June 15th- early morning ride at Dumont

dunefreak

OK everyone. It's official. As per this---> thread , the date is Saturday, June 15th- early morning summer run to Dumont Dunes.

When to leave town

In the past I have found the very latest you want to leave Vegas is 4am. The sun rises at 5:30 in June at Dumont. I'm not sure about the best time to leave for those coming from CA. Depends on where you are coming from.

When to meet at D

5:30 AM at B4 on the grid map below

Have your stuff gassed up and ready to go. Hell, wear some of your gear there if you can to save time. It gets hot very quickly so time is of the essence in order to get a few good runs in. So don't be wrenching on your bike when you get there. Be ready! :grin:

carpooling

For the Vegas people, whoever would like to carpool- post up. Maybe we can work something out. I'm sure we can manage to bring just a couple trucks and flatbeds to make it as cheap as possible. So far I know I am pretty full with 4-5 quads. Me, Mike B, Sand_YFZ, Chadwick and desertdweller. There were others interested but not 100%. So additional trucks/ trailers will be needed. Post up and let's figure it out.

Time and place to meet leaving Vegas if you'd like to carpool: we'll be leaving the Blue Diamond Travel Center (located at the 160 and 159/ Red Rock turnoff) at 4AM sharp. Get there 3:30-3:45 AM.

grid-map.jpg

Let's ride!

gallery_3_102_65451.jpg

I am planning on going, and I think Mike is as well. We should be able to take 2 other quads on Mike's Flat bed trailer, and we have room in our trucks also.

We can take my flat bed but if we take my truck there is a big chunk of metal in the way in the bed.

My previous trips to Dumont have been in my jeep ...

Since I'm New to ATVs i was wondering if i should put my sand tires on when i travel ?

So do i throw it in back of truck or should i throw it on trailer with blocks to elevate it of tread ...

whats the preferred method of Hauling ?!

Since I'm New to ATVs i was wondering if i should put my sand tires on when i travel ?

So do i throw it in back of truck or should i throw it on trailer with blocks to elevate it of tread ...

Put your sand tires on at home. You don't want to be messing with tires at the dunes while everybody takes off to go for a ride and it starts getting hot.

It doesn't hurt them to haul with the paddles on. Put them on at home. :thumb:

So you haven't ever ridden a quad at Dumont then?

We can take my flat bed but if we take my truck there is a big chunk of metal in the way in the bed.

I meant we have 4 door trucks, with room for 4 adults inside, trailer will fit 4 quads.

I haul my bikes around with the paddles. The Sandstars do fine just sitting on the paddles. My Outlaw sat like that for months with no long term issue. My Skat Traks are on aligned, so they sit on the flat spot between the paddles.

A summer ride is usually pretty hairy, so make sure to tighten the wheels, fill tank, and tighten boots and Helmet strap tight... you just might need them.

It doesn't hurt them to haul with the paddles on. Put them on at home. :thumb:

So you haven't ever ridden a quad at Dumont then?

No but i plan on staying at a Holiday Inn the night before ...

Ive ridden dirtbikes with sand tires, but never a quad.

Ive got a trx400ex and these

6776e617-d4e8-4b01-87fc-31f2e638a756.jpg

Boots ... do i need them to ride casually out there, put nerf bars on after the first time my foot rest landed on my calf :-)

thanks for any feedback its important i return in one piece, i got kids Yo !

Full gear is a must if you plan on riding with the group, depending on who shows up it can get very fast paced and the summer dunes are very smooth but they have very sharp razors as well. In the past nacar style runs and bumper quad rides have been some of the terms used to descibe some of the rides. Don't let that scare you off just need to be prepared and have all your gear on.

• Like 1

Like sandseeker said we usually ride a pretty fast pace, but the dunes can be a little sketchy in the summer. It's the razorbacks that usually hold people back. They can be very sharp in June. Being that this may be a larger group this trip, I can keep it fairly tame. :twisted: However, we are there to have fun and summer dune run groups are experienced riders. Just don't do anything you aren't comfortable with and never ride above your limits and always wear boots!

The razor backs were pretty knarly last weekend :rockon:

If i cant get my trans fixed in time i have two trailers available if someone needs them. One is a 12' single axle enclosed and the other is a 22' flat bed double axle that can hold 10,000lbs. Even if my car isnt ready my good buddy is looking at a twin turbo Extreme car this week he might buy. He put three offers out on some pretty sick sand cars so hopefully we will still be there testing out his new toy!

• Like 1

The summer runs are a special moment out at Dumont. You literally have the entire place to yourself and not even BLM is stupid enough to go out there! You won't find smoother softer sand during the normal season than in the summer. Every year when I wake up at 4:00 am I wonder what the hell I'm doing until I get out there and ride the epic dunes. Breath taking is all I can say!

• Like 1

is anyone going from up north??

we can meet at our shop. 3660 N 5th st. and carpool from up there.

will see about carpooling with Newly if he needs my quad.

I might take you up on that Adam, I will know more soon, but I am at Ann and Losee.