Fatal accident early Sunday, 10/5/14

dunefreak

Lay off guys. Jmock60 just watched his friend die in front of him just over 48 hours ago. I'm sure you would be upset about any misinformation if you were in his shoes. Maybe a little understanding instead of getting defensive. I'm sure he will post what happened when he is ready.

The only one getting defensive is Jmock. Were all fine here, nobody is upset. Takes a little more then one upset guy to get anyone here riled up. We are all sorry for the loss as we have said several times. I know you guys understand stories change and get twisted as the story goes from mouth to mouth. Pete just posted what he heard and he also stated he wasn't sure if it was accurate. Would be nice to hear the truth from somebody when you guys are ready so the story doesn't get twisted anymore. Coming over here and barking at us is not the right thing to do, we have all lost friends as well, we are a tight group over here on this site and we all have Petes back. You guys aren't the only ones to lose somebody close to you or right in front of you. Be humble and happy your all alive.

Edited by nwtdiesel
  • Like 2

I would like to know what happened . So I may learn from this tragic accident....I also agree with nwtdiesel.... pete did not meant any harm . Ive read his post over and over and I understand what pete meant. The dunes are dangerous . Thats why I don't go to armagosa. I lost a good friend there years ago. I don't ride 3wheelers quads and razor/sxs... too dangerous. Im stayin with sandrails.

I think anything is safe as long as the person in control rides to their ability and not beyond. SXS are for sure safe. 4 wheelers are safe too. Bikes are sketchy but most guys who ride bikes in the dunes know how to ride. If its dark and you cant see go back to camp. If you cant keep up with the group stay in the back and cut lines and take it easy. If you been drinking sit one ride out. Use common sense. You need to know how to react in certain situations and the only way to learn is to ride the dunes over and over and over and as you do that you will get faster and learn your rig. Most accidents I have seen were from people going to fast.

• Like 2

Get your facts straight before putting rumors on the Internet. It wasn't his first time out in his rzr. He wasn't ejected and we didn't hit a witches eye. Flight for life came, landed, and left. Didn't even look for us. The first 911 call was at 12:53 and CPR was perform untill emergency personnel arrived around 3.

Damn son, unwind a little bit, take a deep breath, start back at the top and READ what was posted. No rumors, just what was passed on by another friend of the victims. How about instead of jumping into full jackasselope mode on your very first post on a forum you just offer your take on what happened with the accident? You know, maybe help others in the future not make the same mistake/mistakes that were made? And shed some light on the entire situation since you were a passenger in said RZR.

I've been to Dumont dozens of times over the years but will be making my first trip in a RZR this weekend. The info you could have provided might have been useful to may others as the SXS market is growing by the day.

And your buddy WickedYJ there may want to take the same advice. DDR is one of the tightest knit communities on the web and we will go way above and beyond to help and protect one another. Definitely wouldn't intentionaly be passing bum scoop on a fellow duners demise.

So what really happened so that others may be informed? In your calmest and kindest tone please.

RIP fellow duner, and prayers to the family and friends.

Edited by aceisback
  • Like 8

Bikes are sketchy

Sincerely/respectfully 100% disagree as someone with 29 years riding/racing/duning experience on 2 wheels. But totally beside the part.

Sorry for the loss of a fellow offroader! Never a good thing to hear! Especially at a younger age!

Edited by sirhk100

To any giving jmock60 any crap you need to shut up. He is one of my best friends along with he who passed. I can't imagine what he is going through right now and none of you are helping. Express your condolences if you feel like it and move on.

RIP fellow duner! Prayers and thoughts go out to family and friends!

@@jharb6 - No one is giving jmock60 any crap. It's all good and most people want to learn from this bad experience and make it a good one. If you know the story, please share when you feel that you can talk about this situation. Thank you.

@@jharb6... Nobody is giving jmock anycrap... I know exactly what he's going through I lost a nephew and a cousin a time ago in armagosa dunes so and I was there when this happen.... people lets this end with this post. Lets move on .. this young kid went to a better place. He's in heaven riding some steep dunes.

• Like 2

Get your facts straight before putting rumors on the Internet. It wasn't his first time out in his rzr. He wasn't ejected and we didn't hit a witches eye. Flight for life came, landed, and left. Didn't even look for us. The first 911 call was at 12:53 and CPR was perform untill emergency personnel arrived around 3.

To anyone who knows Justin Walker or was there at the time of his death: I am writing about his accident for the Las Vegas Review-Journal and I'm interested in how long it took emergency personnel to respond. I spoke with the coroner and with CHP, but no one from the ambulance company or Flight for Life would respond to phone calls.

I would love to talk to Walker's friends and family about his too-short life if they'd be willing, but I'd also like to know if these kinds of response times are considered normal, especially now that more people will be heading to the dunes.

I'm sorry for the riding community's loss, and my prayers go out to Walker's family.

• Like 2

Sincerely/respectfully 100% disagree as someone with 29 years riding/racing/duning experience on 2 wheels. But totally beside the part.

Sorry for the loss of a fellow offroader! Never a good thing to hear! Especially at a younger age!

I grew up riding bikes too. Started on a cr80 then 125 then 250 then a cr500. Yes they are sketchy, not as easy to ride as a 4 wheeler or sand rail. You have to be pinned 80% of the time while riding a bike in the sand. I'm much smarter now though and with age came the cage. I'm not saying bikes are bad in any way, just takes more effort, skills and talent. For the average guy who doesn't ride in the dunes often = sketchy a$$ riding lol Edited by nwtdiesel
  • Like 2

So In 2 days, this thread has over 8700 views and 30+ comments. Clearly, there are a lot more people reading this thread than you might think.

