went and visited Pat, Rocket and his group to catch up and then over to the other DDR camp by bathroom 6. Thanks to Steve, Pete, and Joe, I was able to use their rides to get my Christmas project done. Hung out by the fire for a little and left for home. The dunes never disappoint if even for just a day trip in my SUV. These two photos are from my Facebook. I didn't get through all of them yet. I'll have more good ones within a few days.

post-709-0-81635200-1355159381_thumb.jpg

Sand Snake punishing the sand

post-709-0-22189500-1355159409_thumb.jpg

Kristine on the Turbo Raptor

Wow...awesome pic Pete!! That's the best pic ever taken of me riding...my new desktop background!!! I want to give a sincere thanks to all who rescued me this weekend both out in the dunes and in camp. You guys & gals are an awesome group that I would like to become a permanent part of...good drinkers too! The M1 Abrams...I mean rail, suffered some minor damage and will come back even stronger...probably heavier...LOL. Maybe I'll mount a 12,000 lb Ramsey winch on the front and I can tie off to a half dozen rails or so. Now I have to buy one of those Dumont Dunes Riders hats.

• Like 1

Wow...awesome pic Pete!! That's the best pic ever taken of me riding...my new desktop background!!! I want to give a sincere thanks to all who rescued me this weekend both out in the dunes and in camp. You guys & gals are an awesome group that I would like to become a permanent part of...good drinkers too! The M1 Abrams...I mean rail, suffered some minor damage and will come back even stronger...probably heavier...LOL. Maybe I'll mount a 12,000 lb Ramsey winch on the front and I can tie off to a half dozen rails or so. Now I have to buy one of those Dumont Dunes Riders hats.

:laughoff:

Speaking of hats. You were cracking me up Saturday night coming out of your hauler in a different hat each round. :clap:

Here's some pics...

Fri night fire

gallery_3_92_227784.jpg

Fri night moon

gallery_3_92_27415.jpg

Saturday AM ride, taking a break at Talladega

gallery_3_92_369547.jpg

gallery_3_92_44322.jpg

gallery_3_92_271626.jpg

THE BOMB'S badass 2 seat V8 Rail. I've wanted one of these cars for quite some time.

gallery_3_92_136971.jpg

Kens Colors enjoying the day

gallery_3_92_24191.jpg

Saturday sunset (Stu's car)

gallery_3_92_21898.jpg

gallery_3_92_2051.jpg

When you break in the sand...you have to be resourceful and creative to get back. Together we always make it happen and that's what duners do.

gallery_3_92_307750.jpg

More Saturday sunset on the way back from the rescue mission

gallery_3_92_120955.jpg

gallery_3_92_96311.jpg

JVZ's car at sunset

gallery_3_92_158358.jpg

Sunday AM ride, Rap Rider jumping

gallery_3_92_368350.jpg

gallery_3_92_134973.jpg

gallery_3_92_141363.jpg

My dual sport riding buddy, Darrell, jumping my Raptor. This was his first time in the sand ever. He picked it right up. The razors and side-hilling spooked him just like everyone's first trip to Dumont, but overall he dug it alot!

gallery_3_92_39700.jpg

gallery_3_92_542634.jpg

THE BOMB didn't want to jump. He gave me the "I have arm pump" signal.

gallery_3_92_295384.jpg

We continued out to the N Pole

gallery_3_92_410768.jpg

Then over to comp (THE BOMB pictured)

gallery_3_92_23014.jpg

gallery_3_92_186291.jpg

Vegas Style came through while we were there and played around a bit

gallery_3_92_167177.jpg

gallery_3_92_33624.jpg

gallery_3_92_231857.jpg

And so did Bill in his XP

gallery_3_92_7467.jpg

gallery_3_92_112943.jpg

Vegas Style jumping the lip at comp

gallery_3_92_239150.jpg

yeah buddy! lol

gallery_3_92_79768.jpg

Sandawg, rocket and crew were there too

gallery_3_92_220511.jpg

I have a few more from my cel phone I'll post up too. :shots:

Nice photos pete... I'm going to have to start getting photos from the other side of my bike since the left side has the Nevada registration sticker wrap on the front fender. Maybe it's just me, but that thing stands out.

I was so happy to get some good dune time in, some great runs, and meet some more great people.

Dumont – December 07-08, 2012

Left Vegas singing Christmas music and arrived at Dumont 0343 hours…I jumped out of the truck and went straight to bed. I was too exhausted to unload.

Friday morning around 1000, I woke up to the wonderful sound Ynot’s engine. I unloaded toys…played on the hill in front of camp while Vegas Style flew his kite. Later that afternoon Ynot came over and asked if we wanted to go on a ride. Well, I decided to put on my big girl chonies and followed – I am glad I decided to go. FUN FUN FUN … (soft rippled sand to sleek smooth sand)

Later that evening my Husband & kiddo arrived – Just in time for campfire laughs, laughs, laughs and wow – more laughs …. We really enjoyed the campfire! Saturday morning – normally I would say Wakey Wakey Eggs and Bakey and have everything on the table; my head could not comprehend this. (I am sure it’s due to all laughing the night before) Much thanks to Steve for providing my family with breakfast. Later that after the Aleve & few bottles of water settled; Bill, Aundrea and I headed over to the kiddy dunes and played around. We kept the day very chill and relaxing.

As the sun went down the campfire brings everyone together for many more laughs… “Stranger danger” rings in my head!

Sunday morning; Steve led a play ride…we headed over to Comphill and then made our way through back side of comp, over to camp.

It was very nice to meet new people :) and to read all of your stories & see pics.

BEAUTIFUL WEEKEND! *I will try to upload the few photo's I took later*

Adam you were gone the entire weekend; I didn't even know you stayed with us :) Your welcome.

Steve - What the Heck does Bill think he is doing on my quad - That azzhole! (sarcastic) LOL Good Pic.

Thanks again everyone for the fun & laughter.

Thanks for letting me stay with you guys Christina... I was pretty much gone the whole day back in time to sit at the camp fire. That Turkey Dinner was REALLY good to, along with the turkey sandwich midnight snack. :)

campfire antics are getting very interesting.. just glad I am not the guest not allowed back. ;)

I had a blast. Rolled out Solo on Friday afternoon.

It was good to see the DDR crew in effect. The Sand was super smooth and I had a good time with everyone. Plenty of Firewood, Drinks and BJ Jokes with no punch line. Cant wait to hear the ending next time.

First night I had a few too many Tekillya shots next day I stayed away from the Yeager. Smart Man.

Saturday I had an eventful fly over the top of Comp. Guess I went straight over an no transition = Roll over and more Roll over. Still a little sore but in Tact.

Thanks for all the hospitality from Pete, Stu, Lou and Jason. Felt right at home all weekend.

Still trying to figure out New Years but I will be back.

I only took two pics one of the Bomb with the Hat and a colorful Fire. Will post next.

JW

Definitely good times as always with the crew and new peeps I met. Had some great dune runs and im loving the new motor and power. I've definitely become way more comfortable and in sync with the car. Campfire was too funny with lost/ recovered phone and never ending no punch lines jokes from Marcia's standup comic debut and a few "fireworks". She's working on her NYE routine.... Haha. Who the hell invited the "stranger danger" guest who is absolutely NOT invited back.... Doahhhhh!!!! I had a GF intervention with my buddy after that mess ,hope it sticks!!!! Looking forward to our next outing.

• Like 1