Let's go to Peru!

dunefreak

Woah :headbang1:

post-3-0-96399600-1464151511_thumb.jpg

Yep, it's real. Look at the miles and miles of dunes around that place.

I doubt I'll ever go there in my lifetime, but in the meantime there's actually some Google Street View through a portion of it. Pretty damn cool. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@-14.0871052,-75.7621196,755m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Check out the edge of town. haha

post-3-0-36067500-1464151567_thumb.jpg

Good find Pete. I don't have time here at work but post up some stuff about Crescent Lake China too. Kind of the same deal, the dunes in China may be even larger and more vast.

Would love to experience both though. Nice to dream in between seasons...

Speaking of Peru...... Funny I posted this and just yesterday a guy I know through the Renner Freeride Tour back in the day, Steve Haugelstine, is in Peru right now working on a project. He posted up these pics on his FB. Incredible! I am super jealous.

Steve Haughelstine:

I love going to places that remind me how small I really am. Here I am taking a ‪#‎droneselfie‬ with a @djiglobal ‪#‎phantom4‬ in the dunes of Peru just outside of Nazca at an altitude of just around 6,700'. Later that night my dad and I drove into the Andes mountains where the road reaches 16,000 ft. We met so many awesome and helpful people along the way that this trip would not have happened without them! It is safe to say we made some new friends to the south! Man what a crazy trip!

post-3-0-38405100-1464446852_thumb.jpg

Steve Haughelstine: Saint Anthony sand dunes in Idaho to Imperial Sand dunes in California and even the 1000 ft high dunes in the Empty Quarter of the Middle East have nothing on Cerro Blanco in Peru. This is arguably the worlds tallest sand dune at 6817 ft. Popular for local sand boarders there were only a couple hiking paths on the fresh ripples of the sand. With hardly enough fuel to go from the rental van and back, I had to take water bottles full of fuel to even ride for a little bit and try to get some shots on top of this massive pile of shifting sand. Peru is a beautiful place with so much potential. I am actually in this shot, just too small to see. Where is the Heli and shotover?!!! Someone get me the Heli!! ‪#‎actiontrackers‬ ‪#‎solofreeride‬ ‪#‎phantom4‬‪#‎cerroblanco‬

post-3-0-49312200-1464446851_thumb.jpg

So at the elevation being 6817 ft on top of that huge dune, it is the tallest dune in the world at about 1200 feet from the base to the peak! That's like 2 and a half comp hills.