sandrail accident Halloween weekend

dunefreak

Thoughts and prayers to Gina and family, I saw the car and it was bad. I was out at comp hill thurs, fri and sat night. I saw a lot of close calls but no hits. I saw a lot of carnage out there, new RZRs rolled, sand rails losing wheels and front ends. Sat about 5pm when the shadows were bad I saw a 4 wheeler going about 50mph and fly off a dune and over a witches eye and into a bowl, the driver was flying through the air flopping around feet first. I knew he was going to be in bad shape... I hauled but down to him in my rail and when I stopped he was gasping real bad and panicking. I ran to him and my wife grabbed his hand. He hit legs first and he thought he had broke his back cause he couldn't move. One of my friends went to get a ranger while we stayed with him. After 5-10 mins he calmed down and it turned out he just had the air knocked out of him real bad. He was lucky. He told us the shadows made it look like it was just a big hill and he couldn't even see the witches eye or bowl. I took him back to his trailer in my rail and he was ok just sore. Everyone please be careful.

• Like 1

Heard today that the guy driving died of brain trauma. Also that both weren't wearing seat belts because it was too hot. Second hand info from one of our group who spoke to the Sheriff. What a waste, for nothing, if true.

That's even more bad news. :( I just read on FB a girl said the female was wearing her belts but they were very loose. There is so much info being passed around. It's hard to tell what information is true. I would still really like to know how exactly this whole accident happened so it could be prevented in the future. I have lots of questions. I feel terrible for those who were involved. It sounds like this could have been easily prevented.

My first thought was no seat belts but I thought someone said the driver belt was cut to get the driver out? It must have been a pretty violent crash/flip and had to be hi speed for so much damage. So horrible. Please everyone be safe!!!!! Im very sorry for the family and friends loss. If there is help needed with anything let me know. I hope they did not have any kids.

Heard today that the guy driving died of brain trauma. Also that both weren't wearing seat belts because it was too hot. Second hand info from one of our group who spoke to the Sheriff. What a waste, for nothing, if true.

Heard the same thing concerning the driver, unconfirmed, again prayers to all of those involved / effected...

Edited by raspadoo

Hey All,

Drivers at home, both legs are cut up & in pretty bad shape. have not asked about anything else... Driver is an overly cautious guy our families camp together all the time at Dumont & the beach, my kids have been in the buggy several times and always come back saying how careful & cautious he is. I chose not to go this last weekend, holidays out there are just to high risk even for those of us that are sober and careful.

Chris

Edited by Happy Pappy

Just got off the phone with the driver.... He's at home, legs are cut-up. Both were belted in, driver even checked Gina's belts before leaving camp. Driver was in the lead he thinks last guy came back around in a bowl and was headed straight for him he swerved & avoided a head-on....Pretty foggy on everything after that. She and he both had bruising from belts.

That said..

Our family's camp together all the time, Dumont and beach. My kids and several other parents allow there kids to ride with him all the time because he is very careful. My kids come back every time saying how careful and cautious he is. No jumping or foolish games with them.

We did not come out this weekend so I was not there. Holiday's scare me, just to many people in a small place.

Chris

Edited by Happy Pappy

So the driver I ok and not passed? I never seen air bags on the front of a sand rail before. I would imagine those do not handle as good as coil overs but I have no experience with air bags on off road vehicles.

Edited by nwtdiesel

So the driver I ok and not passed? I never seen air bags on the front of a sand rail before. I would imagine those handle as good as coil overs.

All Funco sand cars have air bag suspension. It is their key to the great handling in the dunes. I understand there are down sides but I don't know what they are, never ridden in one nor owned one. But I have followed a few through the dunes!

All Funco sand cars have air bag suspension. It is their key to the great handling in the dunes. I understand there are down sides but I don't know what they are, never ridden in one nor owned one. But I have followed a few through the dunes!

My stupid phone! I meant to say I imagine the air bags do not handle as good as coil overs. Just my guess though.

My stupid phone! I meant to say I imagine the air bags do not handle as good as coil overs. Just my guess though.

Arguable the best handling car in the dunes. In Glamis they used to have an somewhat underground short course race series called the EPO, lots of cars from many mfgs, Subi powered Funcos won every race. Once again prayers to all involved...

Arguable the best handling car in the dunes. In Glamis they used to have an somewhat underground short course race series called the EPO, lots of cars from many mfgs, Subi powered Funcos won every race. Once again prayers to all involved...

I have yet to see or hear of anyone beating john r. Owner of outfront. Yes those subi in a funco rule duneing.

Prayers again to those all involved

Edited by jordanhiggins2002

• 1 month later...

Ive been critisised to no end regarding safety, so I dont post much. In this case, Pete even your asking questions....why, how....and that car would NOT pass a tech inspection in any racing organization in the world I know of. In both pictures....(just pictures) its clear that all the belts are mounted WRONG.

ALl the shoulder belts anyways which would fail any legit tech inspection. I know these are not race cars....but considering the idea that these are not on a nice smooth paved surface. Duners, in general are asking for performance from their cars in what is basically close to the worse terrain on the planet, and want a smooth ride too boot.

See the bars the shoulder belts are mounted too.....all too low....SHOULDER BELTS DO NOT hold you in the seat....if you cinch them down and they snug you down in the seat.....they are in wrong. The LAP belt holds you in the seat, the shoulder belt keeps your torso from moving forward during a high G stop.

Sad but about 99% of rails are built wrong....with the cross bars too low or non existent. The mount point should be roughly at the same height as the top of the shoulders of the person in the seat. I ran two sets of shoulder belts in my car for that reason.

A lid on the roof......also helps dramatically, During a roll over, with no roof the bars sink in the sand....Causing occupant intrusion and huge forces on the chassis in directions it was never designed for, tension versus compression. With a lid securely mounted, the chassis stays in compression (very strong) for the majority of upsets.

I even have a fire suit......so Ill go put it on. Cause Im get flamed for this Im sure.

The funco car pictured also looks to have the B pillar bar ....what 6 inches from the driver and passenger head? Looks like a helmet car, even with padding. Virtually all cars with cages....require padding of everything the drivers head can contact even with a helmet.....which is always required ofcourse.

I occasionally drive a very fast turbo LS powered rail....and I always wear full face helmet, neck collar, gloves....and more sometimes. My boy rides with me occasionally....and he wears his hans type device for riding , helmet, etc...and I constantly check his belts and tighten mine.

I hope its never needed, but we can try better. Last years christmas gifts.....chest protectors..all around, inspired by the quad rider killed by the rail at the flats at comp. This year....new helmets.

Edited by 1320
  • Like 1