AmargosaDunes

foolofsand

Here is an article from Pahrump that looks like the BLM is in the process of closing Amargosa Dunes. Many of us ride there and this is another reason the govt is out of control. One of the last places of freedom. Amargosa will become another Kelso Dunes. Might want to check out the article.

http://pvtimes.com/news/blm-plan-criticized-adding-new-areas.html

They aren't closing Amargosa Dunes. The BLM is in the process of restructuring a new land management plan. Some of the area surrounding the dunes (some trails) could be lost, but nowhere in any of their plan options does it show the dunes will be closed. I specifically asked about Amargosa at the last meeting. He said it stays open to OHV. I urge you all to get involved and become educated on the plan so you can submit comments to keep your favorite riding areas open instead of losing them.

• Like 2

saying they will be closed is a wake up call to the off road community. i never trust the govt, blm etc. they take it all inch by inch and then walla...no riding anywhere...ask california, southern utah etc. since i have been riding for 60 yrs there are many many places i cannot ride any longer. its called protection...bs bs bs.

• Like 2

There is a meeting tomorrow (Thursday) eve at the Bob Rudd center in Pahrump about this.

I don't know exactly what they plan to close, but they do plan on closing our land. This is our land, not theirs.

It looks like tomorrow is the last scheduled public presentation about this. 3pm to 7pm open house format.

http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/info/newsroom/2014/october/southern_nevada__1.html

Public comment will close Jan 7th.

This plan encompasses southern Nevada.

I wish I had the answer to stop any closure at all, but this is what I can offer.

I went to the meeting last week. I strongly urge every one of you to go in order to get a better understanding of what's going on. They need specific feedback from the community with details. Sending in drafted letters or letters with your general opinions on how you are against this will not help anything. Your letter doesn't count as a vote as "for" or "against". This is something that is going to happen no matter what. How it affects our riding areas depends on HOW they develop their new land management plan. That's where you as an OHV user come in. You need to take a close look at each of the 4 alternatives (development plan options) and see how it affects key locations. Give a valid reason why you believe those areas should remain open even if it's just because it's a scenic road you enjoy taking through the desert. If they get no input on these areas from the OHV users, it may not remain OHV designation. That means CLOSED to riding.

So like I said, go to the meeting. Become educated on this, put forth a little effort and take a stand with the OHV community. Your voice matters. The last meeting had a very good turnout and they were very happy to see that. The BLM representatives were very helpful and friendly to talk to. The BLM OHV rep was about my age (in his 30's) and rides as well. So this affects him also. Take a look at the map, have him explain everything to you, and ask as many questions as it takes to get a clear understanding of what is going on and what you can do.

This bureaucratic stuff is always very deep and difficult for me to understand so I am just laying it out there as simple as possible how I understand it. Hopefully this helps some others.

The following is an image of the OHV maps I was referring to. Alternative 1 is the current plan that was they are operating under which was developed back in 1998. Alternatives 2-4 are rough drafts of possible plans that designate what happens to each area. Their goal here is to come with a new plan. Each plan can be tweaked so if none of them look like a legitimate option for you, send in your comments why. The same goes for shooting and camping in the area. They have maps and plans for that as well.

You can download or view the pdf to get a better look at the legends and maps here, https://www.blm.gov/epl-front-office...signations.pdf

Off_Highway_Vehicle_Designations.jpg

Next meeting...
Thursday 11/13- Bob Rudd Community Center- 150 North SR160, Pahrump NV 89048 3pm-7pm
Presentations are at 3:15, 4:15, 5:15 and 6:15, but you can arrive at any time. BLM representatives will be there the whole time for questions.

well, looky, looky....plans 2, 3, 4 do not allow any open riding in the desert. only on existing trails and the blm will designate which trails are existing and they can close any off those trails upon a whim.

our freedom of riding thru the open desert will be lost forever once these plans go into effect

i would go to the meeting but i am leaving for a 4 day motorcycle ride at 7 am.

hopefully someone can get there.

bundy is on the right track...govt trying to keep us home to watch tv.

thanks for the rant...just tired of getting pushed out of public lands.

Actually open desert riding (as in cross country/ ride wherever you feel like it) is already off limits other than at Apex, the dry lake beds and Amargosa Dunes. But I hear what you're saying. We will be limited more with any new plan because non-designated trails and washes would be off-limits. That part is why I am suggesting no change from the current plan we operate under (#1).

I'm going to the meeting along with others I called last night.

We all have busy lives, but at some point please leave a comment if you can't make the meeting. Cutoff for comments Jan 7th 2015

Written online comments: http://tinyurl.com/qzvaht7

Or email to: sndo_rmp_revision@blm.gov

Regular mail: RMP Project Manager, Bureau of Land Management, 4701 N. Torrey Pines Drive, Las Vegas, NV 89130

Fax: 702-515-5023

I'm going to suggest plan one as dunefreak (Pete) recommends. I like things as they are. (I don't like change)

As he also suggests, flipping out on them will not be constructive.

I'm going to tell them I regularly enjoy drives through the desert as a family activity and some of us are not well enough to walk.

As soon as land is not accessible to motorized vehicles, older people and those with disabilities are no longer able to enjoy the land. To me that discriminates against all except the most healthy among us.

Update for those planning to attend the meeting in Pahrump today:

November 13 – Bob Rudd Community Center, 150 N State Route (Highway) 160, Pahrump--Due to limitations of the facility, the BLM is rescheduling the public meeting in Parhump. Information on a new meeting will be provided at a later date.

Nice of them to update the website this morning, look at the bottom of the page for when it was last updated.

The link again: http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/info/newsroom/2014/october/southern_nevada__1.html