sandrail accident Halloween weekend

dunefreak

Already heard about a bad sandrail accident involving a purple Funco. At least one person, maybe more, are hurt. They were waiting for the helicopter to show up. I guess they came in too hot in a turn or off a razor and ripped part of the front of the car and rolled.

Hopefully everyone comes out ok! Be extra careful people.

Horrible situation. Prayers for the family...I'll be taking it easy for sure this weekend. I really hope that the BLM will keep a helicopter on site this weekend even though at the last minute they decided to declare next weekend the official halloween weekend. Do they normally keep a helicopter on site for big weekends like this? I would almost guarantee that there will be twice the amount there this week vs next week.

Edited by flavtfan

I don't know for sure, but by the looks of a comment that was made on Facebook it seems the passenger might not have made it. ?? :(

Hope that is not the case, this sport is such an adrenaline rush and it is so easy to get lost in the fun of it, people tend to forget, or never realize, how unforgiving it can be (no reference to above). Please be safe out there, so many people taking unorthodox, oblivious lines out there on a holiday weekend it truly increases the danger tenfold. Keep the pace down, enjoy the family and save some race gas for the next off weekend. Again, no reference to the above incident, Prayers to all involved and effected.

I'm not going into a lot of detail on here but I talked to the San Bernardino Deputy that responded to the accident and it was far more violent than some of the descriptions that I've heard on here. He also said they had to flight them both out and the driver was hurt a lot more than first impressions. He was critical too I was told.

I heard the same. Sand YFZ (Aaron) was one of the first responders. He said it looked like the female passenger either wasn't belted in or or the belts failed. He said it was pretty bad. I won't go into more details either.

He mentioned it looked as if he rode right off the top of the razorback and it rolled about 3 times. It was very hard for the group to see. Aaron sat with the girl's friend as she sat pleading for her to stay with them.

This is a very sad deal. It's never easy to hear about these things and it's hard for me to understand how they happen. Safety is a huge thing for me. I always try to figure out what went wrong in order for such terrible accidents to happen.

I looked at the belts very closely and they looked in tact the one thing that would have helped tremendously was for a 5 th point to have been installed ...I didn't see one ...the seat was slotted for it ...the driver belt was cut from one of his friends to get him out ...the passenger belt was in tact ...just my observations ... Very sad to see this type of accident ...condolences to the family .

I'm going to jump in here and say thank you to everyone for your prayers to the families. This was my cousin Gina, and yes she passed away enroute to the hospital from the injuries sustained from the accident. To those that were there and assisted in trying to rescue her I am truely grateful and want to thank you. She was enjoying the weekend with her fiance and was having a great time. She loved her fiance and being out with the rails.

post-8728-0-91946400-1382835074_thumb.jp