Thanksgiving 2015 weekend reports, let's hear it

dunefreak

I can't believe how empty it was for Thanksgiving this year. Halloween had a way bigger turnout. Oh well, we still had a great time.

It got chilly at times, but overall the weather cooperated.

I think I saw the helicopter maybe once, but didn't hear of any big accidents so that's good.

The dunes were is great shape I thought. We layed down some great dunes runs and even got a couple in with the Hotrails guys. Hoping they join us for the Buggy Roundup.

Comp Hill was fun Friday and Saturday night watching Speed Racer Mike whoop up on a bunch of cars. Man that car is fast. Friday was hopping over there but Saturday it seemed like everyone had already gone home. My buddy Brian had friends that brought their bouncy house over there. Thought that was pretty funny. It was intended for the adults but a bunch of kids took it over.

post-3-0-16524600-1448862499_thumb.jpg

Some quick buggy run highlights.

More pics to come...

• Like 2

It was a fun weekend. I was camped with Mike and with him at the hill Friday and Saturday. His car is fast for sure. What's the best is when they roll up and see it's a V6 😀. I had my new car out this weekend and can hang with him but he pulls me at the top. I only made a couple of passes on Saturday night since I had a leak in my dry sump tank. Hopefully I will have it fixed before the round up. Looking forward to meeting some new buggy peeps.

Edited by Buster
  • Like 1

It was a sad weekend on Vendor Row for certain with smaller crowds this year for Thanksgiving. Usually our busy days are Friday and Saturday, this year Saturday was more like a Sunday, talking with some of the other vendors, they felt it also. Even Hog Haven packed up Saturday night and left, as did several others.

There is a new parts vendor out there (if they come back) good news for all you VW guys, they carry a wide variety of VW parts as well as nuts and bolts, like Doghouse used to back in the day

Mike and I went out Tuesday night and Mike actually took the day off, so that he could enjoy his birthday on Wednesday. We hit the dunes first thing Weds morning and had quite a few close calls, with people cutting in-between us, I guess people think its not a line if theres only two of you and its ok to cut in-between? :dunno: I wasn't right on Mike's a$$, but I wasn't that far behind either. I actually had to put my hand out to stop someone in a Yamaha XYZ, to let them know I was coming and following behind Mike. It was crazy! Everyone really needs to pay attention in the dunes. Couple times if I hadn't stopped, I would have been ran into.

But the afternoon we hooked up with JoeDuner and had a great run. Then after lunch I stayed in and Mike went out for a faster run.

Thursday - Saturday it was work work work.

Friday night JoeDuner and a couple others came over to hang out at the fire and then several peeps from McFlurry camp came over Saturday night to have a nice birthday celebration for Mike and hung out by the fire. It's nice to have visitors on the vending weekends. We miss the company of camps, so enjoy the company.

Sunday we got up and packed it in.

I only saw the helicopter once as well, we heard something about someone going over comp and rolling 14 times :dunno: but didn't hear about any injuries.

A couple photos from one of Mike's birthday rides... and the full moon

post-2396-0-56251600-1448937392_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-43280900-1448937398_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-47229700-1448937403_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-87275400-1448937406_thumb.jp

post-2396-0-80238800-1448937409_thumb.jp

Edited by sand chick

Our crew had a pretty good time out this past weekend as well. some of the crew went out Wednesday and some of us didn't make it till Friday morning. Like most we noticed that the crowd was half the size as it was for Halloween. We had a few car failures with the busa cars in our group. One of them broke the front wheel in to two pieces, and the other snapped a chain and was having a few CV mounting issues. When the cars weren't running we took off on the bikes and quads and had some fun high pace rides. I got to get reacquainted with the sand on a personal level on that ride haha, but I was able to get up and finish the ride at the same pace we were riding before. I felt that one the next day though. On the way out one of the crew had a little run in with a ranger who ended up being really cool and letting him off with a warning. I was pretty surprised about this because the rangers seemed to be out watching everyone pretty close. I'd like to say i seen them do circles around our camp and the other camps around us at least 3 different times. It seemed like they were looking for a reason to ticket the duners, but after the warning I'm thinking they just wanted their presence known.

