Coral Pink closures

dunefreak

This is NOT cool! Sandchick took this today. She said the whole middle section of Coral plus some near the fence line is all closed off. There are signs saying Monnolith Mtn Study area. She's going to get more info at the ranger station tomorrow. This sucks! :(

post-3-0-09991500-1400998355_thumb.jpg

All the trails are closed now so BLM can study the Tiger Beetle and see if its population comes back with no off road traffic! In my opinion..

1st: I don't think there is enough off road traffic at Coral to make THAT much of an impact.. we have been there several weekends when we are the only people there!!!

2nd: We all know once BLM takes the land it is IMPOSSIBLE to get it back!!!

We still have the dunes for now, but all the trails through the trees and the east fence line border are all closed. You will be cruising along and all of a sudden the trail has a sign blocking your path as a closed trail, then you have to figure out a way to turn around... Its not marked well, but we spent a lot of time turning around due to closed signs. I am very concerned if the signs don't work that they really will close the whole place down...

And I got the name wrong when I sent Pete the picture...

This is posted at the entrance road going up to the dunes from the Meadows:

post-2396-0-36871600-1401140514_thumb.jp

chadwick said he saw a bunch of people searching through the brush and counting beetles....no kidding. you can't tell me that these beetles are only in this one area with the vast amount of untouched land that is in the area. I'm wondering if they count beetles then head to the same area the following month or so and recount and if there aren't the same or more they are like "the beetles are disappearing due to the ATV's" haha. i'm willing to bet these beetles migrate all over that area....there is so much untouched land it's crazy to think they are just in that one area. so sad....this was my first time at coral pink and it seemed the closed areas were some of the most fun areas.

Edited by flavtfan

Most of the closed trails had tracks going in them. We found it hard to figure out as you would be going down a trail and not see a closed sign, but then come up to the backside of a closed sign. So basically we were in the closed area not even knowing it. Which sucks, cause you know they will just use this against OHV saying they can't keep us out.

The Utah Rangers didn't seem to be a big fan of the BLM closures.

I was thinking the same thing.....blm will see all the tracks and say they can't keep us out of the closed areas and will say we have no respect yada yada.....very poorly marked, seemed just like random signs everywhere

Most of the closed trails had tracks going in them. We found it hard to figure out as you would be going down a trail and not see a closed sign, but then come up to the backside of a closed sign. So basically we were in the closed area not even knowing it. Which sucks, cause you know they will just use this against OHV saying they can't keep us out.

The Utah Rangers didn't seem to be a big fan of the BLM closures.

that's because they will be out of a job when its for hikers only...they wont need as much man power

Edited by sanddunesaddict

They pulled this sh*t back in the 90's and we gave them a certain amount of acreage in the dunes to be fenced off and studied. I am surprised that the Utah Allied Land Usage organization did not put anything out on this. I will be on the phone with their director tomorrow or wed. There has to be a way to get this overturned.

Terry

• Like 2

They pulled this sh*t back in the 90's and we gave them a certain amount of acreage in the dunes to be fenced off and studied. I am surprised that the Utah Allied Land Usage organization did not put anything out on this. I will be on the phone with their director tomorrow or wed. There has to be a way to get this overturned.

Terry

there looked to be a spot in the middle of the dunes that was certainly closed...but they also closed what appeared to be the entire middle section of wooded trails and stuff so you had to go around them. Jodi and Mike said this was probably the most fun part of riding there was right where they closed.

How can land be closed down without first notifying the public? I have never been there but would like to someday. Seems as though someone wants to take land and keep it " Temporarily Closed" until they get the info they are after to permanently keep it that way.

Why can't this study take place while that area is shared with the off-road community? Counting beetles seems kinda pointless, You count some one day and on another day you get a higher or lower number? Who says you didn't miss any the first day?

Have the Beetles sign up for Obama Care- Then you will get the number!

• Like 2

It really sucked to be cruising along and have to turn around all the time. Very hard to get a good run going now. I hope they are not doing this for long or the place will be ruined for me. I will be bring dirt tires next time to go across the road and play.

We went through those "No OHV" points and didn't even know it. To be honest I couldn't even tell where they ended or even begun. By the end of the trip if we "accidentally" went through one we continued to ride until we got out of the closure without any acknowledgment that we were even in a closed area. By the end of the weekend we just rode and if we were in a closed area then so be it.

Edited by Chadwick
  • Like 1

More wilderness? That just means people who are getting older or those who have suffered injuries (like me) or the disabled are no longer welcome as we can't go trudging around anymore without mechanized assistance (you know, like ATV's buggies, Jeeps ect)

I wonder what the AAPD would have to say about this. (American Association of People With Disabilities)

Maybe it's time to sick them on this. They are being discriminated against. (Wink, wink)

Fight fire with fire.

• Like 1