racing up quad hill

nochyt

I didn't see it, but my guess is they told you you could not set up a light for racing with out a permit? I believe that setting up a light to start a race even among friends would more than likely be viewed at as an official start of a race and draw a crowd, and or other racers. In which case it would become an event in which a permit was needed. But I could be completely wrong on that since I don't know the laws exactly, I am just giving my opinion and interpretation of what could have possibly happened...

Edited by sand chick

Yes. Sand Chick is right. A starting device makes it illegal to "race up the hill" . I was told that a permit and insurance is needed even though

the starting light could and would be there for everyones use without restictions unlike a sanctioned race.

I do not see any differrence between a light and someones arm going down.

I will be checking with BLM to see if there is any exceptions to this overly restrictive law.

• Like 1

I will be checking with BLM to see if there is any exceptions to this overly restrictive law.

Nope, no exceptions. Buy your permit, buy your insurance, no problems. Mr. Sasselli who puts on 4StrokeWars would be a good point of contact. Been puuting on races at Glamis, Dumont, Sand Mountain, and Oregon for years and he is very professional about it all.

Welcome to DDR by the way.

Saw this coming from your first post. The BLM ARE very serious about "Event's" or anything that looks like it could become one. The Off road race a few years ago where the trophy truck went into the crowd did us in. Since that moment everything has changed and things they might have looked the other way on just don't happen. Sign of the times I guess.

Terry

• Like 1

Yeah it sucks, dont it... but terry is right sign of the times...alot of people brought this shiz on themselves. Not implying your one.

Especially during busy weekends/holiday, party weekends they have to be extra aggressive and proactive about everything even if it's stupid, there's so many more people, seasoned and newbies alike. So if they let it go once over here then bam... before the sun sets that day you can bet that will be 5000 other variations of the light are everywhere.

Check this out...for instance all the sudden another crew sees your rig, and set one of there own up, but these guys are lame and set up at a unsafe finger dune, there ripping the huge finger dune, next thing you know a child is badly injured or something major along those lines.

Well.... People wants somebody's a$$ and right now!!!

according to the rules that was an illegal light set up, and the cop asks these a$$ clowns why they thought it was ok to have this set up that resulted in stupid accident, uhhhh well .. they had one set up over at that hill and the rangers were right there, and even drove right by them...

You get the picture . And guys I'm the last one that wants any Leo's in my face, in my camp or just being nosy around my stuff. But it's there job, and we all know dealing with azzhats at work is like, I try not to be that guy unless provoked

Would the question be "what is the definition of an organized event"?

I know that you would still probably be fighting a losing battle, but if the are citing you for an organized event, then what is their legal definition?