my experience getting nv ohv stickers, vin inspections

First, I d like to say that I went to Carter, because I pull a big trailer and they are easy to get in and out of. I never have really been a customer of thiers before, but today I was helped by a guy named Brian that really was great to deal with. They even called two other people out to help.

According to the nv ohv site, you have to go to a dealer FIRST. They have to determine if you have a vin or dont and what it is. Then if you dont, they sign off on it and you head to the dmv. The dmv is suppose to complete that paper. THEY DONT, they have thier own and didnt care if I had already gone to the a dealer or not. So I new I didnt have vins on a couple, no big deal, I was planing on a trip to the dmv. THey DO NOT ISSUE VINS ON THE SPOT (like carter thought, because another guy said they did, and came back with a number stamped in, he did it, not the dmv) They handed me rivets, and wrote gave rivets to owner. So NOw I have 1. page front dealer saying there is no vin, a 2nd from the dmv saying there is no vin and that they gave me rivets to attach my new vin when I get it.

One was a pepboys bought baja 50 cc quad (china) that my father in law bought in 06. They dont have a vin, but it does have a plate that says 50, baja and 2006. At one point the dmv said I d have to have the receipt from purchase, I LOL cause yea, no I dont have a receipt from 7 years ago from pepboys. They later said I DONT need it.

They did look over them very well, even the china 50 cc pit bike. They had a problem with it because it has nothing on it, no name, no model etc....so they gave in and said its home made....LOL again

The sandrail was the easiest.

The dmv guys said this is all new to them ,and they really dont know what to do. That this was thrown at them and they didnt think there was much thought in the process. That gives you confidence doesnt it?

I had to then go back to Carter. But as it turns out I probably wouldnt have if we would have done everything else on the first visit. Cater thought I would return with a vin, for them to inspect. But instead the dmv just gave me a blank vin paper a to send in and rivets. I guess carson city sends the vin via mail. ? I hope so cause thats what the dmv thinks they do. So there is no need for a dealer to do anything after you go to the dmv. I had to go back because we thought we would just do them all at the same time....I had 8 total.

In the end I got 5 vins inspected by Carter and the dmv gave me paper work on 3 more. So I have everything to send in once I get the notaries done.

Costs....10$ each for vin inspection. Titles help....

40$ for Carter to do everything, as long as you have a vin. They will notarize it and mail it for that.

and probably 20$ in fuel driving around.

Since my bank will do a couple notaries for free, I m going that way ....and sending my stuff in.

I only have two more to do, and once one runs again, Ill run them down also.

I was surprised that both Carter and the dmv said they havnt really done much.

I went to ridenow for my inspections and they didn't charge me a penny to do 2 vin inspections. 1 for the Rhinoand the other for my home built sand rail.........Carter charged $10 bucks for each......They saw you coming!

I also need to get this done. Sounds like a nightmare, although I've got VIN's & titles, so maybe it won't be so bad. Any idea how long it takes to get the BILLBOARD sized OHV stickers from the time you start the process, to the time you actually get them? Do they issue a temp. sticker by chance?

ridenow did mine for free, and I beleive the VIN inspections are supposed to be free. The dealer can charge $2 to file, but pretty sure they are NOT supposed to charge to do a VIN inspection.

How to Register Your OHV

• A Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) inspection will have to be completed by a licensed Nevada OHV dealer or a sworn law enforcement officer if your vehicle has never been registered or titled in Nevada. See OHV Business License Verification for a list of licensed dealers.
  • The dealer who completes the inspection may submit the application and other documents on your behalf or you may mail them yourself. Dealers may charge up to $2 for each registration and/or title application submitted. Decals are issued by mail only.
  • The Nevada Certificate of Title, if issued, is processed separately from the registration decal. The DMV may contact you for additional information or proof of ownership. The title will be mailed to the lender or other lienholder, if any, or to the owner if there is no lienholder.

The above is from the ohvnv.com site.

I did a write up about getting the stickers as well on another thread. http://www.dumontduneriders.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=17681

It's not too bad to get the stickers and title when you have a vin and a title in hand. I was lucky enough to have the Ridenow Bill of sale to get my title, and i had some issues with the sticker, but i did mine really early. The tag on my raptor is #000168.

I just got my sticker in the mail today.It took 9 days from the time I maied the paper work and check to the DMV. Also had my VIN checks done at Ridenow on Boulder highway now charge. Just make sure they get the VIN number right had to do one of the quads twice becuse Ridenow put a 5 for the letter S and i did not check before mailing the paperwork.

I called the ohv division of the dmv to see what i had to do. Since i have a title for my sand rail i dont have to get a vin inspection. She emailed me the 2 pieces of paper i had to fill out and mail in. Easy peasy.

I went to ridenow for my inspections and they didn't charge me a penny to do 2 vin inspections. 1 for the Rhinoand the other for my home built sand rail.........Carter charged $10 bucks for each......They saw you coming!

LOL, $10 per vehicle. I could see a dealership verifying for free if someone is a long time customer and had bought the equipment through them, but when did getting paid for time spent doing something for a customer become such a rip off? :beerpint:

LOL, $10 per vehicle. I could see a dealership verifying for free if someone is a long time customer and had bought the equipment through them, but when did getting paid for time spent doing something for a customer become such a rip off?

Exactly my thoughts. Whooo... $10 each! Yikes lol

lol, It's a rip off when the other deal does it for free, for anyone. The OHV site says the dealer MAY charge up to $2 to submit the paperwork. It doesn't say whether they can charge for inspections or not.

Bottom line i guess if someone is happy with paying $10, instead of free then it really doesn't matter.

lol, It's a rip off when the other deal does it for free, for anyone. The OHV site says the dealer MAY charge up to $2 to submit the paperwork. It doesn't say whether they can charge for inspections or not. Bottom line i guess if someone is happy with paying $10, instead of free then it really doesn't matter.

No, not really. It's all about convenience. Time=money for may people. Sounds like it was $ well spent in 1320's case.

I'm confused......again.

Why is it a rip off ?, if I get my inspection done for free. It appears to me that Ride Now on Boulder Hiway has a policy of not charging for these inspections. At least, that is was what Iwas told by their represenative that helped me. Help me out here RAP! :dunno:

I am not a customer of Ride Now, in fact I have posted a couple of times, on here, that they have had a lot to be desired in their service. However, they are under new management and things seem to be imporving in the area of customer service.

:old:

Pat I think the old man in you is coming out... lol.... (seriously just messing with you)

I was reffering to Carter charging $10 per bike as a rip off since Ride now does the same thing for free to anyone that asks. Not sure if the Yamaha store down there charges or not. $10 is no much of a big deal if Carter is close to you with towing and all. But for 5 or 10 OHVs that ads up. Personally I think Carter, who I do like as a store just fine, is just being greedy. (but I am also cheap) As i said earlier in regards to Pete though, if people think the $10 is fair and it works out better for them then it makes sense. At least people might know the difference in going to different places now that we have beat the dead horse... lol :beatdeadhorse:

Now just go out and :atv: . :)

I'm confused......again.

Why is it a rip off ?, if I get my inspection done for free. It appears to me that Ride Now on Boulder Hiway has a policy of not charging for these inspections. At least, that is was what Iwas told by their represenative that helped me. Help me out here RAP! :dunno:

I am not a customer of Ride Now, in fact I have posted a couple of times, on here, that they have had a lot to be desired in their service. However, they are under new management and things seem to be imporving in the area of customer service.

:old:

OK Rap, the old man is coming out in me. There have been so many posts recently that I can't make sense of. Not just by you.

Posting in a forum like this is not like talking to someone. There is no tone of voice or anything that could help in understanding what people are saying. It is easy to type something and not think how someone might interpet it. That 's the problem. Interpetation is a sorry way of figuring out what someone is trying to say, in my humble opinion.

Edited by sandawg

I was alright with the charge, and yes it is time and convience to me. I live in GV and its an easy drive to decatur and the 215 and easy in and out with my 65ft long rig. Plus it took probably an hour total.

• 4 weeks later...