Is Dumont Going To Be Closed?

Why and how would it be closed? Dumont is already understaffed and supposedly under-funded. Who is going to be there to stop you from going in? It's an off-weekend anyways. Nobody would regularly be manning the entrance regardless. Go ride the dunes and don't worry about it! :laughing:

• Like 5

Why and how would it be closed? Dumont is already understaffed and supposedly under-funded. Who is going to be there to stop you from going in? It's an off-weekend anyways. Nobody would regularly be manning the entrance regardless. Go ride the dunes and don't worry about it! :laughing:

That's what I think too! :atv:

• Like 1

That's what I think too! :atv:

I don't think they are underfunded. They have plenty of LEO's and equipment. Has anyone ever heard of a government agency that claimed they were properly funded?

I'm looking for facts. LEO's are still on duty and could easily kick people out, but that would be speculation. I don't want to blow a hundred bucks on diesel and a few hour of drive time without some facts.

11rew42.jpg

Edited by Svengoolie

The only reason I brought this up is the last time there was a shutdown under Clinton, the things that were shut down tended to almost be vindictive against the people. They closed the Grand Canyon today for $%#@ sakes! Yes, they are turning people away from the Grand Canyon while Congress has their little spat. What would stop them from turning us away?

This whole stupid shut down could be over tomorrow for all I know so I will still go get my passes in the next couple days.

This government is clearly out of control. We need to make our displeasure felt at the ballot box...

I seriously doubt they would stop you. Even if they did I wouldnt care if I had a trip planned. I would go no matter what ! Thing is, as a veteran I am so F***ing disgusted by what they have done. Our debt is up, our borders are down and I will be damned if they block the sand !!

If a leo shows up....ask him how much he likes his job, how much he likes paying his motgage? and ask if hed like to watch as you ride?

IF he has any sence at all, he ll realize that he wont be getting overtime for the fight that might happen, and that by the time the dust settles that nothing will happen.....nothing.

By the time they call for back up to remove two trucks and trailers, and get everyone out there.....they will spend 8000$ of tax payer money......that equals job loss.......somewhere down the line.

If a leo shows up....ask him how much he likes his job, how much he likes paying his motgage? and ask if hed like to watch as you ride?

IF he has any sence at all, he ll realize that he wont be getting overtime for the fight that might happen, and that by the time the dust settles that nothing will happen.....nothing.

By the time they call for back up to remove two trucks and trailers, and get everyone out there.....they will spend 8000$ of tax payer money......that equals job loss.......somewhere down the line.

This whole thing pisses me off. Somewhere along the line they went from being employees of ours to being master. These our our public lands. Owned by the taxpayer, not the government. They were hired only to be the stewards, not the boss.

I have zero idea if they would kick us out or not. Like I said before, would rather not speculate.

But if there is truly a shut down, it should be wide open, bathrooms and all.

For the record, I am NOT against any of the rangers or deputies. Whatever happens they are just doing their job and following orders.

Edited by Svengoolie

Dumont is a designated OHV area so the shutdown will have no impact. You may see an LEO but at best it will be a slight chance. Even so I would want to make sure your passes and stickers are in order. I have a meeting (I think) on the 8th if they get this mess fixed and hopefully we can find out what the future holds.

• Like 1

Dumont is not a national park. I'm heading to corral pink today ...You would think that would be closed ...BUT ITS NOT :headbang1: its a state park. Is Dumont a state park, national park or just public land ?

I just called the BLM, the recording, " due to the shutdown", referred me to the Barstow law enforcement who said Dumont is closed because of the shut down.

How about Armagosa?

Amargosa is also now BLM governed land just as Dumont is, the only difference is you don't need a permit to enter Amargosa. So I would think if Dumont is closed, Amargosa is closed.

I really don't see how they could shut down and close off Dumont. How do they plan to enforce that? They barely have officers there when its open....

Where did you find a number for BLM LEO? Since there only 50 on duty LEO's across the country (10 for each state) then if you got ahold of an LEO I would like his # I definitely have questions for him.

I got this quote from a VERY involved individual in the OHV legal community. I would expect that the BLM has posted signs and will cite you however no one knows until someone drives out and see's. I am waiting for a return call from the BLM in Washington DC to get a direct answer. I will post more when I receive it.

• Like 1