Phones

HelmetPigtails

Last year we know that our daughters verizon phone worked pretty much everywhere but our AT&T phone only worked a little bit at the north pole. we are going to buy a throw away phone for this season just to use at Dumont, does any others work out there? Sprint, Boost. T-mobile etc... or is it just verizon that works out there?

Not sure, I have Verizon and it worked good last year. Some friends had Sprint and it was okay last year. Here is an option to make sure you have phone coverage!...

Iridium, Globalstar or Inmarsat Satellite Phones https://satmodo.com/ a little pricey but you'll be connected!

Edited by BearsZX72

Phone is for emergency for the most part, so we went out and bought a month by month plan verizon phone but we paid more for an upgraded phone. has unlimited talk and text and 500mb data for $45.00 a month, we will only be using it during dune season.

Bestbuy has a verizon ellipsis 7 tablet, if you have a verizon phone this tablet will act as a hot spot for your other wifi devices, if you add it to your plan or you create a new plan the tablet is only 4.09 as all you pay is the tax. we added the tablet to our daughters verizon account so we can now have internet on our other tablets and our laptop while we are in the dunes. don't know when the sale ends but if someone wanted a cheap hot spot, this is the way to go. we looked at the verizon hot spot by it's self and that would have been 50.00 a month where this is only 10.00 a month as an additional line on your existing verizon account.

Ok, so we had our AT&T Phones and has NO service at our camp (we didn't try them anywhere else except on the road in and to our camp by bathroom 9. Our verizon phone worked perfect. our hotspot was wicked FAST for my laptop, we were getting 15mb download and 5mb upload.

• 1 month later...

Yup I have had Verizon forever but recently changed to TMobil. Zero Service from Baker on up and basically from Barstow up no Internet service at all. I will use my Pay as you Verizon for Dumont trips as I like the idea of not Internet for a few days. Not sure though.

Don't quote me on this but I think the tower is north of the Dumont Cutoff. We camp on the bluff so we have a line of site up towards the north. We have never had any issues with Verizon from our spot on the bluff, as long as we locate just past the fee station.