Dakar 2013

dunefreak

Anyone following it? It's on NBC Sports channel this year.

It always amazes me the terrain that those guys cover. Those dunes look SO bitchen. :headbang1:

Anyways, sounds like Robby Gordon had some bad luck today with a slow rollover. :( I like his attitude and like to see him do good. I hope he can recover from this little hiccup.

post-3-0-74996300-1357697996_thumb.jpg

"We started off second and we got through some really gnarly, silty stuff. We went over a dune and it was just straight down with one right end to it. We idled into it just enough to tip us over the front, honestly, five miles an hour probably, it wasn't a big rollover. Except it put all the weight of the vehicle on the front, broke the windshield and flopped it on its roof and we had to wait for new radiators to get to us. It was a long wait."

"It's been a disappointing rally for us; we expected so much more. The first day I was too conservative and this dune I went over just a little too much, so we can't find a happy medium I guess. The rollover was honestly five miles an hour. It stood on the top for a while and I thought it was going to come backwards, but it just flopped over. It wasn't that dangerous except for the fact that we were on the other side of the dune. It was probably five to seven minutes before Peterhansel got there, so we'd already put some gap on him, but that doesn't do us any good now."

"You know, we just needed to have a good day today. I don't know what's going wrong… Like I said, we've just had a horrible rally so far this year. I don't see a bright side coming, because it's going to be a long ten days. Last year we were so good most of the rally and this year we started off conservatively like I did last year and it's just been unfortunate. We haven't been able to put it all together."

"We've got the team, we've got the cars, but I guess the drivers are making mistakes. It's just unfortunate. I think we're going to have sit back and see if it really makes sense to continue or not."

As for the bikes, I'm rooting for Cyril Despres. He is one helluva rally rider and trains like crazy. I admire his riding style and techniques.

post-3-0-41347400-1357698568_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-13995700-1357698567_thumb.jpg

As for those dunes...oh my god! Check these suckers out...

i started recording it on the DVr, and watched some of the Youtube stuff. Those dunes are AWESOME!!. and so endless.

Sucks for Robby, i think he's cool. he can be a d*ck, but i think his attitude is about what mine would be if i were there.

they didn't show much of the quads, but it was all pretty cool. The big a$$ trucks are insane,

i started recording it on the DVr, and watched some of the Youtube stuff. Those dunes are AWESOME!!. and so endless.

Sucks for Robby, i think he's cool. he can be a d*ck, but i think his attitude is about what mine would be if i were there.

they didn't show much of the quads, but it was all pretty cool. The big a$$ trucks are insane,

No joke! I can't believe the stuff that those "big rigs" drive through! :dayum:

Yeah Robby can be a bit arrogant at times, but sometimes you can't put up with any sh*t and that's the attitude that intimidates your competitors. He's persistent and determined and that's what I like about him.

Here's another update video that Planet Robby posted up.

http://youtu.be/hlvJWjPYY1w

Pete, you sure you're not rooting for Cyrils bike? Robbie should have panic revved it like he usually does, especialy when it teeters on the nose.

Hahahaa maybe I'm KTM biased and just don't know it. That guy can ride though! He's so smooth.

Former co-worker had driven those big trucks in the Dakar for years. This was the first year I would actually been able to go and work in their pits, but he couldn't go. Just my effin luck!

It's fuggin crazy how those dudes haul a$$ through the dunes on those big bikes. Love watching it!

I'm thinking it might be easier to plan a duning trip to Chile than Dubai...

My buddy Jason is there now.

Jason owns Temper Mental Racing (TMR) and builds and races these off road trucks.

He just finished and sold a truck that is in this race and they asked him to go down and help, so he's a big part of their crew down there.

His wife has been sending updates of their progress.

Here's a link and a pic of the SHOT truck he built for these guys.

http://www.baja-truc...ild-truck-dakar

post-591-0-55441400-1357795724_thumb.jpg

Jason just won 1st in the Baja 1000 with his truck for his class a couple months ago. :headbang1:

The ONLY reason he hasn't built a truck for me is $$$$$$. :laughing: Sure looks fun though.

Here's one of J and Robby the other night. Robby and his crew let Jasons crew barrow some CV grease.

And helped with a ventilation system.

post-591-0-83504200-1357795779_thumb.jpg

Funny story about your buddy Jason, He worked at the same bike shop I started at (Covina Valley Cyclery) before I worked there. Then I hear Ron talk about him one day at the shop, and now you know him. Anybody else want to jump in and say they know him!!! :laughing:

Robby and the others that finished stage 6 (i think), got screwed because they gave all the others the +12 minutes because of the water... and Nassar got stuck. rules for the Dakar are all screwed up it seems. Robby could have, and should have, made up a bunch of time on that stage.