New Years trip reports

I was on my way , going thru pahrump when I found out that the rest of my group had decided to not go. They had trailer tire problems and some other issues. So we ended up camping near the third finger dune, just south of # 6. Overall it was a good trip, but not without issues....issues that I had no control over. (other duners....and the ranger, another thread)

My boy rode his (new to him blaster) and seized the piston.....in the new motor on friday evening. On sat I took it apart, and with a piece of plywood I polished the piston.....till my daughter found a small piece of emery cloth on vendors row. Then with about 2 hrs of polishing, I carefully working the two stuck rings free, then cleaned up the ring lands, and then got the rings back on. Then I polished the cylinder, then promptly dropped the wrist pin c clip in the crank case. I could not get it out, so I wheeled it out the back of the trailer and flipped the entire quad upside down. I gave up......then I saw it sitting on the trailer rear door. Got it back in, then about 12 minutes later it was buttoned up and running again. I rode it a few times from sat, and today and its running good.....real good. Better then our other one and better then it ran before the siezing incident. So alls good.....and Ill break in in a bit more between now and the next trip so it wont happen again. No money spent.

Our little vw rail got a new motor on weds....so it was out just to see how it was gonna go. And I have an oil leak to fix....but it runs fine for a fun little rail.

Me and my boy (7) went to comp this am. I figured no one would really be there, and I was right. So we talked and practiced riding the hill, and banshee alittle. We went back to comp about 9 am. There were three guys on quads there for a few minutes then just us with a ranger watching back in the flat in his razer. A guy on a bike pulls up and I think a woman on a quad. They rode the hill then were sitting about 40 ft away from us. Only us four at the hill. The ranger comes over to them, starts with small talk, then goes on about checking there stickers. Now Im sorry, but after seeing this unfold and the rangers tatic, and my experience last trip out at the ranger station....I hope they all up and get fired and they can kiss my a$$.

I dont even break any laws and I d personally like to see things be a lot safer, but the rangers and the sheriff have nothing to do with my safety or yours, all they are is just like every other leo in the world and a monkey to collect $ for someone with more power.

The other issue was the unbelievable driving by everyone in camp. I had probably 100 people drive with in 30 ft of the front of out trailer, probably 200 with in 100ft. I cant believe so many people do it....and probably 5 were going 15 mph or less. There was plenty of room too, everywhere...... I did throw the ball for the dog and almost hit a quad rider (he ducked or it would have) and I think Im going to continue to play ball with the dog, and maybe bring baseballs. I figure if your close enough for me to hit you.......your probably to close.

As for the new years.....well it seemed pretty thin out there. I did see the ranger station and all the money that has been spent there and I suspect that a few more years of this and fewer and fewer people and ill get my wish and it will become a ghost town via funding.

We're back home from Dumont. We pulled in Friday around 6PM and rolled out tonight (sunday) around 7pm. It was a great weekend out there despite a little cold weather every now and then. I had a couple very close calls due to the crowds. I've said it many times before and I'll say it again...I really hate holiday weekends. I swore I was done with them, but this trip was an exception due to extra good company to camp & dune with. On a positive note, nobody in our group got hurt and we had a killer time shredding those tore up dunes. We avoided the congested areas (comp hill) and never even went over there at night to party. We stayed in camp, cooked a ton of food, and had some good laughs. On one of the last runs today Jason (JVZ) busted his trans. :( Time to upgrade to a Mendi I suppose. I'm just glad I didn't break mine pulling him out of the dunes. I had to drag him around the dunes for a little bit before we made our way out. haha At least it broke towards the end of the weekend. We got alot of duning in and burned through plenty of race gas. It was hard to see Smokin Als buggy out there without him and then see the urn of his ashes that Brian & Nicole planned to spread. I wish we could have stayed longer to be part of it.

