Fabbing some new parts for the rail

nwtdiesel

So my car has a mild steel header/manifold exhaust and it starting to get little cracks here and there. The collector looks like crap too. I dont like how the charge pipe necks down to 2" and its made of mild steel as well. I also think a intercooler will help alot so time to add one of those i guess.

The new header/manifold will be a thicker stainless for durability and more equal length tubes, the collector will be custom built and be more of a performance collector helping turbo spool and performance. The charge pipes will be all aluminum for lighter weight and to help dissipate heat alot better plus will be a bit larger. Just started the new ss manifold today, If we have time and if the intercooler shows up in time we will have it installed by thursday so i can load up and get ready to head out Fri at noon to dumont. Stay tuned for pics! I will start off with a couple pics of the set up before we started and add more through out the week.

SandLimo3_zpse23f3165.jpg

SandLimo5_zps190691fa.jpg

Thats the old set up. Here are some pics of the new collector so far. Trying to get it all done by Thurs so i can go to Dumont Fri for Memorial!!!

SandLimo8_zps5eda8ae4.jpg

SandLimo9_zpsbe25545f.jpg

SandLimo10_zps8b08c36f.jpg

Edited by nwtdiesel

Looks great! Keep the pics coming.

Thanks!

Here is the inside of the collector, it still needs some cleaning up but that will come last after everything is tigged up

SandLimo13_zps2ff0bd07.jpg

This is us just doing some mocking up, i decided to change it up cause i was afraid the exhaust was hanging down to low and might get hit on a steep departure angle so its actually going to look different from this but heres a pic anyway showing you guys how we tried to come up with a equal length system.

SandLimo11_zps1857023e.jpg

SandLimo12_zps76592275.jpg

I will have better pics for you tomorrow, this is all i took earlier tonight. The intercooler is supposed to be here any time so that will be on soon too.

I've built a couple of exhausts...Is it safe to presume this is not your first? :laughing:

That's coming along very nicely!!! :beercheers:

HAHA no we have built one or two :) Thanks forn the compliments!

Should be all done tomorrow and have the finished pics of exhaust, intercooler and charge pipes.

SandLimo14_zps6a70a98e.jpg

SandLimo18_zpsd2b06fe5.jpg

SandLimo15_zps389772e8.jpg

SandLimo17_zps688e8fa6.jpg

Edited by nwtdiesel

Wish i could take all the credit but i have some amazing friends and fab guys. To make welds like that it has to be done by someone who welds daily. Will look amazing when done tomorrow!

My friends help me with manifolds, headers, tubo kits, intercoolers, brackets, spacers... we do it all here in Vegas

Edited by nwtdiesel

Do you have a good friend that does vinyl wraps or something? you have everything wrapped up so nice. We need to do that to our stuff.

Thanks man, yes i have a friend that owns Warrior Wraps off Valley View and Russell. His name is Mike Falkner. Wrapping the vehicles helps bring in the business and from what i have found it is the best advertising you can do! Pay once and your done. Keep in mind any vehicles you wrap with the company logo needs commercial insurance so if you crash into someone and they get hurt real bad they cant sue you for everything you own. Tell Mike i sent you he will give you a deal.

Looks great! I wish I could say mine turned out that nice :P

How about the performance side of it; did you see any significant gains?

I dont have any dyno sheets or anything like that but the power felt much better and the intake temps were far far lower by what it felt like 100 degree drop easily. I could barely touch the hot side intake pipe cause it was so hot but the cold side coming out of the intercooler was nice and cool. Spool seamed to be just as good as before even with the added intercooler, i think mostly becase we used larger pipe and had a much better collector plus we ditched the steel pipe and used aluminum which stays cooler. We had to do a lot of re tuning

but eventually got it close. I think it needs some smaller injectors now since its running so much cooler its having a hard time keeping heat in the turbo.

Edited by nwtdiesel