whats the purpose of the rangers? and the sheriff?

Keep in mind Ive never had a run in with them Ive never been targeted. Ive never even met one that I didnt go up to first. But once we had three lost kids from our camp, and the rangers said, "not our job, check with the sheriff cause our radios dont talk to each other".......I tried to check with the sheriff and got the run around. It was like the blind retard leading the pack.

Anyways, Ive been going to dumont for 15 years or so, and I dont know if I ve ever seen a ranger or a sheriff actually help someone. Ive been broken down out there many times, and not one has ever offered help, not even a ride back to camp. Of all the accidents I ve witnessed Ive never seen any actually do anything. Sure secure the scene.....keep people away, but never seen one actually help someone, its always been wait for someone else. Ive seen countless fellow duners help carry an injuried person, give rides, give a tow, etc etc etc etc......but other than watch rangers and sheriffs pull people over, harass people trying to be safe, and the occasional illegal search, I cant say I ve ever seen them do any good. If the peoples safety was really the issue, why wouldnt thel majority of the staff be medical crews? Theres probably milliions of dollars in equipment out there but they still call for an ambulance?

This morning a sunday morning, me and my boy were out at comp and banshee hills, basically alone. I would guess probably 30 people in all the dunes, but there was a ranger in a razor (20k $ plus ranger spec mods) and then a ranger in a ford truck too......for probably another 50k plus ranger spec mods? Plus fuel, salary......for what? To check on those 30 people? To make sure they are ok? Or to fill the spot that someone ok'ed to get more ot and right a few tickets?

Is there any wonder why california is the worst run state in the union.

Improvements could be made in the service they provide but it is it really as bad as you see it? Work with YNOT and others on the Friends of Dumont Dunes to get things better.

Come to the table with solutions not problems.

I saw them ride their rail up and down comp a few times....must be nice to be able to play on the dunes while working haha...oh, then I saw a ranger in a RZR with his lights on on the finger in front of 6 posing for pictures too haha. :pics:

Edited by flavtfan

Simply to show a presence on busy weekends. Off weekends, you will rarely see any LEO. I have never felt harassed at Dumont, you feel frustrated at the presence, try Glamis on a holiday weekend where LEO make a daily appearance at your camp. :beerpint:

with recent accidents out there i think they are showing a presence to make some people think. I haven't heard as many people talk about having their tags checked. I have my Nevada ones, but its not in the "right" spot per Nevada. Not sure what the LEOs would say or if they know .

Edited by Rap_Rider

there does seem like a division has formed between leos and duners. there doesn't seem to be a partnership like in the past. but you cant fault them for writing tickets for basic laws. we all know the stickers are a pain and only serve to give cali money (unless you have another states sticker)and no flag or tail light will get you pulled over every time. but it does put you off to have a leo come up and start chatting friendly then turn it into a inspection (and possibly a ticket). i have all my lights stickers even insurance but i have started just driving off when they pull up next to me. the less contact i have the less respect i loose for them.

• Like 4

I would like to see them busting the fools that race through camp areas with reckless abandon. I actually came out of my hauler and had a dirt bike track dead through the middle of my camp, about 10 feet from my trailer. I have been hit up for my pass and got asked about my sticker this weekend. I keep my stuff legal so no worries. They headed right out and I didn't feel harrassed at all. Sometimes we have bottles instead of cans in camp around the fire. If we were to get dinged for that I personally would accept it because the rule says no bottles. The unfortunate truth is there seems to be more people that do as they please with no regard for others and thats why they need to let their prescence be known. I think the place would be a dump with a whole lot more accidents without them there.

• Like 4

Rap, as for the right spot....where exactly would be the right spot for sticker that is that freakin big? haha. I REALLY hope they change the size of the sticker...maybe make one size for larger vehicles and smaller ones for bikes and quads....those stickers are hideous and will make me purchase non resident cali stickers probably.

yeah, the stickers are huge. I have mine on the left front fender facing forward and Nevada says it needs to be visible from the rear or left side of the bike. Technically you can see it from the left side with the slant of the fender, but a picky LEO might have an issue. The Leos must be a little bored if they are being picky about the location of the sticker. Fingers crossed that if i come accross them, they are in a good mood. I am always nice to law enforcement even if they are wrong as it's paid off for me in the past.

