Turkey dinner at the dunes. What are your techniques?

dunefreak

Hell I just show up to eat. No cooking necessary. :rockon: But I can tell you I have tried all the above. I must say buried gives it the best flavor. All the moisture stays inside with no where to go. Damn I am getting Hungry.

I need ask this no offense please, What keeps the sand from the turkey? and with all the people that pee in the sand out there? Well I guess you know where I'm going. Can you esplain :dunno:

its a whole process Jim been tradition in the camp long before i started at dumont. day before dig a pit ours is usually about grave size about 4-5 foot deep (room for 4-5 turkeys). then build a good fire in the hole let it burn most of the day (to sanitize). thanksgiving day put a layer of charcoal in the hole and light it. the turkeys are prepared then put in a foil pan and wrapped in many many layers of tin foil. you put the turkeys in the hole spread more charcoal around and over them and fill the hole back up with sand. makes a big oven many hours later dig them up and unwrap. be sure to cone and mark off the hole so no one falls or drives in it.

No offense taken. I have never prepared myself but as Steve said precautions are taken. I was serious about showing up and eating. Last Turkey day I camped with Steve, Lou B, Krusty and crew. The buried turkey hands down was the best i ever had. Funny part was they cooked two turkeys and 15 minutes after eating both turkeys went to the trash. I got me a nice chunk but the rest was gone. They are not fans of left over Turkey.

Still debating to join the awesome bunch again.

We do our turkey at the dunes in our infrared fryer. we love it. ours is never under cooked because we really rely on the thermometer, we inject it with all kinds of spices and do a dry rub, comes out crispy on the outside and fall off the bone tender on the inside. thought about buying a second infrared fryer because there was no turkey left. Funny thing, we didn't read the directions the first time, so we bought the biggest largest turkey we could get 23 pounds and the instructions said no more than 16 pounds, well we pushed that bad boy in the fryer and cooked it LOL we will buy oversized turkey again :)