Fatal accident 12/27/12

camp host

Coroner Case #701209125; On 12/27/2012, at 11:35 PM, a 911 call was received reporting an off highway vehicle rollover in the Dumont Dunes Recreational Area. Paramedics from Baker Ambulance responded and found the driver ********, a 40 year old resident of Apple Valley, dead at the scene. ******** was ejected from the vehicle. The two passengers in the vehicle were taken to area hospitals for treatment. The California Highway Patrol is investigating the incident. (12282012 CN 1624)

Just didn't seem right to post the victims name.

I Went to school with him he was a great person and leaves behind a family and huge group of friends, what a terrible thing for them.

My thoughts and prayers to his family, Definetly not the way anyone wants to end or begin a new year everyone be safe out there this weekend!

this was a group we duned with before, they where in a funco coming back from comp hill 4 adults, only one was wearing a seat belt, one of the passengers that was ejected was ran over by a vehicle coming to help them, she is now in critical condition, the other female that was belted in walked away with no injuries, I have no idea what happened, she said they think the throttle might have got stuck,

First off i would like send my prayers to all the victims in this accident it was a terrible crash. It all happened around 1115 Thursday night. Me and my family were sleeping in our toy hauler when we heard a small rail come into our camp and start yelling for help that there was a crash in the dunes and that he couldn't find the blm station. So i got in our rzr and led the guy over to the blm station to find that there wasn't one person working that night but they were collecting money that day for passes. I knocked and went inside every trailer at the blm camp to find no one. So i got on my phone and called 911 and told them what the guy saw and that we needed immediate help. About 40 minutes went buy and the paramedics and fire department showed up. I knew that they werent going to be able to get back to the crash since the blm didn't have people working to operate the sand rail So i ran back to camp and jumped in our rail and went and got 2 paramedics and all there gear and took them to the crash site. Right away they attended both hurt victims. The one lady that got ejected was not ran over by another rail, but was severely injured. We helped the paramedics load her on the back board and then across the back seat of our rail. I then took the two paramedics and lady in my rail back to the station. She was airlifted out at about 1. I then took the fire fighters, and two officers back to the site to grab the other girl that was hurt. We loaded her up on the back board and then into the rail again. Then took her back to the station where the ambulance was. She only had minor injuries and was taken by ambulance to the hospital. After they took off with the other lady, i transported the fire fighters back to the site to help. The other victim was pronounced dead. I feel bad for the family and hope they recover from there loss. It was a bad way to start the trip but after seeing this accident i hope that everyone on here makes sure that every person riding in your rail wears a seat belt. Whether it is a quick putt to vendor row or to comp. Seat belts in this crash would have saved every life. It was a horrible thing to see but glad i was there to help because i don't know how the paramedics would have gotten everyone out of there. And once again my thoughts and prayers go out to the family's involved in this.

• Like 7

Thanks for the Info. I think it's good to keep the truth about these happenings and educate others to help prevent accidents and injuries.

Once again my condolences to the family, and best wishes to the injured person and get well soon.

And Blake, Thank you for going above and beyond to help the fellow duners and injured.

Where did it happen? In an above post they were on their way back from comp? It sounds like they were not in the valley on the way back? I didnt even know this happened, but I did post about what do the rangers do? Well, they were out early sunday with early morning riders (looking for a less crowded ride time ie safer) looking for infractions. The funny part is, that even if they were their, almost nothing would have changed. They would have used their rail instead of the duners......Why dont we lobby for 1 or 2 two rangers or sheriffs, and the rest of the staff as medical? Wouldnt that be in the users best interest?

One of the things that bothers me, is that its rare if ever that anyone looks at why and how an incident occures and how could the injuries be avoided or diminished. Its hard to remember , but you dont need to be safe for what you ll do, most of the time. You need to be safe for what the unknown will do to you.

• Like 1

This story is really hard to hear after thanksgiving. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends involved in this tragedy. I cant imagine how long that wait must of felt for all involved with no help out there. I pray for some sort of peace and closure for all involved.