Rap, as for the right spot....where exactly would be the right spot for sticker that is that freakin big? haha. I REALLY hope they change the size of the sticker...maybe make one size for larger vehicles and smaller ones for bikes and quads....those stickers are hideous and will make me purchase non resident cali stickers probably.

If all of your stickers and lights and everything else is in order, then you have nothing to worry about, Right??? If they stop and "Harrass" you, technically they are just doing thier job to make sure EVERYONE is following the rules. If the LEO's randomly stop someone simply to check if they have proper tags, and then find out that - that driver has had a few too many beers...I dont care if thats the only stop all year that actually provides results, They did thier damn job to make Dumont a little safer for everyone.

Sandawg has it right!!! You need to bring solutions to the table. BLM is known to check this site and others, they are reading all of this. If you want to make a difference, go to the meetings and voice your concerns.

One of my first posts on this site was about "Camp Racers". There are way too many people going way to fast and coming way too close for safety. What I would like to see is a LEO just sitting in plain sight in the major thouroughfares to help prevent and enforce the 15mph within 50' law (I think it's 50'). Set it up like a speedtrap on the highway. People tend to slow down when the LEO's are visible.

I cant easily make the BLM meetings otherwise I would be there to offer this SOLUTION, maybe someone could bring it up for me at the next meeting.

Bottom line, if you are following the rules, you have nothing to worry about! You may not like the rules or paying extra for a sticker, but you have to pay to play, having fun in this day and age means opening your wallet, I would get used to it, I dont see it getting any cheaper!

• Like 1

we have been going to dumont and glamis a long time...we was at dumont christmas till new years...u all seen us at comp when its cold we drive our subaru car to comp...(((yes it makes it with no problem)))...lol...anyways...we dont drink and drive or do anything wrong...we chilled at comp new years eve night...for a few mins...all that was there was about 20 cops...and 3 rails...lol so we left...the cop in the dodge truck followed us...witch was no big deal we are legit...we drove back to camp...parked and walked over to our camp fire ...he pulls up...i go over to chat with him figured he was gonna ask about the car...lol instead he asked for my id...and 3 other cops pull up...no biggie im legit and not drinking and no problem with gettin checked out...my wife walks over he says he wants her id...then said dont move stand still...checks my car comes back clean...checks our id.s they come back clean...he tells the other cops they are clean...so its about 11.30pm...most of our camp is sleeping...he starts checking every quad and rail...everything had a sticker but our 4 year old.s quad and a 200hunting quad we borrowed from a friend for my 12 year old to ride if he got to come out but he didnt the quad got pushed off trailer and out if the way to get the rail off...he writes me a $125 ticket..wtf...i was nice never said one bad word...gave them respect even asked how there weekend was...stupid...i understand it didnt have a sticker...but come on no one was ridong it...and the law on the dumont blm site states u have to have a sticker to operate...but it wasnt used...lol???he said he has been writing tickets for anything parked running or not on a trailer or not...if it didnt have a sticker...this is probally why dumont is slowly dieing...makes us not wanna go..and makes it hard to respect them...

• Like 1

oooo im gonna go to court...its not the money thats the problem...its the thing of this cop in the dodge thats making dumont suck...he was writing tickets the whole 7 days we was there...but not doing what we feel a cop should do...we was at comp one day and those kids in the khaoz twiw turbo ls tatum rail was acting crazy and unsafe...riding wheelies threw everybody at the bottom of comp...and driving crazy around people...and rousted the peoplee next to us...came real close to them...the lady chewed the drivers a$$...but the whole time the cop in the dodge was writing a ticket to a lady without a sticker...that copneeds to not be at dumont...he also went to every campby us...looking for stckers to write tickets for...lol bet he wrote $20.000 in tickets...anyways happy new years everybody...see u out there soon...

• 1 year later...