Looking for a rental company near the dunes

williamgi248

I'm gonna be heading out to the dunes for the 1st week of march and am looking to rent a dirt bike for 3 days. I want to hear what you guys think would be a good dune running setup as far as displacement and tires. Or even if you think a atv would fare better in the dunes. I'm coming from jersey where we have woods and trails. This will be my first dune experience. Any tips/advice will be greatly appreciated i.e. food, lodging/camping, gas refills,Once past that if anyone knows of places that rent said bike. Proximity to the dunes is first priority. Rates are second priority.

First of all there is nothing "close" to Dumont. The closest city where you will be able to find any kind of OHV rental would likely be Las Vegas and it is 100 miles away. There is no water, fuel or anything except for pit toilets with no running water. Everything you want has to be packed in and than packed out. there are a couple of ATV and SxS rental companies in Vegas and than you would probably have to bring some kind of a trailer to transport them. If your driving out than U-haul would be a possibility. If your flying, than your going to have a real difficult time getting a vehicle that will tow a trailer. If you have "not " ridden sand dunes than you need to know that Dumont Dunes are in my opinion the most technical dune riding in this country. If you are not careful they will hurt you or kill you, I have seen to many newbies flown or carried out of there in the 40 years I have been going there. I am not trying to push you away from making the trip, but you need to know the complete story. You never go straight up and over a crest, always approach at an angle and once you have committed to your line do not give up on it, get your weight transferred and know how to ride the uphill side . It would be best if you see others going out on a ride and just jump in line behind them, most people don't mind and will be plenty of help. The best I can tell you is be very cautious until you know the feeling of crossing over the dunes a few times and than there witch eyes that will get you if your in the wrong place. So just be careful and I am sure others on this forum will offer up information and advice. Best of luck.

• Like 1