I think, if there was some information posted about how the accident happened and what type of vehicle it was, then it might do some good to someone who is heading out to the dunes and has that situation in their mind, maybe it might save some other lives, knowing the result of this particular accident.

I was new to the dunes once too, that sounds crazy, I know :dayum: . But, I found this particular site, read and learned a lot about hazards and do's & don'ts that I would never had thought of except to experience myself, and by then, it may have been too late, and I may have been another tragedy, or worse yet, caused one that killed or hurt someone else.

I would ask of those who were there, to post about how the accident happened. Not for everyone's morbid curiosity, but to educate us as to how it happened so beginner and even seasoned duners can learn and maybe prevent the same thing from happening.

Accidents happen, the best way to prevent them is knowledge!

• Like 5

One of my coworkers asked me about this today. She had seen it on the news. It is a terrible loss and tragedy, to lose someone so young. At 22, he was younger then my son. So if you can all maybe take into consideration that the persons dealing with this loss, are very young adults. Not only are they dealing with a great tragedy of losing a close friend or family member, but they are dealing with it at very young ages... The lashing out and anger that these young guys have shown is very normal in the grieving process... I don't know Justin, nor his friend's that have come on here, so this is nothing personal to me... just asking to maybe step into these young guys shoes a little. When someone is ready, maybe they will come on here and give a better understanding of what happened.. my thoughts again go out to Justin's family and friends..

This is the quick story that my coworker saw, its about the candle light vigil that was held in Justin's memory.

http://www.jrn.com/ktnv/news/Family-friends-remember-young-man-killed-in-ATV-crash-278380681.html

I am a fellow dune rider and got a knot in my stomachs when I heard of this news. I knew the family and many of the young adults dealing with this tragic loss. I am so sad for the loss the dune community is facing and most of all sad for the Walker family. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. I would also like to know more detailed information, when the time is right, so that I can use the information to help keep myself, my husband, my friends, and my family safer while riding in the dunes. RIP Justin. You will be missed by many.

• Like 1

To anyone who knows Justin Walker or was there at the time of his death: I am writing about his accident for the Las Vegas Review-Journal and I'm interested in how long it took emergency personnel to respond. I spoke with the coroner and with CHP, but no one from the ambulance company or Flight for Life would respond to phone calls.

I would love to talk to Walker's friends and family about his too-short life if they'd be willing, but I'd also like to know if these kinds of response times are considered normal, especially now that more people will be heading to the dunes.

I'm sorry for the riding community's loss, and my prayers go out to Walker's family.

klaux, I do not know the particulars of this incident but yes it takes a long time for emergency personnel to get out there at times, it is to be expected when you take part in a extreme hobby in a remote area. Unless fees are used to staff emergency personnel that won't change. Is that really news?

Has anyone responded back to the reporter? 3 hours seems to be an awful long time for a response to Dumont. We are always bringing up the issue of where our yearly pass and Nv ohv sticker money goes.

Condolences to the family and friends of the young duner who lost his life. Calmer heads will prevail

To any giving jmock60 any crap you need to shut up. He is one of my best friends along with he who passed. I can't imagine what he is going through right now and none of you are helping. Express your condolences if you feel like it and move on.

Nobody here is trying to give him a hard time, the loss is horrible and I cannot imagine what he must be going through having been there. I do think that if there is something that can be learned so that it does not happen to someone else, it would be good to share what happened. If it is to hard at this time to share the story, by all means I understand and take your time and heal.

• Like 1

Thank you Sand Chick for your comments. Anger IS a part of the grieving process. I was asking for a little understanding but apparently that’s "barking..." I can't say what happened because I wasn’t there. But, I do have experience with trauma and grief. As a healthcare provider, I see trauma fairly often. As a medic in the Army, I know what it is like to grieve for friends who died in gruesome fashion. I’ve seen some sh*t in my time on this earth.

I have been riding for over 20 years and riding at Dumont for 10+ so I know the dangers and the responsibility it takes to ride safely. I’m not some punk kid who is spouting off at the mouth…

Justin was part of my camp, a friend and part of my extended family. He made a mistake that cost him his life. So, again, try to have a little understanding with these young men who lost a friend. Telling them 'don’t get angry at a post' or 'stop bitching and complaining and tell us what happened' doesn’t make them want to open up.

If anyone wants to take something away from this tragic accident, then wear ALL your safety equipment and slow down. It’s better to get back to camp late than not at all. It could have made a difference for Justin.

Thank you everyone for your good wishes and condolences. I know the family appreciates the support.

13236169813_610b60b5a3_b.jpg

• Like 6

It is very sad to learn about a fellow dune patron losing their life in an accident. It is amazing how tight the dune community is and how we all feel the loss with out personally knowing the victim. As a whole we do support one another. It is by knowledge and caring for these unfortunate events that further prevent them from happening. It is also what brings us closer together when it comes to standing up for our right to offroad because we all know that each and every person that has lost there life in an offroad accident would not have changed a thing and if the shoe was on the other foot they would be supporting one of us. I like everyone else am extremely sorry for your loss and hope that someday it becomes easier.

Edited by Johnny Cashman
  • Like 1

we are all here for each other. one death is one too many! I really hate to hear this, especially when we are all getting geared and revved up for a new season. im sorry to hear this news so early in the season, please all my dune family be safe out there.