Dakar 2014

ltr450rider

There was a thread last year, so why not a thread this year. I really got into Dakar last year (Followed for years before, but never really into it as much), especially since I now have my hands on things that are down there racing.

I think the biggest story this year has been what Robby Gordon will be bringing. He sold the Hummers, which will be racing this year with some Belgians behind the wheel. We just did a bunch of clutches for them and serviced all the Tranny's. The big question has been what Robby is up to. He is being very secretive about his new vehicle, but pictures of his test vehicle just got leaked. It will be a modified SST truck, a little wider and longer I think. There's lot of speculation on drivetrain setup, many think it will be a mid-engine, rear transaxle set-up. But we will just have to wait and see when he debut's it himself. I've known what it is for sometime, but am not a liberty to discuss it.

The other major story will be Curt Casselli who recently passed away racing (actually leading) the Baja 1000 just last weekend. It's a very sad deal, he was really on his way to becoming one of the greats of the sport. He had won a few stages with KTM at last years Dakar Rally.

There will also be a few more American teams and drivers competing this year. BJ Baldwin, Brenthel Industries, and a few others. It should be great year, minus Curt Casselli of course. Hopefully they will have a little more coverage on TV than last years 30-minute late night segment on NBC Sports. It would be nice to see some 1-hour coverage in a little better time slot.

Cool video!

Same here. I'm really looking forward to it too! I DVR'd all the races and would usually watch them after supercross with some riding buddies. It was just last year I started following Caselli. His performance and attitude really shined at Dakar.

I didn't know BJ was racing Dakar this year. That's awesome.

I always love watching Cyril Despres. Weird to see him on a Yamaha now!

• 1 month later...

I just watched the NBCSN show, I have to say that it is pretty damn boring. They really need to get a better commentator, they guy they had last year was pretty good and is still a regular on other racing shows, I think he does some of the SST coverage.

Either way, I can't complain that much, It's good to have any coverage on a major network.

I really wish they would do an hour show though, there is just too much to cover in 30 mins (20 mins with commercials). There is a lot of discussion over on Race-Dezert but it's tough to read through all the BS bickering about how Robby's new car and preparedness. I just want some sort of semi-accurate info as to what is actually going on.

Now that my complaint is over, Robby had problem again today. Same overheating and vapor-lock issues as BJ and the other North American teams. I know it has to do with the altitude and temperature, but I have a feeling that the fuel is causing most of the issues. I think the local fuel just isn't as good as here in the states, or even North America.

Hopefully Robby can get things figured out and at least get a stage win.

I like the new commentator, Leigh Diffey is pretty good I think, much better than Sam Posey. I just really wish that they had an hour for this show, 30 mins just isn't enough time to really go in depth for the cars and show some more footage.

The Dakar has claimed a Honda rider in stage 5 as well as 2 journalists that plunged off a cliff following the race.

From RDC...

Tragic news from Stage 5 of ‪‎Dakar2014‬. Earlier this morning, Belgium bike competitor Eric Palante was found dead at km143 along the fifth stage of the rally. The 50-year-old motorcycle rider was competing in his 11th Dakar. As of now, the organizers have said that the cause of his death is under investigation.

Story and video from NBC Sports...