Ways to stay alive at Dumont

Responsible parents watch their (kids) at all times. They also don't let young people operate equipment unsupervised. Friends watch friends for possible stupid choices. They don't throw back another beverage and laugh like hell as it starts. Usually turns out being a statistic Show some "Nads" and look out for each other!

P.S. A "Kid' is determined by ability, intelligence and upbringing....... not just age!

:old:

• Like 1

Responsible parents watch their (kids) at all times. They also don't let young people operate equipment unsupervised. Friends watch friends for possible stupid choices. They don't throw back another beverage and laugh like hell as it starts. Usually turns out being a statistic Show some "Nads" and look out for each other!

P.S. A "Kid' is determined by ability, intelligence and upbringing....... not just age!

:old:

I agree with you 100% but we all know how quickly a responsible adult can lose track of a kid and something tragic can happen. Does that make the adult that was watching irresponsible or does the responsibility lie on the person that was running wide open past someone's camp? If common sense were common, everyone would have it (and use it).

I suggest not doing any night time Dune runs. Even the most experience duners will stay in camp at Night. Dumont is no Joke and can turn a night run into the last. Also by night time most Duners have had their share of the can of man. Just my opinion. Glamis and other riding areas dont compare to the steep dunes at Dumont. Know your limits

We went to a fund raiser Sunday for a friend in a Halo, wheelchair and typing his messages through a blow tube when we remove his feeding tube.

You don't want that to happen to you.

Dune sober, save the hard drinks for camp.

Slow down around camps (the law is 15 mph within 50 feet). Kids are cruising around honing their riding skills and usually have their own hands full in doing so. That being said, they aren't the best at paying attention to their surroundings and are certainly not watching for an a$$hat driving by wide open.

SO TRUE !

I suggest not doing any night time Dune runs. Even the most experience duners will stay in camp at Night. Dumont is no Joke and can turn a night run into the last. Also by night time most Duners have had their share of the can of man. Just my opinion. Glamis and other riding areas dont compare to the steep dunes at Dumont. Know your limits

This is so true.... I love to dune but Dumont Dunes are way steeper than Glamis. I have to admit that I was scared and was more cautious. I just try to stay away from the big dunes since I'm off and on from dune riding. Beer Drinking = Beer Balls, which might sound stupid but I had to deal with two idiots last time out and I just took their keys aways end of story call me a B**** but I rather deal with that then make a call to family saying an accident happened.

• Like 1

The fun part of riding in dunes in the dark is getting lost. The task is finding back to camp.

OMG this reminds me of a time when we were in Glamis and some guy showed up at our camp wasted couldn't even stand up. We told him he could crash at our camp site and find his back the next morning. So after some chorizon and potato breakfast burritos he was off. It sucks being lost and It's worst if your drunk poor guy.

Riding mid day with the sun at your back with relatively smooth dunes will get you in trouble as there's no contrast (shadows) and you can launch off a dune without ever seeing it. Check it out next time mid day, face your shadow and look a hundred yards out the sand looks all the same light color, then look 90 deg left or right and you'll see light and dark texture, tire tracks and hi / lo spots. You might be surprised. Better to always be turning and following ridges as they seldom abruptly end and cross over going downhill, you can see way more of the other side than going uphill, gravity assists you downhill and uphill, as an example, as soon as your right front tire goes over the ridge (razor) your left rear unweights and the rear of the quad, and to a lesser extent rail, will want to slide out. Personally, being a quad and bike rider mostly I feel safer at night, I can tell if a rail is coming up the other side by their lights, daytime I haven't a clue till I see a flag, if it's not on a soft springy pole.

• Like 2

Slow riding in camp area is a big one - They really should have a speed limit and enforce it in those areas.

Teach or at least tell new people in your camp dune etiquette and the rules, even if they think they are to cool and know everything.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Keep your safety gear up to date! If it's old or not functioning, fitting properly it can't do it's job and does you no good!

Several Christmas' back my son and a really good friend were in a sand car accident, the harnesses were so old that the driver's frayed apart on impact from years of sitting in the sun. Had I known or looked closer I would have never let my son in that car. Thankfully my son's harness held together and he ONLY shattered his ankle and received a contusion to his head.The driver survived, but his head hit the frame and he will never be the same.

I just got a new helmet myself, I was way over due, I believe you are supposed to replace every three years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

It is very easy to get lost at night. I use the free GPS Status and Toolbox app on my phone to mark camp. This is a very simple app that does not require cell signal to work. It will show you direction and distance to camp. It turns off the GPS when the app is closed but remembers your camp after you turn it back on. This feature saves battery.

This app is useful in large parking lots as well.

I'm sure iOS has something similar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Great topic Pete, one thing I always tell new duners is to always be very aware and look for flags coming at you when you are going over a transition. You can always turn back down if you see a flag coming at you. Never go straight over a dune. I also agree with the first run or two need to be slow runs to find all the witches eyes and drop offs then you can turn up the speed once you have scouted your favorite lines. 

• dunefreak pinned this topic
  • 1 year later...

With all the newbies seen at halloween this year, it's time again to bump this post from cobweb land...

Don't jump in someone's line passing them like your in an off road race... If you want to race and pass people, build your rig for that and take it to the track... Saying this for the a-hole in a white RZR pro 🖕who literally did that to our line... Thankfully we have radios and we were warning each other as he blindly came up on our right side passing and cutting us all off inches away. If I would have drifted right at all it would have been over... Take a different line, there's plenty out there!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Let calmer heads prevail. Lately with the SXS craze (yes I have one too) and the amount of horsepower they have....just try to be calm when one of the a$$hats cuts you off. Sometimes it's tempting to run them down, but I feel the better option is to let them know they're number one! 

903.JPG

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • dunefreak featured this topic
  • 1 month later...

A friend of mine got ran over at the entrance to comp,  we tried to tell him that it was a dangerous area on a Holiday with very little experience on a Bike,   I  try not to cut the blind corner at the entrance/exit bottle neck going to and from Comp hill,  some people think it is left and right like the flow of traffic on the street,  my advice for people is dont cut the corner, it can lead to a head on,      

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great Topic for the beginning of the 21/22 season. Often we are told by someone that has crashed (anything) that they wished they had more safety gear on when it happened. Lets all make it a point whether your in a Sand Rail, on a Side by Side, Four Wheeler or a Motorcycle to dress for the crash not the ride. Get comfortable with the helmet, gloves, boots and any other safety gear so they are all a part of the ride and they will be there in the unfortunate event you crash or someone crashes into you.

Have a Great Season Everyone!!!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

i remember everyone seemed to know everyone . when my son crashed on the flats by comp babert had him covered and i was told all the way out at north pole through word of mouth and i got to the ranger station before my son did . 

• Like 3