Up date on DAC/ RAC and fee increase?

Friends of Dumont Dunes – Report on the 11th annual clean up March 16, 2013

Members Items From the Floor

Adjournment

Edited by ynot
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Terry, don't mean to bug you, but was there anything of interest at the BLM meeting? Thanks, Bob

Sorry Bob about not getting back to you. I have been having computer issues. Anyway the head of BLM's district LEO and the Division Commander for Barstow SB S/O was also there to discuss the way Law Enforcement is handled at Dumont. Apparently they have a new BLM LEO who lives in Pahrump and one of his exclusive duties will be to patrol the Dumont area to check for passes on off weekends and to have a prescience there. BLM is trying to get a grant from the DAC to provide funds for this.

Both San Bernardino and BLM's Law Enforcement programs have been cut in half by the so - called sequester and they are scrambling to figure out how to afford all the upkeep on equipment and provide adequate coverage for the holiday weekends. It appears that visitor usage has dropped by about 25% from last year which was a fairly substantial drop from the year before that. This is a good and a bad thing.

Good for those of us that prefer less people and more dunes to run without overcrowding, the bad is the lack of road maintaince, on hand EMT's and LEO's. If you get hurt it may be a life and death situation and there may be no one to help until the closest ranger/EMT shows up. You know that can be a 45 minute to 90 minute wait. I would suggest that someone in each group take a couple of basic first aid courses just in case?

As far as the fee changes it looks like we are waiting for Glamis to get it's act together in order to submit our request for the 2 pass agenda. This looks like it will go on for another year. I am very unhappy about this but it appears tat Glamis is the bully on the block as far as BLM and the DAC.

Other than that not to much going on, the new or shall I say the people that applied to sit on the sub-group will be notified by the end of July whether they were accepted or not. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Terry

As Alfred E. Newman would say: "What... me Worry?"

1/2 or less-Law enforcement

1/2 or less-medical

1/2 or less road maintenance

It's like the drunk responded to a question.

Do you have a drinking problem? He said Hell NO....I get drunk, fall down, pass out......NO PROBLEM!

:dunno::blury::slap:

I guess these are the changes so many voted for!

Sorry Bob about not getting back to you. I have been having computer issues. Anyway the head of BLM's district LEO and the Division Commander for Barstow SB S/O was also there to discuss the way Law Enforcement is handled at Dumont. Apparently they have a new BLM LEO who lives in Pahrump and one of his exclusive duties will be to patrol the Dumont area to check for passes on off weekends and to have a prescience there. BLM is trying to get a grant from the DAC to provide funds for this.

Both San Bernardino and BLM's Law Enforcement programs have been cut in half by the so - called sequester and they are scrambling to figure out how to afford all the upkeep on equipment and provide adequate coverage for the holiday weekends. It appears that visitor usage has dropped by about 25% from last year which was a fairly substantial drop from the year before that. This is a good and a bad thing.

Good for those of us that prefer less people and more dunes to run without overcrowding, the bad is the lack of road maintaince, on hand EMT's and LEO's. If you get hurt it may be a life and death situation and there may be no one to help until the closest ranger/EMT shows up. You know that can be a 45 minute to 90 minute wait. I would suggest that someone in each group take a couple of basic first aid courses just in case?

As far as the fee changes it looks like we are waiting for Glamis to get it's act together in order to submit our request for the 2 pass agenda. This looks like it will go on for another year. I am very unhappy about this but it appears tat Glamis is the bully on the block as far as BLM and the DAC.

Other than that not to much going on, the new or shall I say the people that applied to sit on the sub-group will be notified by the end of July whether they were accepted or not. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Terry

Thanks for the report G.O.B. :beercheers: