my friends at sand mountain NV are watching closer fight

vegas style

post-3374-0-06628300-1381682104_thumb.jpJust for information.

Saint Anthony Dunes remained open during the shut down. Why? Because the BLM doesn't even patrol Saint Anthony Dunes. The local sheriff does. They have one or two Deputies that have a trailer office at the BLM campground. They along with our Dumont friends Sand Crab and Sand Flea ( Campground Hosts and Volunteers @ Egin Lake) do rescues and the Sheriffs do rescues and sometimes patrol the dunes. The BLM did shut down the campground but the day use area and the store stayed open.

There are only three official entrances to the dunes. The BLM Egin Lake access, Idaho Dunes RV and Sand Hills Resort. Sand Hills shut down a week early and the shutdown took care of Egin Lake so that left us the only game in town. We stayed open for an extra weekend to pick up the slack. We had quite a few Utah, Idaho and Montana visitors make the extra time good for us and they enjoyed a good last ride of the year.

Maybe BLM should do the same at Dumont since they are always complaining about lack of funds to service Dumont and other recreation areas in their district. Seems like we always see more of the San Bernardino people anyway.

Egin Lake BLM charges $5 for day use, Sand Hills doesn't allow Day Use from their Campground and We only ask for people to buy something in the store for day use. Drink, candy bar whatever.

The best part is that there is no fee to ride the dunes, no passes, no check points etc. All three campgrounds have direct access to the dunes

Pat :hello::old:

Edited by sandawg

All I hear are good things about St Anthony. Clean, family, big dunes. Glamis has a bad wrap for partying and out of control craziness. If you mention Glamis to someone they automatically think PARTY or FIGHT or BOOBIES. Although I love the dunes at Glamis I don't know if ill take my family there unless its a off weekend. Hell even I got in a fight there over a race on Oldsmobile. I beat a guy with my banshee and he wanted to fight. That same weekend a guys bike got thrown in the big bonfire and burned to ash. I don't know a whole lot about Dumont but I hope it's friendly and happy. I have only been once and there were only a few camps. I'm sure Halloween will be crazy and that's fine, people just need to have respect and consideration for others and it will be good. The Cinders in Flagstaff are fun but hard on paddles and I like Sand Hollow a lot but its kinda small for cars. I been to Armagosa and it was ok. Im ready for a fun, safe, good time.

Edited by nwtdiesel

I have never seen any of the Glamis craziness on any of the weekends I have gone. I've been on an off-weekend in March and multiple times on New Years- always very tame and never anything bad expect for the cops that are way too strict over stupid stuff. The majority of the people at Dumont has always been respectful people in my opinion. You'll always get one or two jerks in the crowd, but that's just society. Dumont is happy and friendly. I think you'll be happy to call it home, Newly. The crazy holiday weekends are sort of over. I believe those days are gone for a little while. Things have sort of calmed down out there (in a good way) and it seems most the people who go out now are Dumont veterans, ya know- the people who just can't live without the place no matter what the economy does.

I think Coral Pink is the best place for the family. My kids are to young for Dumont or Glamis. If my kid runs off, I'm less worried they will get hit by something at Coral Pink than Dumont or Glamis. Usually go to Coral Pink in the warmer months due to the snow on the dunes during the regular dune season.