Looks like I am headed to Ca. tomorrow

ynot

So got as call from CBM today and they had installed a new radiator and to new 16" fans to help with the cooling issue. They discovered that the old radiator had a lot of bent fins and somehow the fans had taken a hit(?) and were actually hitting the radiator at times. They dyno'd it and could only get it to 205 degrees. Anyway i can't resist coming back through Dumont for a test run tomorrow afternoon. So I will let everybody know how it did. If you don't hear from me then maybe someone could organize a search party:)

Terry

Glad to hear they found some issues and got them handled. I hope that is the last of them especially with your Idaho trip coming up. Please keep me or us posted when you get to D and leave so we know you made it in and out of there ok. Oh and snap a couple photos while your there too. We need proof that there is still some sand at D.

Will do! I would be up for a repeat trip next Saturday if your interested. I know Raspado was looking to get another run in and I want to really test mine before hauling it 700 miles

Edited by ynot

Will do! I would be up for a repeat trip next Saturday if your interested. I know Raspado was looking to get another run in and I want to really test mine before hauling it 700 miles

Wish I could but I go into this horrible place called work that day.

• Like 1

So got as call from CBM today and they had installed a new radiator and to new 16" fans to help with the cooling issue. They discovered that the old radiator had a lot of bent fins and somehow the fans had taken a hit(?) and were actually hitting the radiator at times. They dyno'd it and could only get it to 205 degrees. Anyway i can't resist coming back through Dumont for a test run tomorrow afternoon. So I will let everybody know how it did. If you don't hear from me then maybe someone could organize a search party:)

Terry

if you need help with radiator issues, let me know....you can get it cooler than 205 for sure...they dont have you set up right....just have to know what you are doing, and not just put a radiator and fan set up on it and hope for the best...andre

205 is cool for these motors. They are designed to run 210-220 at normal operating temperature. Everyone always thinks those temps are to high.

they run like that for emisson stuff...but im sure he is not running that...so he can cool it down a bit...

They had it on the dyno at 4000rpm for 45 minutes and 205 was max it would go. As soon as they backed off the throttle it went right back to 185.

Due to a carrot truck flipping over at the top of Cajon Pass today and a 2 hour drive to get from the junction of the 215 & 15 to Victorville I had to pass on Dumont as it was dark by the time I hit Baker. I just got home. So I am definitely going out to test the car, who wants to go and how soon are we leaving?

They had it on the dyno at 4000rpm for 45 minutes and 205 was max it would go. As soon as they backed off the throttle it went right back to 185.

Due to a carrot truck flipping over at the top of Cajon Pass today and a 2 hour drive to get from the junction of the 215 & 15 to Victorville I had to pass on Dumont as it was dark by the time I hit Baker. I just got home. So I am definitely going out to test the car, who wants to go and how soon are we leaving?

that sounds good...thought you could not get it cooler than 205....sounds like a good set up...have fun

If you would quit passing gas while on a run it would run 10-15 degrees cooler you old fart......
Damned rear engine cars! Oh and at your age, "Never, Ever Trust a fart"! :hello:

See ya soon!

Edited by sandawg

Well I haven't heard from Eric, but I think I will make the trip anyway. I probably won't leave real early as I want some heat to test the car. But I will hang a sign on my truck window just letting someone know about when I would be back and what area I will be running in just in case I have an issue. Don't think I will but duning alone is not a good thing but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. So I will push the car but find the right places to do so after an easy test run thru the dunes for holes etc. Hope to give a positive report tomorrow evening. TTYL

Terry

Well I haven't heard from Eric, but I think I will make the trip anyway. I probably won't leave real early as I want some heat to test the car. But I will hang a sign on my truck window just letting someone know about when I would be back and what area I will be running in just in case I have an issue. Don't think I will but duning alone is not a good thing but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. So I will push the car but find the right places to do so after an easy test run thru the dunes for holes etc. Hope to give a positive report tomorrow evening. TTYL

Terry

Well, I still have a battery drain from my car to car radio so as I checked to see if it would start this AM it was a no go. So put the charger on it and will go out in the morning tomorrow. Less wind and only a couple of degrees warmer. I had re re routed the hot wire to the dead man switch but noticed today that it still shows a light on in the back of the amp with the dead man switch off. Looks like I will have to do some wire tracing when I get back. I unplugged the radio for now but would like it operable for St. Anthonys.

Well I found Dumont to be kind of eerie when you are the only one there. Light was flat, flies including horseflies the size of small cars and very soft sand were the order of the day. Car ran good but I seem to have lost a little HP from the fall so I am checking that out. Otherwise no overheating problems nor any limp mode issues. Other than my whip breaking off going through the whoops at about 90 towards the South Pole and then me almost getting the truck stuck it was a decent dau and I am glad I went. If anybody goes out from now to next season expect really soft sand, high edges and nasty transitions with some new witches eyes just for fun.

Terry

• 1 month later...

The car ran perfect almost all week. On Sunday I cruised over to the BLM campground to see if there were any other cars to run with. I ran into Sand Crab and his wife and he told me I was leaking something. I shut the car off and saw that I was basically sitting in a pool of gasoline. Having just cleaned my fuel filters and adding a shut off valve to the system my first tought was that I had missed a line or had a loose line somewhere. I had him kick the key on while I looked for the leak with the pumps on and saw that the return line to the tank from the motor was spewing gas all over. I realized that the AN nut under the inspection plate must have worked loose again and fell into the foam. I was able to re-attach it enough to get back to camp by using zip ties but felt like was a rolling bomb the whole way. Once I got the car in the trailer the work began, in order to get to the inspection plate I had to remove the back two bolts to the seat and loosen the front ones to lean the seat forward. Then remove the body panel and get to the plate. The genius in Boulder City (who will remain nameless) moved the tank to get to the front of the old motor and in doing so he must have lost 3-4 of the bolts so instead of them all being 11 MM some were 3/8's. So I could use a socket on all of them but about 7 which were under a hard water line that I didn't want to take off and loose coolant along with a giant mess. I went to my trusty toolbox for my Craftsman ratcheting box end 11MM wrench ah but the cupboard was bare of that specific size. Seems it grew legs and wandered off never to be seen again. I always wonder how that happens but anyway I had to go at those 7 with an old fashion box and open end wrench and due to access issues I could only get about 1/4 to 1/2 " movement at a time What a PIA!. Anyway found the nut, used some latex liquid on the threads to keep the nut on this time and re assembled the tank. By this time it was about 1AM and my back had reached an overload so I went to bed and laid their for 2 hours while my back screamed. Finally off to sleep and when I finally got up I went out I put it all together and it ran great all week. Temp never got up over 200 and the fans brought it back down to 180 or below right away so that worked. The sand up there is soft so I found that pumping the tires to about 17 PSI helped the motor spin in the high altitude and it made it a fun ride as the rear end then liked to slip a bit:). Those dunes are like nothing you have ever seen and if we could ever get a group together I would love to go again. But going camping alone was just not the same although it was still a good trip. Now I just have to get Garret's bike fixed, it's blowing oil from who knows where so at least it wasn't gas.

• Like 1

There will be plenty of smooth dunes. I expect that it will be the biggest crowd that weekend that that place has ever seen.I can give you a couple of stopping off places along the way if your not doing a full one day pull. Let me know?