Sand Sports Mag has questions for you

FE135

As most of you know, I do freelance work for Sand Sports Magazine. In discussions with them, on several occasions, they have talked about changing up things, or for a better phrase, give themselves a makeover. The availability of online content has forced many publications to adapt but Sand Sports wants to do this in a smart way. They have on occasion tried to solicit feedback from people but it seems to not be effective in getting any good responses. I told them I would give it a try here. Most of you already know me and I've been on here for some time since I'm a "Dumont is home" guy so I thought I might get a response. All I ask is please be honest and if you have a criticism, please be constructive. Your thoughts may have an impact! If you have questions, I may not have all the answers but have their ear and can ask. Thank you and look forward to your responses. I will share with them but will leave out names.

Do you subscribe to Sand Sports? If not, why?

What type of content would you like to see?

Any current content you don't like?

Any current content you want more of?

1. Need to re-subscribe for home use, normally get it here at the shop, but it's not always here for some reason :think:

2. I personally think the content is good the way it is. I'm sure it gets a little boring for the guys doing the articles, but remember, it is "Sand Sports" and I think it covers the sport/activity quite well. I think doing a featured rail, SxS, and quad/moto every issue is the way to go as it covers all of the major bases.

3. If I don't like it, I skip it! For the most part, I read everything.

4. Readers rides is really cool. I too like "tasteful" models, I don't care to see hoochie azz strippers that never even had "their prime years" to begin with! :barf:

Do you subscribe to Sand Sports? If not, why? I did a few years ago but didn't renew as the same articles seemed to be rehashed year after year

What type of content would you like to see? More SxS's, budget rails and project cars the average guy can relate to.

Any current content you don't like? Although the high dollar rails are nice to read about and look at I don't think they are realistic for a lot of duners.

• Like 2

I do not subscribe. I have only seen a couple issues, most stuff I have seen is DDR members involvement.

Not sure what would get me to subscribe at this point. GTP Off Road is growing fast and as a Sand oriented company it would make sense for us to advertise. we would look into that in the future.

The more user rides and relatable rides draw the most attention. Like I stated, the info I have seen has been about DDR members.

I think if I saw info articles about different riding areas, like Coral Pink, Dumont, St. Anthony's. Something someone could use as info that has never been there before would entice me. I'm always nervous to hit up new places, not knowing where to go, what fees, where to camp all that stuff.

1) i dont have a script but always pick up copies at Butches whenever i am there...not really sure i know why i dont.

2) i would like to see more tech articles ie; what cv greases, how to tune / rebuild shocks, what fuels and why, etc..

3) i dont skip much as it is

4) i like it that they feature actual duners, always excited to see people that i know and see in the dunes in pics. And always enjoy a pretty lady :-)

Edited by FireKracker

Yes I subscribe and to tell you the truth, I wouldn't change a thing about it. There's always a great balance of everything. I don't think offering a more-online friendly approach to content is needed. People like picking up the actual magazine and flipped pages while taking a deuce.

Adam, as Bert stated, they have articles about different dune spots all the time. Duneguide.com would probably be of some interest to you if you've never checked it out. :thumb:

• Like 1

There are always half naked women posing on rides, How bout some half naked Dudes posing on rides?

(this was not my suggestion I was asked this question) Just to be clear.

JIm is finally coming out. Atta boy!

Yes I subscribe and to tell you the truth, I wouldn't change a thing about it. There's always a great balance of everything. I don't think offering a more-online friendly approach to content is needed. People like picking up the actual magazine and flipped pages while taking a deuce.

Adam, as Bert stated, they have articles about different dune spots all the time. Duneguide.com would probably be of some interest to you if you've never checked it out. :thumb:

X2

I spoke to the editor of Sand Sports today and gave him a little prelim feedback on what you all say so far. One thing that got my attention was Berts comment. I have heard this before from other forums. I personally don't think it is true. I specifically asked about this and what timeframes the magazine was at its "thickest." After some discussion, he is going to send me copies (about mid 2000's) and I will compare with the latest issue. We think, and I'll try to prove, that at that time there were more ads than today but the content (meat and potatoes) was the same. Should be interesting and will put this particular claim to rest, good or bad.

Please keep your comments going. They really are listening.

Used too drop it - it seemed to be the same high buggy or some high end dollar project that most of will never hit.

More about the basics like SXS changing a belt in the wild, snapped CV and your on your own, or tips that can help new owners survive an outing by themselves. There's lots of us that go family style and are single riders, most of us know the do and don't, but sometimes Sharing the knowledge to new peeps is good.

Not seeing any of Snake Snakes naked dudes...... Holy Moly..... Yeah better half had influence there. lol

Tie it back to more local and even the western 11. You can't be everything to everyone, but we have some radical dunes, trail rides and even some killer overnight rides that I think would be cool to see and hear about. Like said earlier it's Kool to hear about new ride areas about the RV status and maybe some of the large get together. The reason I think Petes Website is so successful is that no matter your level or ride, your can always relate to the cause..... Ride and enjoy.

• Like 1

I agree with Jim! :laughing: more HOT dudes on their rides. Cause you know 80% of the b!t@#$ in the bikinis will never been seen in the dirt or sand.. ewe.. they might get dirty.. :laughing: :laughing: I think the "sand girl" of the month should be a gal who really rides or drives.. not just a pretty face.

But more articles or feature stories about real duners, with real rides, not sponsored rides or the person with the most $$$. You know your average person that you could walk up to and say hello to...

I guess I should have just summed it up by saying... Keep it real :)