Replacing starter on Generator?

Just Mike

Has anyone had to replace a starter on a generac primepact 50G ? My starter is not engaing anymore so it looks like it is time to replace it. I was wondering if the whole thing needs to come out or if it can be done in the trailer?

Funny you this ask this Mike. My Onan 5500 is sitting in my yard next to the hauler as I wait for the starter to arrive. What a PITA getting that thing out. The starter on this Onan is mounted vertically in the rear of the gen set. I couldn't even see it until removing the unit. Replacing the unit will be just as fun I'm sure. My guess is yours is similar. See if you can find an explode view of your unit online. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I finally Puled the generator to put in the starter. It was not to bad and Paul helped me put it back in. The new starter had shims to allow for the flywheel wear which was very nice. It is all back together and running great. It seems like it is idling high now but I also change a fuel line so maybe it is just running right now?

Lucky you. I have yet to fix mine. It's still sitting in the backyard next to the hauler since before Thanksgiving. Got the starter, just have no time to fix/re-install it. I had a surging issue with mine before the starter went, ran a can of Seafoam through it, and it cleaned out the carb within an hour or so. I have a feeling I'm gonna have that problem again. It's been sitting too long between use.

Found the problem last night. It was the governor bellcrank. It was worn through and not holding the rod properly. I tried to melt it and fix it for this weekend but that did not work. It cost $1.15. LOL. SHIPPING COST $8.00. I am just happy I found the problem.

Edited by Mike @ GTP OFF ROAD
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...