091 (6 Rib) Issue Need Advise

BearsZX72

Back story link for those that didn't read it or need to catch up, http://www.dumontduneriders.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=19634#entry247837

I took my rail out twice this season, once in November and again in December.

The November trip was a day trip to Dumont. Made about 3 runs in a 6 hour period. Over all was a good day with one issue. On the last run the clutch felt like it was slipping. I was able to still shift and make it back to the trailer and only felt it happen once.

The December trip was a weekend trip to Dumont on the Buggy Round-up Trip. My first run on Saturday was good with no issues. The next run started out good but within 30 minutes of running, I felt what seemed like the clutch slipping again. I was dunning and heading up hill and went to down shift into 2nd, I couldn't get it into 2nd. I lost all power and pointed the car downhill. I Shut the car off and placed the trans axle in neutral and rolled the car down the hill. I played with the stick and clutch pedal and was able to get back into 1st gear. It took about 5 minutes for this. Once I was able to get it, I started the car and placed it in 1st. The car died a few times but I was able to get it back to camp in 1st and 2nd. When I got back to camp I checked fluid levels and linkage and other things and didn't see any issues. I let the trans and engine "cool" down for a few hours and started up again. I drove it around the flats for a few minutes in 1st and 2nd with no issues. Once the trans and engine "warmed-up" same thing happened again, could not get it into gear. So, I waited and then drove it back to camp and parked for the rest of the weekend and started to drink BEER!

Fast-forward to February. Took the engine out, removed the clutch pressure plate, disc and throw out bearing. Bought all new from Kennedy Engineering in Palmdale, CA. Took old parts with me to make sure I bought the right new parts. I was talking with them at Kennedy and found that I was missing a dust plate under the engine between the engine case and adapter plate. Bought that too. Installed all new clutch parts and put the engine back together. Changed out the sand paddles for desert tires. Took the rail out of the garage and drove around the house and shop. All seems good in 1st gear and reverse. Drove the car down a dirt road and got up to 4th gear with no issues, down shifted to make a turn, all good. Got on it and went up into 3rd, no issues, down shifted again to turn around. Shift up into 3rd and was moving good. Went to down shift and turn around and it happened again! I couldn't get into gear. I was stuck in the desert about 2 miles from home. I sat there and let it "cool down" for a few minutes. I did notice that I could not get the Trans into neutral this time or reverse. Hmm...I final was able to start the car and roll back home in 2nd gear. I got back home and down shifted to 1st. I pulled into the driveway and was going to back into the garage and I still did not have reverse. I also noticed that I could not get the Trans into neutral, again. I placed a strap on the clutch pedal and pushed the rail back into the garage.

I removed the back seat and took apart the shift linkage at the nose cone. Even then I couldn't get the Trans into neutral. I could shift gears and run from 1st to 4th. I don't think I ever got it into reverse thou.

Any suggestions?

I think I'm going to pull the engine and the Trans. I'll take the Trans to Transaxle Engineering in Chatsworth, CA and have them take a look at it. I'm stumped at this point and need someone with professional experience to help me.

If you can get into all 4 gears, then you can get into neutral. Neutral is when the stick moves right to left. The only time you wouldn't be able to get into neutral, is if you were somehow stuck in gear.

Reverse can be tricky if the teeth are not lined up on the gears just right. You might be able to find it if you rock the car back and forth.

When you are trying to downshift from 3rd to 2nd, does the shifter just not want to find the 2nd gear "gate", or is the shifter literally stuck in 3rd and will not come out?

By the way, feel free to call me at the shop if you get a chance. It may be easier to discuss one the phone.

Sean

805-562-8600

Hey Sean,

See the problem just started. Before this, I was able to shift fine through the gears and place it in neutral. The neutral thing just started the other day. I replaced the shift bushing a few months back and it worked after that with no problems. Downshifting...correct, it doesn't want to go into 2nd gear or the gate, it feels like it comes out of 3rd but not into 2nd. I rock the car back and forth and it's still in gear. I rocked the car every time I thought I was in neutral and it was in gear. I know I was in which gear cuz the car either moved a little (1st and 2nd gear) or a lot more (3rd and 4th). I assume this is cuz of 1st and 2nd being "low" gears and 3rd and 4th being "high" gear, not sure?

I'm off tomorrow (Friday 2/27) and I'll be working on it again. I'll be checking the fluid level, shift bushing and the slave piston throw. Hopefully it will be one of those issues. If not, I'll call you! I copied your number done.

Thanks,

Brady

Sean, I think I may have found the issue....

