How is the condition of the cane beds road?

dunefreak

What's 40 minutes has always been my question? \The dunes will be there, no road stress from sh*tty dirt roads and holes to sink your trailer along with the occasional cow standing in the wrong place. I always went through Kanab stopped at the Mexican restaurant for a late dinner and to buy some of their great salsa and away to the meadows from there. I gave up on beating the sh*t out of my equipment and stress of the cane bed years ago.

My 2 cents worth, have fun!!

• Like 1

What's 40 minutes has always been my question? \The dunes will be there, no road stress from sh*tty dirt roads and holes to sink your trailer along with the occasional cow standing in the wrong place. I always went through Kanab stopped at the Mexican restaurant for a late dinner and to buy some of their great salsa and away to the meadows from there. I gave up on beating the sh*t out of my equipment and stress of the cane bed years ago.

My 2 cents worth, have fun!!

Well here's why. Last time we took the cane beds road, it was literally in perfect condition. It didn't beat my trailer up at all like previous trips before that one. It cut a about an hour off our travel time. This trip we don't have the luxury of leaving early so it will be late Friday night. I'd like to get there before midnight if possible. If we rolled through Kanab that late in the evening, everything will be closed anyways.

last year cane beds was pretty bad. Mike broke a window in the hauler from the flexing. Even with my little trailer i was only going about 25-35mph. and there were some pretty bad washboard areas, and holes through out. There was also a long gravel section just before the camp ground. It was pretty smooth last year, just super dusty following, but they might not have smoothed that out making another bad section.

PS...Is anyone getting there early? like Thursday night. Last year when we got there memorial weekend on Thursday night the meadows were pretty busy and by friday night it was like a sardine can.

Edited by Rap_Rider

last year cane beds was pretty bad. Mike broke a window in the hauler from the flexing. Even with my little trailer i was only going about 25-35mph. and there were some pretty bad washboard areas, and holes through out. There was also a long gravel section just before the camp ground. It was pretty smooth last year, just super dusty following, but they might not have smoothed that out making another bad section.

PS...Is anyone getting there early? like Thursday night. Last year when we got there memorial weekend on Thursday night the meadows were pretty busy and by friday night it was like a sardine can.

Unless Steve gets there early, nobody is getting there early that is in our group. We will only have the 2 rigs (so far). We'll see. We may just avoid the cane beds road just in case.

As for being packed, I'm not too worried about it. We'll find a spot and squeeze in somewhere. I just found the pic that Jodi posted from the Sat morning of last year's Memorial weekend and that was NOTHING like it used to be. If you think that was bad, you should have seen it back in 04/05. You couldn't even drive through from one end to another if you had a big rig.

Last year, Sat AM

post-3-0-18234900-1368757533_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-12055800-1368757349_thumb.jpg

A guy I work with was just there last weekend.He didnt travel the road but asked about it because he was thinking about using it.

He was told all but 4 miles of it is paved now.might be able to call the ranger station and ask them.

I think that 4 miles has been paved for a while now. I might try to call. ;)

Call first! If they haven't graded it yet, after the winter they had, the 4 miles would be brutal. If they have your in free!

You've got it backwards, Pat. The first 4 miles will be smooth sailing pavement THEN it will be brutal. :laughing:

Just called the ranger station and they said there hasn't been a blade run over the road yet and he wasn't sure if they will before Memorial weekend. He said it was pretty wash-boarded and you probably would leave your axles behind. haha Looks like we're going through Kanab and getting in late. .

Was their 3 weeks ago, the road is as wash boarded as I have ever seen but no soft spots I took my 36 pusher and 20 ft enclosed with no issues just slow going

We will be out thurs am but camping in the ceder trees and trail riding

We ended up taking it. Cane Beds wasn't that bad at all. A little wash board, but nothing worse that Dumont's entrance road. I kept track of the road and it's only 4.7 miles of dirt between the sections of pavement- barley longer than Dumont's road. We just kept it slow and shaved a good hour off our drive.