Side x Side rollover 3/22/14 - fatality

dunefreak

Just got word from SAND~SNAKE that there was a nasty rollover this afternoon in a Can Am Commander. There were of Asian decent and didn't speak English. One confirmed deceased. They were not wearing helmets. He said it didn't look pretty as you can tell from this pic he sent. Major cage failure. It was ripped off on impact.

Thoughts and prayers to their friends and family.

Helmets or not, these manufacturers shouldn't be able to sell these things with such weak cages.

post-3-0-74607600-1395524132_thumb.jpg

A little more info. There were two occupants. The driver died on impact. The passenger was being worked on and was flown out. The victims' entire camp didn't speak english and didn't understand what happened expect for the wife of deceased driver. Very sad.

More pics. Looks like they jumped right off the dune at the base of the superbowl on the camp side.

post-3-0-54441300-1395526584_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-60816500-1395526583_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-66455700-1395526579_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-55377400-1395526580_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-80382600-1395526585_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-59350100-1395526578_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-54459900-1395526577_thumb.jpg

Edited by dunefreak
corrected driver and passenger mix-up

Bad accident

Took wife up hill as shes a Department of Interior RN. They were already working on the guy that by the time she walked up they were pulling gear off him it was too late. The Baker Paramedics did everything possible.

The Side by Side is the same make model and year as mine. The driver hit so hard it took the cage off. They life flighted the other person. Don't know their condition. They're removing Side by Side currently and finally pulled the guy from the scene. Our condolences to the family and the people his group.

I don't think any rollcage would have survived.

SP2

Mike

Hard to say if helmets would have helped, one had massive head injuries, but also had neck injury and likely internal injuries. The other who was transported had head injuries and also back injury as he couldn't feel below the chest, also looked like he possibly had a broken leg and arm.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Sounds like this was one pretty bad impact. I bet if helmets were worn and the cage wouldn't have buckled they would still have had major injuries, but probably would have survived.

It's seems like a newbie move to fly off a dune that fast and that hard not to mention at the angle they took. I'm just speculating though. It's too bad they didn't have someone in their group to show them safer habits. Many people just go out there and give it hell. They are too excited and blind to these things that can happen.

Sounds like this was one pretty bad impact. I bet if helmets were worn and the cage wouldn't have buckled they would still have had major injuries, but probably would have survived.

It's seems like a newbie move to fly off a dune that fast and that hard not to mention at the angle they took. I'm just speculating though. It's too bad they didn't have someone in their group to show them safer habits. Many people just go out there and give it hell. They are too excited and blind to these things that can happen.

Pete

We just went back and measured. His tracks had him coming down the back side of the bowl straight into the bowl straight back out the highest side, tracks stop at top of bowl, air travel were hearing 20ft high inverted and they traveled some 75 feet from where he left to impact full onto the cage. I'm not advocating not wearing helmets... But he was screaming to travel that level of slope and launch 75 ft and if you look at how the cage just crushed, wearing helmets would have likely stopped the head injury, but the level of damage likely would have been the same to the riders.

Spoke to Sand Snake and we agreed that no cage would have handle that type of impact head on into the sand, not a roll.

Bad Day....

SP2

Mike

Talked to some of the 1st on scene who helped get them out of the vehicle and they realized a mistake of who was driver and passenger, looks like the driver is the fatality. They said they would contact the PD to correct that for their reports.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

That is such a sad thing to have happen for people that must be new to the dunes.

That is a HUGE impact for the cage for sure, with all that weight. I believe in helmets, especially for SxS, even though many users don't. It doesn't sound like helmets would have really helped in this case, as the impact and cage damage would lead to the neck and back issues.

Condolences to the family and friends.

That's why I stress to everyone in my truck several times every single trip on the way there to never go over the top of a dune like that. I tell them to go up cut the top and then if it looks ok to transition over. So sorry to hear about this especially since none spoke English and didn't know what was going on.

Pete I haven't heard of any other deaths in recent memory in a side by side like this at dumont ...is this a first ? Or has it happened and I just had not heard of any ? Rails, bikes and quads i have heard and seen but don't remember any one in a side by side ....this sucks when it could have been avoided it seems like they just didn't know the danger of flying off the dunes like that ....has anybody heard if this was their first time out ?

So sad. I wonder if they had any idea that the dune dropped out? it is very hard to see out there this time of year in the middle of the day.

That was a face hill by bathroom 9, they were camped straight down from there and if the people at camp had been looking that direction they would have been watching it happen. Looks like they drove right past it, so one would guess they saw it, but maybe they got disoriented being new. They had only been here about 1-2hrs and someone said it was their 1st trip, but hard to know for sure with the limited English. Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Pete I haven't heard of any other deaths in recent memory in a side by side like this at dumont ...is this a first ? Or has it happened and I just had not heard of any ? Rails, bikes and quads i have heard and seen but don't remember any one in a side by side ....this sucks when it could have been avoided it seems like they just didn't know the danger of flying off the dunes like that ....has anybody heard if this was their first time out ?

I've heard of a couple, but none recently. I remember another was in a RZR up on one of the big, steep dunes. It was at night and the occupants weren't wearing seat belts.

It's really sad to hear about all of these accidents. While searching the forum for an incident to show 702sandman, I came across pretty much every fatality over the last few years. Not a good read in any thread. :( The one common denominator was inexperience or lack/use of safety equipment. It got me thinking. I wish we could somehow reach out to or educate those who know nothing about Dumont. You know, those who never read this website or have any experienced friends to explain the basics about duning to them. Yes, we all think this should be common sense, but sometimes people get so excited about something so new and awesome they tend to overlook things, They have no idea you can't just pin it over a dune and land in the "soft, fluffy sand" and everything will be alright. I don't know. I have no solution. I just wish we could help the noobs that often lose their lives to something that is so easily avoidable.

• Like 3

Maybe warning signs at the entrance. Like u said Pete it sounds like anybody should know but simple basics we all know.

Don't crest a dune at full speed head on. How to transition a dune. What to do and which way to turn if your going to transition but see someone on the other side (turn out not in) etc etc.

If it saved ONE life. It'd be worth it.

• Like 1