Is Dumont closed during the shutdown

ynot

In conversation with the senior LEO from Barstow BLM the Dumont Dunes OHV area is NOT closed nor shutdown. HOWEVER the following applies and you need to be VERY aware of this;

There will be NO services I.E. Bathrooms closed and locked

No EMT (BLM) services but Baker Volunteer ambulance will respond as will CHP. That said PLEASE be extra careful as the assistance you may need may cause you to loose your life!

There can be NO organized events.

If the BLM rangers do come into your camp it would be best to be in compliance with passes and stickers along with the consumption of adult beverages and operating a motor vehicle(never a good idea anytime). Do not press any "you don't have the authority to be out here type BS cause it's going to get expensive for you real fast. Since the LEO's are few expect them to be extra careful when approaching you or your camp. Treat them with respect and you will have no issues. I don't care what your beliefs are about the BLM this is not the time to voice them. Be nice to the man and appreciate that we are not having to deal with a fence or closed area.

And as always please pick up after yourself and any other slobs that may have left debris behind, take more out than you came in with.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I will answer what I can.

Thanks,

Terry

• Like 2

Me too. Are you still going to be able to set up on vendors row? I had plans on paying you a visit for some "stuff"

NO VENDORS will be allowed during the shutdown, sorry better go see Mike before you go

Me too. Are you still going to be able to set up on vendors row? I had plans on paying you a visit for some "stuff"

We will be there as duners this weekend but we can always deliver stuff to you out there. Give me a call and let me know what you need. Mike 702 343 0924

Edited by Mike @ GTP OFF ROAD

Um, I just dropped off my rail for service, Mfg stated there was a lone chp officer at entrance road to dumont to deny access.?.? :ninja:

Umm, has this been confirmed or denied yet? Def was planning on going out Friday-Saturday. Ugh this whole situation is frustrating.

They cannot stop you from entering the road as it is an access to Sperry wash also and it's a public road. Unless listed in the Federal Registry they cannot keep you from public land use. Also with the California broke azz economy do you really think they are going to pay a CHP officer to baby sit federal lands? Not gonna happen.

They cannot stop you from entering the road as it is an access to Sperry wash also and it's a public road. Unless listed in the Federal Registry they cannot keep you from public land use. Also with the California broke azz economy do you really think they are going to pay a CHP officer to baby sit federal lands? Not gonna happen.

If they deem it unsafe, and they are the only agency with the capability to respond, I'm pretty sure they can close a road.. And yes, I really think they would pay an officer for such a task. Granted, my info was second hand and I wouldn't cancel a weekend I had planed on it but I would make a call as it was presented to me as factual info :thumb:

Terry, will you be going out at all the 25-27th? Thanks for the info.

I am open to it but have not made up my mind. If the Government is shut down and there is no LEO/EMT presence on Halloween I would not put my life nor my families lives in danger due to a busy weekend with no controls and to many past Halloweens where things were barely kept in control with BLM presence there. People seem to get over excited because maybe they got a new toy or there just needing to punish some sand but I have watched to many helicopters (more than any other holiday weekend) COME IN. without blm TO CALL FOR FLIGHTS THE CHANCES OF SOMEONE GETTING SERIOUSALLY HURT OR DYING INCREASES 100 FOLD. I WOULD NOT PUT MY FAMILY IN SUCH A POSITION AS THE SAND DUNES WILL WAIT FOR ME TO BRING MY OWN PUNISHMENT TO THEM AT ANOTHER SAFER TIME.

For what it's worth I just got off the phone with the CHP office in Barstow (the closest office to dumont) and talked to the Sgt. He said the CHP will have no part in denying access to dumont....so sounds like we're good to go. I'm going early Saturday I'll post up when I get there.

Thanks to Terry and everyone else for all the info you've provided.

For what it's worth I just got off the phone with the CHP office in Barstow (the closest office to dumont) and talked to the Sgt. He said the CHP will have no part in denying access to dumont....so sounds like we're good to go. I'm going early Saturday I'll post up when I get there.

Thanks to Terry and everyone else for all the info you've provided.

Good news, have fun and be a little extra cautious :beerpint: