Kick Off Weekend and Day Trip - Trip Report - 10/3-5/14

sand chick

Rolled out Friday evening just in time for a spectacular dune sunset!!

Yes it was HOT!!! :rolleyes: But those of us that have sand in the veins could not wait for cooler temps and headed out to get our sand junkie fix this weekend!

Entrance road was better this year at this time than last year at this time... still a mess.. I still think if we have to have a pass Oct 1st, the road should be smoothed out by Oct 1st :2cents:

Not a ranger in site all weekend though.

Sand was SMOOOOOTH!!! :headbang1:

Not too many peaks, razors and weirdness, that was nice, it felt a bit like mid season off weekend dunes.

Cards Against Humanity and Bud's Balls :laughoff::laughoff:

Rees and Tracy's Carne night DELISH as always! :eat: Thank you guys for all the work you put into the feast, it is greatly appreciated!

All in all it was a great weekend, with great friends!

Some photo's of the weekend, didn't take too many this time around, too much fun going on :grin:

post-2396-0-84122300-1412556847_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-05357700-1412556857_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-01096400-1412556866_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-62320400-1412556874_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-11251400-1412556890_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-04783300-1412556905_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-72415200-1412556915_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-41565100-1412556928_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-96450400-1412556944_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-95907800-1412556958_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-23263800-1412556972_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-95242700-1412556985_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-95371100-1412556999_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-14307200-1412557017_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-26334300-1412557037_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-83359200-1412557053_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-42281100-1412557070_thumb.jp

Edited by sand chick

Well it was just a day trip for me but a great day it was. Rolled in a few minutes after 6:00am as the sun was just starting to peek and was loving the nice cool weather. Dropped the quad out of the truck bed and was ready to go feel that sand under the wheels. Started meeting people as they woke up, showed up....and a few minutes later everyone was firing up! Man that first ride was as close to perfect as you can get, smooth sand, good lines, cool breeze, and a great pace.

The next ride was more of the same..it was getting warm but as long as you were moving it was alllll gooood.

I think I loaded up around 1:00pm to head out, I planned on doing another run but after the group effort of snatching out a stuck motor home I was beat. If I had a car I probably would have done another but that quad wears me out! Came home and talked to the wife about a car lol.

It was great finally meeting you all and even better riding with you. Thanks Terry for leading some great runs and sorry for getting you sideways in that motor home!

Until next time...

20141005_075016_zpsd6986725.jpg

20141005_064110_zpsc984d803.jpg

Well it was just a day trip for me but a great day it was. Rolled in a few minutes after 6:00am as the sun was just starting to peek and was loving the nice cool weather. Dropped the quad out of the truck bed and was ready to go feel that sand under the wheels. Started meeting people as they woke up, showed up....and a few minutes later everyone was firing up! Man that first ride was as close to perfect as you can get, smooth sand, good lines, cool breeze, and a great pace.

The next ride was more of the same..it was getting warm but as long as you were moving it was alllll gooood.

I think I loaded up around 1:00pm to head out, I planned on doing another run but after the group effort of snatching out a stuck motor home I was beat. If I had a car I probably would have done another but that quad wears me out! Came home and talked to the wife about a car lol.

It was great finally meeting you all and even better riding with you. Thanks Terry for leading some great runs and sorry for getting you sideways in that motor home!

Until next time...

20141005_075016_zpsd6986725.jpg

20141005_064110_zpsc984d803.jpg

Thanks Stephen for volunteering the use of your truck to help the dummies out. My grandson is in love with your truck, good thing he's not a car thief lol! Glad you liked the pace Ithink it may have been a little to fast for some but you can't please them all.

Terry the pace was perfect! I had a blast and it was a AWESOME time again as usual. Great meeting new faces! My new paddles worked amazing and the car was sliding great and I was able to turn much sharper. Did you guys see Mike hauling a$$ and keeping up with us?? For those of you who do not know, Mike was the one on the black quad with riding boots, helmet and no gloves. He is paraplegic with no feeling in his legs. He shifts gears with his hand. Freaking amazing.

Tim, Jim, Mike and I were the only ones to go on the last run of the day around 12:30pm and came back to camp about 1:40. It really wasn't that bad while in the car. Loading up was another story.. I was sweating like a pig!

