YFZ 450 or Raptor 700

Mr. Sandman

My two oldest boys ages 15 and 18 have outgrown their quads, Raptor 250 and 350 (they'll be in the classified soon ;) ) and I'm looking for a a new ride for them to share. My oldest is away at college so he won't be able to join us at the dunes as often so the 15 year old will be ridng the new quad the most and they'll share it and our RZR when they both hit the dunes. We're considering either a YFZ 450 or a Raptor 700, probably a few years old/used as there are still some great deals out there. I've ridden both in years past but am not real familiar with either. I know both have a lot of power and the the 450 is probably a bit quicker and is definitely lighter. The 700 is a torque monster and gets up and goes too. Both of my boys are over 6' and about 180. Let's hear some opinions from those of you that have some seat time on both of these models.

Edited by Mr. Sandman

I really like the overall feel of the 450 over the 700, feel way more in control at high speeds and they are very nimble on trails. there is also something weird feeling about the front end of a raptor to me as well, bulky feeling or something. you'll get a lot of pros and cons about both and I think both are pretty good duners for sure. i'm 6'0 230

On the 450 you would most likely need to raise the bars up to make them comfortable.

the 450 is lighter, and the 450r would come with wider a-Arms already saving some money and making the bike handle better then a normal 450 or a 700.

I like the 700 I have for sure. I love the torque, and you can get more power out of the 700 easier. The 700 tends to be top heavy and tippy in the corners, so it requires some skill to lean, and kick the bike around.

One of the questions would be is your/their style of riding faster, more carving the dunes, or more cruising. The 450 is going to shine a little more in whoops, and at speed (It's a race bike after all) and the 700 (stock) is more of a cruiser, but has the power and speed to keep up. You just have to pay good attention to keep the 700 from tipping over in the turns at speed.

I have quite a bit of money into my bike, with axle, A-Arms, Shocks, Exhaust, Tuner, Intake, Piston, and cam. but I LOVE this bike. This is my first true duner bike, and I pretty much learned how to ride Dumont on it. I prefer the Raptor for the torque, and potential of the bike.

I have had both and prefer the 450, I am 6' 190 lbs and have not had to raise the bars. Both bikes are a great choice, my preference being the YFZ, but either bike is going to make them happy. It really is going to come down to riding style IMO, I think the YFZ is like a sports car and the Raptor is a cadillac.

• Like 1

does the yfz have a reverse?? I cant remember.... also the first few years that the yfz was out it was carbureted, some people are cool with that (i like the EFI because we do trips to utah and such). I enjoy my 700 a lot, but the 450 is a great bike also....I think you would be happy with either.

I have both and like the 700 much better for the type of riding we do, the efi works great, the seat is softer, they have reverse and a better ride all the way around. we ride dunes and desert mostly. I only got the 450 because I needed another bike and I got it really cheap in a box of parts.

YFZ over the Raptor all day for me. Ive owned both. A 80hp 734 Raptor and numerous Yfz's over the years. Pete is right, its 100% personal preference. The engine in the Raptor is something special for sure. Problem for me was its just a heavy quad and you get in some technical stuff it will kick your a$$. I also had a +6 swingarm on it too so it was like driving a super fast stretched limo lol. Just wasnt for me. Loved the engine though but at the end of the day the YFZ is my preference. Long travel YFZ is the business

Edited by Sand_YFZ

• 2 months later...

I sold the 250 and 350 we had pretty quickly in September and finally picked up a Raptor 700 after many weeks of searching. It's a 2008 SE model with very low hours, a brand new never used set of paddles and ribs and a set of ramps for $4500. My boys are stoked and ready for our New Years trip. Thanks for all the info on YFZ 450's and 700's.

post-3578-0-59309300-1387642397_thumb.jp

post-3578-0-65371700-1387642408_thumb.jp

Edited by Mr. Sandman
  • Like 1