Anyone go back route Vegas to Dumont

jetjock15

I've done the back route, where you leave Vegas west toward red rock, once or twice but it's been a long time. Anyone do it as a preferred method? I'm thinking there is less mountain passes to deal with, my truck would be happy about less! Just wanted opinions from those who have gone both ways. Also, where to dump as you come back into Vegas? I know Parump has a place but that's a ways out of the way. Thanks for any advice.

The Baker route and "back" route both have a steep grade. The back way you have a set of switch backs where you have to be careful of on coming traffic coming blind around the corner. With that being said I've never gone to Dumont the Baker way it probably takes 30 mins longer, but I've driven to Cali plenty of times and that loooooong grade would suck. West on Blue Diamond every time for me!

• Like 1

Circus Circus is closing, you can use the Oasis RV park dump station at Blue Diamond and I15. Baker is longer and a steep long grade, Blue Diamond is shortest but the steepest hill, you can also go like your going to Amargosa and cut through Pahrump.. We have done all 3 of the routes, we usually go through Tecopa there and baker home to grab fuel and lunch.

• Like 1

I go Blue Diamond, to Tecopa, to Dumont.

there was some repair work on Tecopa/ Old Spanish trail over the summer. The road still isn't great, but some of the bad spots are better. I only tow a smaller trailer, but I know plenty of people take this route with up to 40' 5ths.

I live way up north, and I don't want to climb the Baker grade so I don't take the 15. I hate traffic, especially when towing a trailer so I don't like the 15 for that either.

• Like 1

We go to Armagosa often, that route would be many more miles. I live way up north also, dumping at i15 and blue diamond would be out of way, sucks there is nothing easy for us up north type. I can dump on Nellis and have, ill probably do the baker route at least back and dump at the gas station. Doesn't that back way get pretty tight on the switchbacks? My fiver is 42' I recall the canyon walls getting pretty close! Thanks for advice guys, it's been 4-5 years since I've been out there, excited to be going haloween

We live in the north also and I will only go the Armagosa/Pahrump/Shoshone way pulling the Hauler. Last time I did the mileage it was maybe 10 miles more then Baker. We dump in Pahrump and I like knowing if I forgot something I can usually grab it in Pahrump.

Baker everytime unless it's a day trip. I'm a 40' mojo plus 24' trailer. The hump to Pahrump is way steeper the baker grade. Yes the grade us long but not nearly as steep I set my cruise and let it do its thing. Can't do that on the hump to Pshrump. Might and I say might be 20 minutes more than tecopa way..... thru Pahrump off of Blue Diamond I bet it's about the same.

Driving to Dumont from Vegas, about 23 years now and have done about every way you can,

have towed with a FJ40 and trailer, Toyota Truck and 2 sand cars 2 wd 7.3 with a 30 foot carson, and the dreaded ford 6.0,

living in NW, I have took the 95 to Rainbow to Charelston, have took the 95 to 15 to Blue Diamond, 215 all the way to charelston, 215 to Durango then to Blue Diamond, Also have took the 95 out past

Indian Springs,

Most of the time I am inpatient, so I take the 215 to Charly then up thew RedRock and then to Blue Diamond and then back way to Tecopa,

The main reason is to avoid most of the people, I now Drive at Night and find it the most relaxing,

On the way back with the Ford 6.0 and a WW 3705 I take It into pharump fuel up and then threw to Indian springs, My truck just can not handle the Grade past Mt Pass, to hard on the Brakes,

I Now have a 6.7 Dually, so I am going to stick with the Tecopa Road there and Back, really don't like going into Pharump, feel I almost get hit by a car every other time I go there, and the Indian springs is the least amount of stress but takes allot longer,

I like less people for sure. even with my little trailer I hate the azzhats very much.

I usually leave from our shop so the 15 to Blue Diamond/ tecopa way is the shortest and fastest for me.

I was going to try the Amargosa Pahrump way with the F150 if it had too much trouble up the hump, but it did well enough for me to not go that way. Through Amargosa from where I lived added 20 miles i want to say, maybe that is from the shop i don't remember now. But I like going the shortest way. the F350 doesn't care at all with this trailer over the hump so that makes it easy also.