Looks like the inside of the nose cone is damaged pretty bad. When we pulled the nose cone off, a lot of fine silver and some chunks came out with the gear oil. Here are a few pics of the inside of the nose cone. Let me know what you think.

20150228_140210_zpsbbjqpjdc.jpg

20150228_140221_zpsvj1c3xwy.jpg

20150228_140153_zpsvjihxwot.jpg

I would be more interested to see what the shift linkage looks like.

Looks like someone did some 'hand" clearancing with a dremel tool for some reason.

Have you drained the oil from the entire trans yet? What kind of "chunks" are they? Magnesium from the housings or steel from the gears?

From what I've seen, the shift linkage appeared to have no issues.

No, I have not drained the trans. I'll open it up tonight and check it out.

Tomorrow I'm heading down to Transaxle Engineering to have them open it up and take a look for me and repair what is broke. I told Jeff at Transaxle Engineering what was going on with my 091. He assumes that the reason it's not going into neutral is that one of the gears is fused to something (I forget what he said) and not allowing it to go into neutral, due to heating up.

I'll update tomorrow on the gear oil and particles and then whatever Transaxle Engineering says.

Well, dropped the trans off at Transaxle Engineering yesterday. While I was there, Jeff opened the trans to let me take a look inside and to see what it looked like. There was not a lot of silver that came out but it was coated and a few small chunks. Jeff and his worker said it was not too bad. All of my gears are Weddle mixed with stock parts and an aftermarket rear seal. Jeff's first thought is that all my gears are good, even reverse. There's to much play on the main shaft. Jeff thinks that my main shaft bearing is bad and some other bearing (I don't remember) is bad too. That's where all the metal shavings came from.

Today Jeff will disassemble everything and Magnaflux(? spelling). Then he will let me know what is going on with all those parts and if I need anything else (I hope not!). He recommended a few aftermarket parts to get rid of the cast iron internal parts. We'll see when he calls and what the news is, then I'll see what I can afford from there, meaning "must have" parts to "nice to have" parts.

Looks like someone did some 'hand" clearancing with a dremel tool for some reason.

I asked Jeff and it was clearance for the re-enforcement bracket on the inside for the shift linkage on the trans.

Well, all I have to say is WOW! The trans is pretty much toast. I need a lot of internals, from what I can remember...new 4.56 Ring and Pinon, half of 1st, 2nd and 3rd, spider gears, bearings, diff cover (going with chromoly) and other parts I can't remember. Parts will total about $1950, plus labor. They should have the trans until late next week then I'll put the car back together the weekend of the 21-22, I hope.

Edited by BearsZX72

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, another update:

Got the trans back from Transaxle Engineering on Friday. Final bill was just under $2800 for the rebuild. Lots of new parts along with a new gear box; my nose cone and bell housing was good. I'll update the parts later and photos of old parts.

Do you guys think $72 for a 1 gallon jug of Swepco 201 gear oil is crazy? That's what I was charged, and they didn't even add it for me. I found it for $56 online.

Installed the trans on Saturday afternoon. All went good with the install, except for getting the CNC Slave Piston aligned, I was told the throw should be exactly 7/8 of an inch, not 3/4 or 1 inch. That took some time getting that correct.

Then I decided to pull the CV's and axles and have them repacked and Magnafluxed for damage. This is my first time working on/with CV's, mine are 930's. Since I was already there, why not. Better to be safe than sorry down the road. As of right now I need to buy at least 1 CV boot flange. I'll know more after the magnaflux is complete.

Should I run CV Savers or who runs them? What about double boots?

I think were selling it for around $65 + $10-15 for shipping. So $72 is a bit of a deal to be able to have it right now. Jeff and Johnny are good guys, like any small business, they have to make some money to keep the doors open and make a living.

Pete pays a little more because I've told all the suppliers in Vegas to up-charge him! :idiot:

Really? That seems VERY pricey for a petroleum based product! When crude oil closed at $47.51 a barrel yesterday...

@@ltr450rider Yes, Jeff and Johnny treated me REALLY GREAT! No complaints here! Jeff always updated me on the progress and he didn't go over the quoted price (which was great!) I would recommend them to anyone that is looking for a great trans builder!

Edited by BearsZX72

It's alive!

I ran back down to Transaxle Engineering and had them magnaflux my axles, CV Star's and CV Cages. All was good. I needed new CV boots and flanges so I ran over to Kartek and picked them up.

Started the reassembly on Saturday morning, We had it all running and took a test run around 7pm. Nice short run. Then I ran it on Sunday for about an hour. I have to say it's good to have it working 100%. I think it never ran this good in the 2 years that I've owned the rail! I cant wait to run it more this coming weekend, in the desert.

I don't think we'll be making any sand runs until October or so.