What engine oil do you guys use and why?

nwtdiesel

I like to always hear what oil people use and why. Lets hear it!

What oil?

Weight?

What engine?

Why do you choose the oil you run?

How often do you change it in your rail?

What filter do you use?

I have run Schaeffers engine oil in all my vehicles for years and I am running the 5/50 Schaeffers racing oil in my rail. I run it because the base in Schaeffers is the best I have seen, it has moly and anti friction additives, the break down point is at very very high temps. I have done a lot of research on oils and have been to several oil demonstrations that compare oils head to head on different machines to see what oils break down with heat and which ones survive. You can get Schaeffers at Butches, SoCal speed and McFaddendales.

If you want to do a little reading check it out http://www.schaefferoil.com/

Valvoline VR1 10W50 because that's what the engine builder recommends I used to run Valvoline Synthetic but was still changing oil after every 2 trips. It was easy to see it was a waste of money so I went to VR1.

What oil? Castrol Syntec

Weight? 10W30

What engine? Honda 3.5 turbo

Why do you choose the oil you run? Because that's what the previous owner ran in it, it's a decent oil, and fairly inexpensive at Wally World

How often do you change it in your rail? When it starts to look like diesel oil. jk, every 3-4 trips

What filter do you use? Fram or Bosch

Im using lucas 10-40 racing oil with hi zinc. $9.99 per quart. . I know its for breaking in motors but ive done google research and found out motor will last longer than with regular oil. I change oil every 3-4 weekends rides. And oil filter every 2 weekends ride. So far its working fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I stick with Valvoline VR1. Weight of oil differs between motor type, climate, and how hard you run it. Most new motors like the light weight stuff but doesn't mean that it is best. I always talk with my motor builder yearly to stay in touch with what works. Factory oil pumps are also loosely built so they also come into play where an aftermarket oil pump has a tighter tolerance which changes the requirement as well. Regardless rule of thumb is some oil is better then no oil.

• 4 weeks later...

Valvoline VR1 10W50 because that's what the engine builder recommends I used to run Valvoline Synthetic but was still changing oil after every 2 trips. It was easy to see it was a waste of money so I went to VR1.

Where are you finding 10w50 VR1? I can only find 20w50.

Last season I pulled the pan about every 4 trip, and seen sludge with the full race synthetics, so I have been using just a normal synthetic like Royal purple and change every trip, and purchased a

oil filter separator so I can cut it open to look in it, don't see any partials so hope it is good,

with a LS3 Stroked to a 416, and bearings set on the mains at .0022 and the rods at .0023 I get 60lbs at idle with a 10w-40,