Can-Am Maverick X3... Thoughts?

DirtBikeGuy

Yep, the price tag is always the deal killer for that kind of power/weight ratio machine. They look fun for about 10k, therefore I'll never own one.

On a side note, I find it hilarious that Can Am put BJ Baldwin in their promo video "sitting on the sidelines" watching the new X3 fly by. :laughing:

I agree with you Pete, I noticed that this thing weighs in at 1500+ lbs with a CVT and 154 HP. To much money and needed to go to a manual trans to stop the CVT power loss and belt headaches that all of these things seem to have. Not my cup of tea but I will say after sitting in a can-am and than the others I would much rather go on the lid in the Can Am, their beefy and therefore the weight issue.

if you have the mindset of buying a car for 100% sand use only with a 30k budget I agree, why would you buy this or any sxs. But if you have that same 30k budget and love to go blast the trails in Utah or Northern AZ in the summer, and shred dumont in the winter with your wife and little ones with you..then a 150hp sxs with 24" of travel ect. is a great option. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but they sure are fun for the family. And honestly if you know how to drive, and maintain your clutch, CVT's aren't bad. I've blown one belt and changed it in 10 min in the middle of the dunes and kept riding. pretty sure we all know somone who has had to load up their rail on day one because they lost their tranny...

By no means am I advocating for one or the other...I'd love to have both. Just saying I think SXS's like this new x3 have their niche, one car to take the family anywhere, and fast enough to dune with the best of em.

Sent from the dune in front of you

For what it is worth....

This is a major step in the right direction for these machines. With all the big cars out there and when I say big cars I mean the Buckshot X5's, Tatums, Racer Engineering, Trick Racing, and Extreme cars that are pushing 35" to 37" tires they severely tear up the dunes with major ruts that every side x side to date has had issues conquering with out head jolting the driver and passenger. The dilemma has always been that the tire size on these machines is 29" and less so no matter how much travel you have the holes left behind by these big cars is just to much for that small of a tire to over come. That being said this X3 comes with 30" tires and 24" of travel. This is unmatched by any of the competition. That little bit will totally change just how well this machine will perform. Plus a little bit of additional weight sometimes helps with the ability to push through mild chop of the dunes. That being said this is still no sand car by any means but when compared to a sand car of a similar price range you have to be a smart enough person to realize that you are buying a car that is going to have weaker links such as 930 cv's, bus trans, or under powered motor for the size. CV's, axles, or transmission repairs cost 10x's the amount of a belt. So while there is deals out there you can't beat the out of the box fun you get with these upper class side x sides. Plus financing is king in this world anymore so that is the reason for the push and the high dollar these carts bring because of the ease of getting one.

I just personally hope that people respect what they are getting and don't buy this thing because can am releases a video of it flying through the air. I have noticed that with the rise in side x sides in our sport there has been a major increase in accidents as well. 99% of such accidents coming from non experienced drivers putting these machines in a situation that ends in a wreck.

I am definitely looking forward to the start of the new season. Here's to a safe start of a new year of riding.

to big and too heavy for a cvt. if it was a manual it would have had a bigger impact. big horse power potential with a 1330cc built on the same block in another canam machine. but thats going to cost a ton to build and maintain a cvt that will hold it. I'm still happy with my yamaha choice might not be the fastest but shifting is going to be fun

• 4 weeks later...

Looks bad a$$ for sure... Nice travel and can hit any terrain

That is why I love my Can-Am, straight out of the box, it's a solid machine! These new ones look to be awesome. We traveled with one of the YXZ's over Labor Day weekend. They are definitely not trail, mud, rock crawling machines. It kept over heating and could not make the climb over the mountain into Panguitch. Really opened a lot of trail rider's eyes that were thinking of making the switch. Heck, even the Ace made that trip ;)

• Like 1