Flight for life and accident on comp- Wed night Thanksgiving weekend

dunefreak

Just heard that the helicopter flew in and landed around 11:00 pm. There was also an accident reported at comp hill. I'm guessing they are related. Someone went to the ranger station and there were no rangers there yet so they called 911.

My opinion is that if there is an additional fee is during a specific holiday date range (BECAUSE of extra staffing) then there should be some sort of BLM or EMT staff. After all that's supposedly why it costs more right? They know there are thousands of people there all week. :dunno:

• Like 1

I will never go near comp hill on a holiday weekend at night. seems like an awful lot of life flights out so far this season...what the heck is going on? too many new inexperience riders trying to do too much? too many rails for such a small place? I have to agree that if they are gonna charge extra for this entire week then there should be some emt's or something there.

Yea I was the first on the scene. A rzr XP tried cresting the top of comp and did a slow roll it rolled all the way down ( at least 20 rolls) the driver and passenger were ejected about a third of the way down. I saw the first roll and was already sitting in my Xp I yelled and started up the hill I got to the Xp just as It stopped rolling. As I got to it no one way in it. Yelled back down for help and to get the rangers. Got back in the XP and drove farther up the hill with all my lights on tell I got to the first guy. The driver was shaken up and had a scrapped up hand. The passenger laying down in pain. and had a few injuries knott on the head dislocated shoulder and some other pain he was scared and even asked me if he was going to die. I let him know help was on the way (didn't know there was no Blm or Sherriff here at dumont) and he was going to be fine. I was joined by a family group that had at least some medical experience (so thankfull that they came up to help). After finding out about the lack of assistance from Blm we decided to pull him down the hill on a blanket and load him into the bed of a pickup. I stuck around and helped get the wreck off the hill and then went and met the group at the Blm compound as the heli was landing. We all helped get him on a back board and assisted lifting him in the chopper. He was in good spirits and I joked with him some the whole time just to break the tension. The driver waived transport and will be ok . Took some pics of the XP it had a after market cage that did a good job and stayed in shape the drivers door was bent in half and pushed way in. The pics didn't come out at night very well I'll look in the morning to see if I can post any.

• Like 5

... and this is one reason I like DDR people; never afraid to stop and assist someone. Good Job Steve!

As for BLM not being on site, that's ridiculous!

I wish all DDR and duners a safe & Joyful Thanksgiving.

Edited by cmondwn
  • Like 2

Met a duner last mon who told me about a situation on fri where a guy rolled his rail and compound fractured his arm. We saw the helicopter but what was cool is this guy had the presence of mind to head into the largest camp around and ask if anyone could help, they had an ER Dr. and a nurse in camp, by the time the helo got there the wound was cleaned and stitched up. The guy was a new duner and did not know the injured guy. :beerpint: Next time someone is hurt I'm heading for the big camp with all the Diesel Pushers and looking for a Dr. (-=

So not to stir the pot but when exactly would you like the rangers to be on scene for a holiday? I believe they have their people in place for the dates set aside for the holiday passes. But if you want to have a ranger there on Wed. well why not Monday or Tuesday? I am saying it's an OHV riding area that is unmanned except for 5 weekends per year. Other wise you have a patrol officer that travels in and out during his regular shifts. We have become dependent upon them being there whenever we want them but we don't want them there if they are going to write you a ticket for a violation or if your DUI etc. etc. You can't have it all folks! I know in 1975 I rolled my Jeep there in October and luckily my girlfriend and I were a little bruised and battered but we had to stop by the Tecopa store and use a pay phone to call the report in for my insurance purposes. Be prepared to take care of one another just like Steve did. With the cut backs that our government has put us into we are just not going to see the kind of presence there used to be.

I might suggest investing in a good first aid kit and maybe a couple of classes to learn what to do with it when something happens. It is beginning to look like the good old days the more time passes on. Just my 2 cents worth. If anybody finds a beginning first aid class and wants to attend I would be glad to go too. Some thing I have always had an interest in and have used what little knowledge I have a few times. I hope I have helped and not hurt in those cases.

After reading about the recent wreck and fire in Glamis recently I would also like to suggest at least every SXS and sand car have a fire ext. and also a space blanket to protect an injured person from weather and keep them from going into shock.

Terry

Edited by ynot
  • Like 4

^I saw a rail burn in Glamis several years ago. I will never forget it. The only good thing to come of it, is I learned to ALWAYS carry a knife...cut the belts and get them outta there. You never know, wether your are driving to starbucks, or tearing up the dunes...I have three kids in the car, and my wife usually...needless to say, I've spent a lot of money on knives since then.

Great suggestions: first aid kit, and a blanket. May I suggest an extra tie down: of course for the general/practical applications, but in a medical emergency, a tourniquet...

I can see both side on the ranger issue, but yeah, the night starting the 4 day weekend ought to have some presence. Taxation without representation, sound familiar?

Hope the guys that were involved were ok. We were sitting at the bottom watching and could see it coming as they must have been very inexperienced. There was help from numerous on lookers and glad they were able to get them help. It was my first trip to Dumont and this was the first thing I saw when we got there. Seeing something bad happen really makes you think about what your doing before you do it the rest of the weekend.