Onan 4.0 Carburetor

rushjunkie

Here's what I know:

-The generator this came out of is an Onan 4.0 with only about 100 hours on it.

-The generator sat for about 4 months and then wouldn't start. Ran fine when stored.

-I didn't have time to try and clean this carb before a family trip so I had a new carb installed.

-New carb cost me $500 to install!! scared.gif

Here's what I don't know:

-If this carb will work as new once cleaned. I'm reasonably sure it's just clogged, but I'm not offering any sort of warranty with it.

-If this carb needs to be rebuilt or if it is even possible to rebuild.

-What this thing is worth. Prices on used carbs vary widely, so someone make me an offer.

Here's a couple pics of the carb exactly as it came out of the genny. I haven't sprayed it with cleaner outside (obviously), or inside.

post-3304-0-03541400-1379725977_thumb.jp

post-3304-0-45429900-1379725978_thumb.jp

My understanding on Onan carbs is they can be rebuilt and re-used. The gas builds up in them and clogs/gums up the insides. I think it takes a little working knowledge of how the carb works and goes together but I know the Local RV dealer keeps a reserve of them because they are always being a problem. Maybe we should have a DDR once a month reminder to start your generators? :director:

Unless it has changed in the last few years Onan Carbs kits aren't available through Onan. It was always a new carb for me. At that time it was always about $70 dollars for just about any replacement part for an Onan. Now days it probably twice as much. forget the labor, that is sky high!

Last I checked you cannot rebuild them and a new one ranges from $150 - $200 for a Onan 5.5. They get glogged very easy if they just sit around and are not started. Them charging you $500 to install the carb is insane, it only takes about 20 min to change it and even with the price of the carb is should not be that much.

They clog up at the fuel inlet where the altitude adjustment needle is. The mixture control solenoid sometimes requires a good spraying of carb cleaner and a whack on the bench. They don't sell rebuilds kits for these, but there really aren't any parts inside a little carb like this. Just pull the float bowl off and clean it out.

I bought one of these carbs once (for a 5500). I believe it was about $180 new through Camping World.

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck finding them for the 150$ range I've replaced a handful over the years best price I found was 170$ at Cummings dealer I went in late July and was told price has went up as of June 1 13? To 270$. So please if anyone knows where to find them cheaper currently post it up thanks

Yeah, I think the carb was close to $300 on its own. Diagnose, labor to install, and tax takes me REAL close to that $500 mark.

I've seen a couple of videos on youtube on how to clean them. I don't think this carb is doomed. I'll put it in a box and ship it out REAL cheap if anyone wants to try and revive it. Might not be a bad idea for me to clean it and keep it as a spare if it works (seeing as how expensive new ones are).