Toyhauler or motorhome with trailer?

My wife and I have a 23' motorhome and want something bigger. We were thinking of getting a toyhauler. Just wanted to get some opinions from people that have one. Looking for a 33' or bigger fifth wheel. We have a 4 seat rail that is 14' long and 2 quads that have to go in it.

I've done both. Had a 40' diesel pusher/28' cargo box. Now a 38' 5th wheel TH...There are pros and cons to each

I like the MH pulling a cargo box. I'm very comfortable rolling 65-70 feet of iron, but I know thats not for everybody. When you got there, the coach doesnt have the smell of gas lingering. Also, On a windy trip, you could do emergency work on the rail in the trailer, which held all the tools...

I currently have a 5er. Cheaper insurance, cheaper on fuel, no extra drivetrain to maintain(batteries, fuel lines, filters, air valves, tires, etc), just 5 minutes to hitch up and we're gone!!! My wife likes it better too; the kids have a big area in the 5er to run around in, on said windy days at the dunes. I also feel the 5er doesn't get tossed around the lane with passing trucks, as bad as anything with a bumper pull. The other nice thing is once your camp is set up, you can always run into town with the pickup, for parts, food, or medical emergencies.

I wanted to obtain the MH dream for years, and its got it's perks, but for our family, the TH was just so much more practical. I already had my 1 ton pickup as well, so it was a no brainer. I''m interested to here other's insight on this as well :beercheers:

I have had both and currently have a 40' M/H with a 30' trailer. i prefer the M/H over the 40' fifth wheel for a coupe of reasons. First of all the big fifth wheels are just to much weight for a standard 1 ton truck. The M/H handles the weight and stopping power without any real concerns. If the weather is crap when you pull in you drop the jacks, put the slides out and have a cold beverage. Downside is yes it is more maintenance but unless you have a smaller vehicle to do your everyday driving you put the miles and time on your pull vehicle which all kind of evens out in my opinion. I have thought about going to a different rig but just can't give up the perks the M/H has. Plus I like not having to change the tires on the car to get it in the toy hauler and my tools and other stuff has it's place in cabinets out of sight and not taking up space in the garage portion of the 5vr. Now it seems like most toy haulers have "Garages" instead of being a open floor plan which makes it harder to get your stuff to the dunes.

Another nice thing about the M/H is that if your travelling to another dune area or anywhere for that matter you don't have to unload to use the coach overnight in a campground or wally world parking lot.

I don't mind the 70 feet either. My wife does so it would be me driving. If we did a TH the she would be OK driving. A A 40' 5er is to much for a 1 ton truck? really? Wow I would have never thought that. If I did a TH I think it would have to be an open plan right with the amount of things I have to put in. Very good point about having to unload to setup if we go somewhere else because that's our intentions. And I do have another vehicle to drive. The tow vehicle is just for towing and sits parked until needed.

I don't mind the 70 feet either. My wife does so it would be me driving. If we did a TH the she would be OK driving. A A 40' 5er is to much for a 1 ton truck? really? Wow I would have never thought that. If I did a TH I think it would have to be an open plan right with the amount of things I have to put in. Very good point about having to unload to setup if we go somewhere else because that's our intentions. And I do have another vehicle to drive. The tow vehicle is just for towing and sits parked until needed.

Most guys do tow 40' TH 's with 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks. They have plenty of power but it's the stopping in an emergency that always scared the hell out of me. Most if you can get them to tell you the real truth are or should be concerned about stopping that thing when someone pulls out in front of them. My point is can you explain it to a jury in a civil trial? If I can't or don't feel I can then it's not enough truck. When I had my 40' TH I moved up from an F350 to a F60 Freightliner. It wouldn't go up the hills as fast but I had no more white knuckle descents either. I guess the same thing can be said for a MH as to stopping but at least my M/H out weighs what I am towing.

Edited by ynot

I dont think stopping should be an issue in either case really. I have 4 brakes and 6 tires on the truck and 6 brakes on the trailer to stop 26k lbs. A MH and trailer far outweighs even me if its a biggun with similar tire to road and brakes. I know I drive far differently sure, and I come down hills slower then I go up. But Id drive the same way in a mh too. Ive had two MH's that I pulled trailers with. It was just costly and inconvient to not have another vehicle (like you do when you simply unhitch). If you do pull a big 5th, a good working exhuast brake is needed (1000$ in some cases).

I liked one MH I had and didnt like the other. In retrospect I love my truck and all it can do....in other ways. Its funny cause I anticipate that in my later years....Ill go to a diesel pusher and some sort of small car for traveling.

I don't have an opinion, only my preference.

I hate to get "stuck" so I want the 4 wheel drive of a truck. I also don't like to have nothing to drive when I get somewhere. The truck is easy to disconnect from my Toy Hauler to make a trip for what ever reason. I like the freedom to be able to leave or take side trips if I need or want to.

A fifth wheel would be my preference if I didn't need the back of the truck to haul my Rhino so the tag along trailer works the best for me and allows a smaller towed trailer and a 3/4 ton truck with no issues.

Good luck on your decision.

:old::usa:

Braking shouldn't be an issue in either, a TH or MH, as much as your descent speed...

What are we talking; 20-25k lbs(TH)? Rigs routinely run 80,000 lbs. Permit loads go up from there. My pete is much lighter than the loads it carries @ 16k lbs of an 80k gross. Never been an issue, never jacknifed, never an accident for that matter. The problem is too many guys jump behind the wheel of some weight, and drive like they're in their prius. You just have to give yourself the proper distance, and slow your roll on the downgrades a lil'.

If either was unsafe, the DOT wouldn't approve them :beercheers:

Well, was down at ocottilo wells for easter and the subject of weight came up, So on the way home I weighed at the AM PM market in salton city. 2008 chevy 3500 crew cab 4x4 and a weekend warrior 38 foot 5th wheel with no fuel or water rzr s 800 and a raptor 700.

25640 pounds yes 25640 on a cat certified truck scale! da ya think it might be over wieght by 10000????

Wow, Im surprised its that heavy. Im guessing just like newer cars all the newer trucks have probably gained weight too. Im only guessing but I bet the truck is 9000 +-....a small amount. My 98 dodge extended cab (cummins , 6 speed) with a tool box/fuel tank in the bed is 7500. With my trailer I sticker over 26000 so I have a class A. That trailer must be heavvvvvvvy. I put a suby 4 pass rail , a 4 pass samuria, and 7 quads in my trailer...with water, beds, tv, all the toy hauler stuff, and scaled 26 100 with two adults and three kids.

Dead empty my trailer was 10k before the toy hauler build out.

my last trip was one vw rail, and 9 quads and one motorcycle...(50cc) and it was noticablly lighter.

back on topic, its deffinately my preferance to tow a trailer with a capable truck.