Friday night at comp we seen a razor come rolling down the left side of comp where it gets pretty steep. When I looked over I caught the first couple roll in time to tell the others in our group to look at what was going on. I believe that thing rolled about 5 or 6 full rolls before it stopped landing on the passenger side. With how steep the hill is right there I thought that thing was going to roll all the way to the bottom. Myself and two friends jumped into the car and hauled a$$ up to see if there was anything we could do to help. We were the first ones up to the razor. I thought it would be one or two younger males that were out partying, but to my surprise it was a family of 3. The dad was driving, the wife was passenger, and the 4 or 5 year old daughter was in the back seat. When I got there they were still all in the razor. Luckily all seemed to be OK. The dad was the first one out of the razor, and he wasn't sure the condition of his wife or daughter. The wife handed up her daughter to us and the she was very shaken up and scared. Luckily from what I could see the little girl had no injuries. The mom had a broken arm that was pretty bad, but she was in momma bear mode not showing any pain trying to make sure her little girl was ok. The rangers showed up pretty quick in their rail, and all the rangers in the trucks were crowded around the base of the hill. Once the rangers were there we we backed off and went back to our camp.

Some pics...

gallery_3_20_127468.jpg

gallery_3_20_256690.jpg

It was fun watching this guy play around on comp. This shot was him drifting and roosting all the way at the top edge of comp.

gallery_3_20_181704.jpg

gallery_3_20_103299.jpg

I spotted Speed Racer Mike at the top of comp

gallery_3_20_45694.jpg

Hanging Friday afternoon

gallery_3_20_147732.jpg

Our group out at north pole after a fun first run for me Friday afternoon.

gallery_3_20_55695.jpg

Quick cruise over to vendor row

gallery_3_20_174405.jpg

gallery_3_20_95846.jpg

gallery_3_20_11413.jpg

gallery_3_20_47318.jpg

Gearing up for a ride. (camp idiot/ Brian)

gallery_3_20_3420391.jpg

Brian & Amanda

gallery_3_20_3064048.jpg

mtrsprtdan or however he spells it

gallery_3_20_5577978.jpg

Waiting for Lou B to go fetch his gas cap at camp.

gallery_3_20_3377413.jpg

dentboy playing around

gallery_3_20_46836.jpg

gallery_3_20_15472.jpg

gallery_3_20_159202.jpg

Some more from the drags on Saturday

gallery_3_20_4414285.jpg

gallery_3_20_239628.jpg

gallery_3_20_1239331.jpg

gallery_3_20_5357849.jpg

gallery_3_20_5669165.jpg

Moon coming up

gallery_3_20_1672413.jpg

Grabbing lunch at Beefy Boys

gallery_3_20_5796194.jpg

gallery_3_20_30458.jpg

Vendor row

gallery_3_20_3813740.jpg

gallery_3_20_4012406.jpg

Our last dune run on Saturday

gallery_3_20_381825.jpg

gallery_3_20_24909.jpg

Sat night in camp

gallery_3_20_122047.jpg

Hanging at comp

gallery_3_20_170379.jpg

gallery_3_20_4890007.jpg

Amanda showing us her twerking skills on Carrie lol

gallery_3_20_2696612.jpg

We were one of the last ones over there.

gallery_3_20_4708786.jpg

I can't believe how empty it was for Thanksgiving this year. Halloween had a way bigger turnout. Oh well, we still had a great time.

It got chilly at times, but overall the weather cooperated.

I think I saw the helicopter maybe once, but didn't hear of any big accidents so that's good.

The dunes were is great shape I thought. We layed down some great dunes runs and even got a couple in with the Hotrails guys. Hoping they join us for the Buggy Roundup.

Comp Hill was fun Friday and Saturday night watching Speed Racer Mike whoop up on a bunch of cars. Man that car is fast. Friday was hopping over there but Saturday it seemed like everyone had already gone home. My buddy Brian had friends that brought their bouncy house over there. Thought that was pretty funny. It was intended for the adults but a bunch of kids took it over.

P1070567 (Medium).JPG

Some quick buggy run highlights.

https://vimeo.com/147288445

More pics to come...