President's Weekend 2016 pics and reports

dunefreak

Any other pics or weekend reports? From what I heard from everyone it was gorgeous warm weather out there and the dunes weren't too bad. We got sent these awesome aerial photos from @@thatblondetess Pretty badass! They flew over Dumont in a small plane. Looks like a great turnout this year. Much better than last year. Remember there were no races at all.

post-3-0-37920100-1455585373.jpg

post-3-0-40450800-1455585375.jpg

post-3-0-46807300-1455585376.jpg

post-3-0-41922400-1455585374.jpg

photos from Sand Wars posted by National Sand Drag News

"Jayden Muchmore piloted the K&T Performance ride to an Unlimited class win on the UTV Hill Drags"

post-3-0-71093200-1455585739_thumb.jpg

"Congrats to Justin Adamson who took three first places and a runner up in the sand drags today along w Best Engineered for the weekend."

post-3-0-43788000-1455585859.jpg

"Mike Williams did a great job piloting Kenny Hayes' Dune Jeep taking a win in the X400 class and close second place in X200 on Saturday at Dumont."

post-3-0-01958200-1455585898_thumb.jpg

"Chris Calafiore put in a great showing with his Jeep on the Hill Climbs scoring a runner-up in the strong X400 class."

post-3-0-88075900-1455585932_thumb.jpg

"Justin Adamson and the Raped Ape doubled up on Saturday in two of the toughest classes on the Hill Climb event..."

post-3-0-48985200-1455585981_thumb.jpg

Couple great photos by UTV Guide/ Crowdog

Kong 2.0

post-3-0-46087400-1455586097.jpg

Congrats to K&T Performance on the Unlimited Class win at SxS Wars yesterday. Someone might want to let them know that 4WD wasn't necessary

post-3-0-48411300-1455586153_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I will post some pics up as soon as I go through them all...as for the trip report...I was 20mins into writing one and accidentally hit a wrong key on my laptop which made this window go back and lose everything I was typing...UGH. So, I will post that report later this week....DAMMIT. Here's a quick sentence though for the weekend....Good times with GREAT friends.....Report will come this week. Sorry.

Okay, I have a few free minutes here at work so I can write my Trip Report (unfortunately with no pics, I can't access them from a work computer....damn gov't computers).

So, my vacation started on Monday due to hosting a Super Bowl party and having to clean up the house on Monday and then getting the hauler and prepping it on Tuesday.

We (my wife, puppies and myself) headed out on Wednesday around 1130am....after stopping at a few gas stations that had pumps out of service for the easy pull through for trailers, finally found one on the way to Shoshone...gassed up and on our way.

We got stuck behind some guy in a grader tracktor who was going about 15-20mph and not pulling off, finally passed his dumbass and made the turn on the dirt road to D....road was perfect. Pull in to camp by crapper 9 and saw there were only a handful of trailers out that early. NIIIICE. Unloaded the trailer, set up, got a nice workout in from unloading 3/4 of a cord of wood from the truck to the fire pit, and then making a new fire pit from an old one....Whew...wiped out. Just as I finish, our friends pull in and helped them unload as well. After that it was time for a cold beer and a quick dinner. Drank, ate and hung around the fire to wind down.

Woke up Thursday (and through out the night with the famous Dumont Night Winds) to not that many more people. Ate breakfast, hung out, played some cornhole, then decided it was time for a nice little ride. Off we go...dunes - N Pole - dunes - S Pole - dunes - Comp - back to camp. Did our fair share of cleaning up everyone's trash that they decided to leave behind at all stopping places and also left a Jello Shot for one lucky person in the S Pole mail box (which never got taken...thinking it was due to it looked like a urine sample....BUT I posted on FB that it was there for the taking).

Got back to camp, relaxed some more, had a wonderful Speghetti dinner followed by good times around the campfire. Headed inside for a movie (Ride Along 2...pretty funny). Woke numerous times again from the winds.

Woke early as hell (like normal for me), fed the puppies, read some, then headed outside to see that some more people had arrived during the night...Now it's starting to fill up pretty good.

Did the usual around camp then off for another ride to the usual stopping places then over to Vendor Row...browsed around, bought some $5 shirts, stopped by GTP to finally introduce myself to Mike since we always communicated via FaceySpace, then back to camp to await the arrival of another buddy with our camp. He finally got in so we rushed to get him set up and unloaded then it was time for Street Taco night....YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finished dinner, headed to the fire for refreshments and the usual campfire talk and watched everyone else pull in.