Overall we really enjoyed our weekend and it was great to run into some DDR people too. Holidays are always good for that. :)

We got there late Friday night and set up about 70 yards in front of #6 and got set up for some good morning riding. We got up around 9 hoping to get some good runs in but we only mangaged to get 2 so so runs in when my buddy's banshee seemed to bog a little too much to his liking so he went to change the sprocket setup and broke.....ended up working on it the rest of the day. I can honestly say I didn't mind it all that much anyway since people seemed to zoom all over without following any kind of lines and the place was getting chopped up. The law really liked to check people for their stickers, that is for sure! I normally don't go on big weekends and probably will make this our last big weekend. It is cool to be around all the rigs out there but it sucks waking up sore as hell from the beating you take riding. We went to comp late saturday night probably around 1030pm or so with a couple guys from my camp after his banshee got fixed and it was only a handful of people out there....we went up and over comp through a few bowls, looked at the lights around the camps, then headed back to ours....that was probably the coolest part of the trip. We made one good run Sunday morning through a ton more ruts and called it quits, headed back to Vegas in the Snow(second coolest part of the trip) I had 2 close calls and it was hard going all out with the throttle around the bowls and hitting the normal lines due to the ruts, even with my upgraded shocks.....I can say though, I LOVE my long travel elka rear I put on prior to this trip, it soaked up everything....my main thing was the side to side shake of the front end. Purchased a CCP stabilizer to see if that helps any.....sure can't hurt. I did manage to buy a couple shirts too, feel bad for the vendors there kind of, they seem to be placed way away from the crowd and right next to the cop shack pretty much. Some of them didn't seem like they had done a whole lot of business and seemed less than trilled to be out there.

I rolled in early Saturday morning. Set up the trailer. By the time we were done everyone was ready to go on the first buggy ride of the day. So we hopped in and rolled out. Had a couple of close calls. People really don't look before cresting a dune. We had to bail out if line because two motorcycles decided they had the right away over 6 fast rails. The first break down was my dads rail. The tranny seal popped out and leaked all the tranny fluid out. So I hit vendors got some red seal and some tranny fluid and had him back up and running. Cruised back to camp enjoyed some lunch. Then back out for another rail ride. This time made it almost to comp and another buddy broke his spindle. Had to go get the truck and trailer to the back side of the dunes to get him out. After all that. Its now dark out. So me and my dad decided let's run comp once and head back to camp. We ran out of gas half way back down the hill. I guess we shoulda just went back! Lol after all the headaches during the day. We did a night perimeter run. I drove my dads rail with my girlfriend. I gotta say opening it up around the dunes is pretty fun if you ask me. We hit comp. it was dead.

Sunday me and my girlfriend woke up and fires up my bike and her quad headed over to the hill. Got harassed by the ranger. My sticker wasn't in the right spot according to him. I didn't know there was a right spot. After that said and done we went for a fun ride on the back side of comp. went back go camp started to load up. Then we had to go rescue my buddy johns daughters rm she seized the piston on the back side of banshee hill. Got it back to camp and returned to load up the rest of my stuff and hit the road home. Overall I had a blast this weekend.

Had a couple of close calls. People really don't look before cresting a dune.

Same here but how do you look before cresting a razor??? Sometimes you can ride the ridge and scope it out first, but some of the steep ones you have no choice but to just flop them and be extremely alert and ready. Luckily the couple close calls I had I was able to get a glance over the edge and 2 times it would have been ugly if I had gone over.

I was at banshee hill when I saw you guys towing that rail from Comp.

I wasn't towing it from comp. We were in the dunes behind Banshee a couple dunes in and had to hit the wash/ flats to the north. We popped out just north of the superbowl. ;)

That was an awesome trip. We were there from Thursday evening till Tuesday morning. I was lovin my new motor in the car. It ran great.

Stoked to have all my power back. :randog: lol. Special thanks to Krusty and LouB for helping me get it together. :drinkbeer:

Awesome peeps in camp and some great dune rides. Great to be out there and see some of my DDR peeps again.

We did take it easy in the dunes due to congestion. There were a few close calls like Dunefreak mentioned. More than I remember in the past.

Was kinda tough to put together smooth lines at times with all the duners out in the dunes these days.

It still was a blast though. :driver: :driver: :driver: :driver:

My son Ryder continues to make me a very proud dad as he was rippin around camp on his little 50cc quad for the first time all by him self. :atv:

We had a great time, so I just wanted to thank everyone involved in our weekend. :rockwoot:

R-

• Like 1

Pulled in Saturday am. Set up pulled the cars out, and just sat for while to UNWIND! So after a few, another buddy pulled in and got all situated with him. We had one of our good ol buds hold down the dunes haunt spot for the other 5 rigs to come in. Seems we like it there. Not to thrashed, not too busy yet we can see all coming in and watch the show where the sand pit eats all the newbys up! Just kidding we even helped them get back on the sand! LOL Night perimeter run and landed at Comp. what a fun time seems like all of us needed to let our hair down. Met new peeps by the fire they set up. Then headed back to camp and chilled out by our fire. The rest of the weekend was a blast. The best runs were New Year's Day after Mother Nature blew off some steam herself the night before. WOW what virgin sand! Fast runs made our own lines and did not have to dodge any moving targets. I broke my buggy some FMU issue will have to fix that so I rode with my husband in his HOT BUS cranked up the tunes and had a blast, but not before he put me in our ill 1600 baby step learner buggy! MAN AM I SPOILED! That car beat the sh** out of me. Guess what, I'm am making some changes on that thing for sure. So yeah we had a great time did not talk with any DDR peeps out there although we saw you all. Our next rip will be end of Feb. not prez weekend. Want some smoother lines for sure. Happy new year to you all!

This was our first NYE at Dumont and I was shocked how dead it was. Riding was awesome on Tuesday even though the dunes were a touch rough. Pulled in Sunday afternoon and left Tuesday afternoon. It was chilly and the dunes were about the same as Thanksgiving. Got to meet a SB Sheriff after someone sent off some fireworks near our camp. They were working tandem in two trucks Sunday night. Just doing their job... but the worst part of Dumont in my opinion is it's in California. I felt like they were working pretty hard this weekend for the small crowd that was out there. NYE we went out for a little ride at night and we were the about the only vehicles on the front of the dunes. Loving the Rzr and getting the hang of it.

post-5289-0-41949800-1357264487_thumb.jp

post-5289-0-71859900-1357265081_thumb.jp

post-5289-0-51976600-1357265254_thumb.jp

Edited by VegasRaptor
  • Like 1

here's some pics from our weekend. Sorry they aren't in any order.

Dune time!

gallery_3_93_363459.jpg

I think they're all waiting for me to lead. :laughing:

gallery_3_93_244113.jpg

And we're off!

gallery_3_93_127038.jpg

gallery_3_93_201764.jpg

gallery_3_93_186165.jpg

gallery_3_93_206861.jpg

gallery_3_93_160191.jpg

A great view of the south pole with a big line of duners in our group!

gallery_3_93_160293.jpg

gallery_3_93_276446.jpg

Break time

gallery_3_93_75644.jpg

Anna & Marcia

gallery_3_93_168674.jpg

Jason & Marcia

gallery_3_93_263504.jpg

Following Randog

gallery_3_93_121739.jpg

Lou B eating some of my sand. It's delicious.

gallery_3_93_48972.jpg

Carving it up!

gallery_3_93_158393.jpg

Go Pro dune pics

gallery_3_93_100347.jpg

gallery_3_93_200430.jpg

Break time.

gallery_3_93_146379.jpg

The crew at the north pole

gallery_3_93_261530.jpg

Cody going big!

gallery_3_93_276129.jpg

The other Cody going "big" haha.

gallery_3_93_175032.jpg

gallery_3_93_303836.jpg

passer-by while we were chillen taking a break

gallery_3_93_58067.jpg

braaap

gallery_3_93_30389.jpg

gallery_3_93_214854.jpg

gorgeous day out on Saturday

gallery_3_93_232383.jpg

gallery_3_93_41471.jpg

Me and Anna having a great weekend

gallery_3_93_118193.jpg

STUCK! WOOHOO! :lol:

gallery_3_93_98637.jpg

And this is the pic I took after doing that ^

gallery_3_93_633776.jpg

Parked for the night. Time for cocktails!

gallery_3_93_138441.jpg

Fire time!

gallery_3_93_150927.jpg

Party time!

gallery_3_93_306620.jpg

Do you see an elephant? We did! :shots:

gallery_3_93_149763.jpg

Randog playing ball with his boy, Ryder. Priceless.

gallery_3_93_290496.jpg

Ryder ready to ride!

gallery_3_93_145631.jpg

Sunday night after our last run, we sat up on the top of a dune and enjoyed those awesome skies. With the storm that barely missed Dumont, it made for some cool views.

gallery_3_93_203546.jpg

gallery_3_93_75227.jpg

gallery_3_93_52388.jpg

gallery_3_93_31955.jpg

Others had the same idea.

gallery_3_93_96586.jpg

Sunset from camp

gallery_3_93_151679.jpg

Glowing rain clouds

gallery_3_93_186028.jpg

• Like 1

Those are some awesome pics. We enjoyed the top of dunes and just was in awe of the beauty of it all. Looks like you guys had a great time, I know our group did. Soon we should pull off a run together. Happy New Year!