The sand was awesome! Only a few soft spots and not too many blow holes from what I saw. Very smooth and fast lines. Terry did a great job leading Sunday and Rees did a great job leading Sat. Both guys picked great lines.

Rees saved my a$$ Sunday, I got my Kodiak stuck and he pulled me out. We also pulled out a RV that was stuck.

Heres some videos of us riding wheelies and goofing off.

My wheelie http://youtu.be/Q9XJuBcrvF4

Tim Wheelie http://youtu.be/Vjpt-ui4bZk

Thee cars doing side by side wheelie which was really sketchy knowing you could wipe out a $30,000-$40,000 car next to you http://youtu.be/cXBBdWLir0Y

Edited by nwtdiesel
  • Like 1

Man I differently had an awesome weekend too bad I didn't stay overnight . I had to drive back to vegas and drop off a couple friends but came back on Sunday with a co worker and his wife. . Enjoyed chasing the longtravel thru thr dunes........ yes I cut the course a few times (4-6) times but hung in there on my purple rail with a 2276cc. Vdub motor. Floored to the floor in 3rd and 4th gear just to stay with the big boys. My second trip out I rode in a longtravel subie with a turbo.... maaaan thats nite and day compared to vdub rail.. you guys (ddr) group gonna have me spending $20-$30k on a new sandcar. I can see this happening soon. Next week 11-12 of oct ill be in vegas speedway watchin redbull airplane races but after that three weekends of dumont. .. im ready. See ya sooon. Ddr.

• Like 2

Some great rides on Saturday. It was super sketchy night riding Friday night on the quads but we took it easy and just screwed around. The Raptor motor decided it had enough of working and locked up the sunset run to North Pole Saturday night. I just loaded up and headed home Sunday morning and missed all those rides.

Halloween is going to be crazy with not much riding for Mike and I being on Vendor row. We will be there early for some riding and hoping to hit the dunes maybe in 2 weeks.

It was a fun day for me on Sunday. Woke up at 11:30pm Saturday, hit the road at midnight. Rolled into camp at 5:30am. No one was up so I just relaxed in my truck for a while. Newly got up and we talked for a few then decided it was time for everyone to get up so I unloaded my car and Newly fired his up. Other people slowly arrived, I met a few new people which is always a good thing.

Did 3 good rides then the heat was getting too much and I was loaded back on the road at 2pm. Got home just before 8pm. and passed out in bed. 11 hours of driving my truck to and from Dumont and a few hours in the sand. Totally worth the effort to do it. I had electronic power steering installed on the car and all I can say is HELL YES. What a difference that made, no more feedback through the steering wheel on bumps and super easy to turn while duning.

My only regret is not having my go-pro on when YNOT did his Randog impression on a wheelie. He had his car damn near straight up and down on a side hill. I though he was going to roll that thing but he managed to pull it off and didn't miss a beat and kept on leading the ride.

My next Dumont trip might not be till Presidents. So some of you better step up and make it down to Glamis. If I can do Dumont for a day, You can do Glamis for a weekend.

• Like 2

It was a fun day for me on Sunday. Woke up at 11:30pm Saturday, hit the road at midnight. Rolled into camp at 5:30am. No one was up so I just relaxed in my truck for a while. Newly got up and we talked for a few then decided it was time for everyone to get up so I unloaded my car and Newly fired his up. Other people slowly arrived, I met a few new people which is always a good thing.

Did 3 good rides then the heat was getting too much and I was loaded back on the road at 2pm. Got home just before 8pm. and passed out in bed. 11 hours of driving my truck to and from Dumont and a few hours in the sand. Totally worth the effort to do it. I had electronic power steering installed on the car and all I can say is HELL YES. What a difference that made, no more feedback through the steering wheel on bumps and super easy to turn while duning.

My only regret is not having my go-pro on when YNOT did his Randog impression on a wheelie. He had his car damn near straight up and down on a side hill. I though he was going to roll that thing but he managed to pull it off and didn't miss a beat and kept on leading the ride.

My next Dumont trip might not be till Presidents. So some of you better step up and make it down to Glamis. If I can do Dumont for a day, You can do Glamis for a weekend.

Ill do Glamis soon man. That's a promise. THANKS FOR THE BAD a$$ BORDER PATROL SHIRT!