Up early again on Saturday...WOW.....now the place looks like a busy holiday weekend. Hung out at camp for breakfast, cornhole and a few tasty beverages before heading over to watch some of the SxS wars.

Decided that since mostly everyone was there, it would be a great time to go for a ride (N Pole, S Pole, Comp)....by that time the dunes were pretty rutted up (miss that Virgin Sand from Wednesday and Thursday). Headed back over to Vendow Row for some ice cream...YUM (again) and to look around for stuff that we don't need but just had to have..hahahha.

Back to camp for left over tacos (had 6lbs of meat to begin with), beers and just good times. Headed to Comp for a bit around 9pm...holy sh*t...as soon as you come around the corner it was like going to EDC with all the lighted whips. Got there just intime to see that someone had just wrecked and the LEO and fellow duners were giving him/her a hand. Hung around for a bit more....watched underage kids drink and try to act like adults and then leave all their trash behind...a-holes!!!!

Back to camp to wrap up the night with a movie "Bone Tomahawk".....hmmm.....not too sure about that one.

Woke up early on Sunday.....sat around and started to slowly get packed up for the trip home.

That has been our first major holiday in a few years (last one was a few yrs back for Halloween...we were living in Reno at the time and made the 10.5 hr drive for 2 days...ugh). Missed that place but not the huge crowds. I prefer non-holiday weekends when the sand is a little smoother. Since it's just about the end of the season for duning at the D, it's time for Coral Pink, Duck Creek and Marysvale UT (Piute Trail) for us. Until next time..........Cheers!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Aaaaah...Dumont Dunes. I've been everywhere, maaaan....Glamis, St. A's, Oregon...but to me, Dumont is home. Beautiful tall dunes that give me chills everytime i pull up on to the plateau. We arrived on Wednesday around 3:30pm and it was empty out there. Rolled in to our usual spot against the first finger dune and started setting up. By this time, it was what i like to call "magic time" at Dumont. The sun is starting to set. The dunes take on a purple hue. It is gorgeous out there. We fired up the Jagged X and hit the front facing dunes. This was the first trip with a new top end and high compression pistons on the RZR. It was snappy! Carved a few dune faces and headed out to the hill for a a quick shoot up it.

We duned our way back to the flats and found our friend Jere from Wyoming that was here for SXS wars. Shot the bull with him for a bit and made plans for later, then headed back for camp. We were expecting friends to arrive later that evening so we hung out in the trailer and talked; finally, we heard a SXS pull up and there was my friend Tony. Jumped in the RZR to help guide them in, and now camp had 2 trailers.

Thursday, we woke up early and started assaulting the virgin dunes. The sand was perfect. We were floating through the turns with hardly any tracks except our own. We duned, ate, duned, ate, and duned more. By this time, more of our friends were pulling in, so we led them in and got camp set up.

Friday the craziness started to set in. There were people everywhere! We duned hard all day long and settled in for a nice dinner. Made a few trips out to the gate to bring people in and finally our camp circle was complete. We took a night ride out to Comp to check out the action. We had a first timer with us and she could not believe how crazy it was out at the hill during nighttime. We also witnessed an unfortunate accident on Banshee hill. We were sitting up on the dunes watching my friend jump and the sharp exhaust note of a Banshee caught our attention. His racing partner turned off and he continued up the hill at a breakneck pace. His quad launched over 50 feet and we knew he was in trouble. We raced over to the scene and some in our group shot up the hill to render assistance. My wife and I took off towards the ranger station to let them know what happened and to tell them to get a helicopter headed our way. We knew the seriousness of the situation from radio reports from our friends on top of the hill. We raced back to the bottom of Banshee and assisted family members by driving them back to their camp. We were very saddened to find out that gentleman did not make it.

I carry a small trauma kit in my bag when riding or duning in remote areas. Included in my kit is a quick clot bandange and the usual stuff in a trauma kit. I highly recommend that at least one person in your group carries this. In Dumont, you are a LONG way from help should something bad occur.

Saturday, the crowds were extremely heavy. We did some easy duning to the usual spots, then took a road trip to Parumph for some food and fireworks. We came back and cooked a killer steak and lobster dinner, and ended the night relaxing with friends.

Sunday, we were up early to pack and back on the road to Northern CA. It was a great trip!! We will see you soon Dumont!

• Like 2

• 4 years later...