Veterans Day Weekend 2014

sandawg

OK, If you don't like my rants then time to check out another post.

First off I appreciate that BLM has finally done something about the entrance road! We'll see if they know how to maintain it.

We counted about 500 camps during the weekend. As you should know by now, my group camps on the bluff right above the Fee Station.

The BLM office in Barstow, still hasn't got it, as it pertains to collecting fees on a fairly busy weekend.

We arrived on Tuesday prior to the weekend and watched as people came in. Is it any surprise that no one was there to check for passes. No big thing as they can be found out as they exit after an enjoyable stay at "Our Dunes".

We saw no Law Enforcenent the entire week or weekend. We did see, on two occations, a BLM fire fighter come by for a bit to chat with the two young guys that showed up. Are they volunteeers or maint? What ever, they did do some sign work while they were there. That took at least a couple of hours. The pace was typical of someone that works for BLM. Use your imagination on what I mean by that.

During the weekend they did spend at least a couple of hours a day talking to folks coming in or leaving. As I see it they were there to do a job but when you get there after most of the visitors have left in the morning or leave before the afternoon visitors, see that they are gone, and leave without having to purcahse a pass.

This is getting long so I will close with; How come Barstow BLM is crying about getting money to operate efficiently at Dumont? Why Terry has about had his fill of trying to work with them to improve Dumont and help the uneducated operate a money making site.

We did watch as a family come to the fee area with several vehicles and spun dounuts on the road, several more people riding on the road, resulting in damage with their paddle tires on the road.

Why don't people understand at BLM that unwatched visitors they will do whatever they want to do since there is no one there to stop, or inform that they are idiots.

I don't know if I feel better or not to post this, or if BLM will see this, or they even care. Those of us that love Dumont will still come but...............Wake UP BLM Barstow!

Edited by sandawg

I didn't know that was a possibility. If it is a free week or weekend wouldn't some LEO coverage be expected because of expected increase in useage?

Yes we did see the two young men talking to some, for a limited amount of time each of the weekend days but if is a free weekend why was that?

I know..... :beatdeadhorse:

:old:

Free day was Veterans day only.

Sandawg,your exactly right as to what the issues are at Dumont and what they will continue to be as long as the current administration is in power. The road should be pretty good all year due to a new piece of equipment that they bought or are buying after the 1st of the year when grant money comes out. it can be pulled by a 1 ton truck and does not need a grader or operator to keep the road in good condition. As to fee and pass control I don't have an answer for you, yet. I am curious if anyone has seen the public safety sign that should be posted on the side of the upper visitor's building. I would like to know if it's been put up for the season or not. Please let me know when you make your next trip.

• Like 1

Possible revenue from 150 camping units @ $40 =$6000. Assume half had permits or season passes and that is enough to do something for Dumont. I figure about 3-4 people per unit and that's nearly 1000 people enjoying the dunes.

:2cents: