fifth wheel toy hauler vs motor home-enclosed trailer

cheeto

For all the fifth wheelers out there, my wife and I are considering changing over to a toy hauler with 2 new little ones and she wants one with the garage separated by a slider or a door cause she doesn't want fuel smell. I don't think I want the the separation due to minimizing garage space. For all the haulers out there do you really get the fuel stench.

I'm in the same boat as Duefreak. I've never had a gas smell even after spilling some. I also have the open floor plan and love that all the space can be used unlike with a garage model. Though the garage models tend to have a little more "homey" feeling in my opinion, but I'm not going out to the dunes to be at home.

As long as you air it out a bit when you first get there, your good to go! I usually crack a window on both sides and let it air out while I unload and get camp set up. Even with a fuel station and gas cans I never have a fuel smell.

Don't know what kind of truck you have, but personally I prefer a fifth wheel. I'm sure there are others out there that will have a different opinion but, I've been very happy with both of mine.

The biggest complaint you hear from the bumper pull guys is you lose the bed space, I personally use a gooseneck adapter with a B&W turn-over ball so my lost space is really less than a square foot. I carry a 110qt cooler up front with my gas cans strapped to it, 2 in bed side mount tool boxes with fire wood in between the boxes, another 40qt cooler between the wheel well and the hitch and my landing gear pads (read: discs), shovel and rake on the other side, PLENTY OF ROOM!!!!!!! And that's with a short bed!

If you have a 1/2 ton then maybe you're in for a superlight or something smaller but if your 3/4 ton or more your options are pretty open either way. Airbags if you need them to help out and you should be good.

• Like 1

I've gone every route in the book, a few times, I'm back to a moho and enclosed simply because it is nice to pull up and go to sleep and especially because I can load my stuff without having to have the wife finished organizing the trailer first. Some trips I can stretch an extra day out because I can load in the evening and hit the road before daylight to get to work :beerpint:

Thanks 19th_AT and raspadoo, I currently have an 88 pace arrow that pulls a 28ft racer enclosed and it works awsome love the ability to pre-load and it's done. Or hook up and make a quick day run. However with two new little ones and grand parents we are thinking the hauler may work best. Looking at the attitude 39tsg with the 14th garage however not sure how my 05 f250 6.0 diesel with bullet proof kit will pull it. Whatever decision I make definitely keeping the racer trailer.

I've gone every route in the book, a few times, I'm back to a moho and enclosed simply because it is nice to pull up and go to sleep and especially because I can load my stuff without having to have the wife finished organizing the trailer first. Some trips I can stretch an extra day out because I can load in the evening and hit the road before daylight to get to work :beerpint:

How the hell can you go to sleep when you first arrive at the dunes? :blink:

No matter how tired I am when I pull up, this always seems to be me.... :drinkbeer::woopitydoo::tweeker::randog::whoop:

:laughing:

• Like 1

your truck will have no trouble with that!!

As far as the setting up goes, maybe I'm just lucky but just about everything stays where it belongs in the trailer. 30 minutes to drop the rail and its trailer, find a place and level off, and unload 4 quads and we can go to bed if need be and do the camp set up in the morning (had to do it one time it was horrible and the windiest I have ever seen it but still 30 min).

I personally love the idea of having a tow vehicle there so if we want to (read: wife forces us to, haha) run into Pahrump, or god forbid have to go pull something back to camp we have the vehicle for it.

• 2 weeks later...

...roll the carpet up so gas won't get on it...my girlfriend likes the smell of gas and man sweat...hehehe...she's part Viking!

I pull a 26 ft. WW 1/2 mile into DEEP sand with a Chevy Suburban 4x4. Fresh or gray water is used "if I get stuck" to harden up the sand around all 8 tires and a few feet runway in front of the way I want to go to get unstuck. I can always unhitch the trailer if that doesn't work to go get help. So far...so good. Also I air down to 8psi in ALL 8 tires!

I SMELL GAS!

post-492-0-54422400-1459632437.jpg

Edited by nightime

• 2 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...

We have fuel leaks now and then. Cleans up easy but I also carry Ross dress for less cheap but nice rolled up rugs and put under everything after all machines un loaded so no fuel smell and sand shifts into carpet instead of stuck to my feet!  Works great!  

Also looked at garage. But with a bedroom and garage the living space was only 12 foot. Made the trailer look way way small. Room for a couch and kitchen. So your sitting in your big Ass trailer and the walls close in a bit. Still love the bedroom but totally ordered trailer without garage.