ticket for blue led lights on my rzr...

sconym

So I was headed to see a buddy at another camp, and got pulled over by a sheriff deputy.  He said that my blue halo rings on my headlights were illegal in the state of California as those colors are used by law enforcement and my vehicle could be confused as a law enforcement vehicle.  This was the first time I have been pulled over for this "violation" in the many times I have ridden in Dumont with this configuration.  I understand how this could be an issue on street / hwy legal vehicles, but is this really the case in an OHV scenario?  It was only a warning, and the officer was pretty cool.  Thoughts?

A036FE72-D831-40B6-B2A3-2CB5873CB916_zps

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have blue LEDs in the headlights of my RZR also. NYE 15/16, at the bottom of comp hill (LED city), Sheriff gave me a warning for them. Said they didn't want anyone thinking I was one of them.  I turned them off, and he went on his way. 

Edited by VegasSparky

I think that the law actually applies to flashing blue lights. Maybe someone from California can verify this. When in Idaho it was only flashing or blinking blue lights. But of course we are talking about California.

It is my understanding in California you can have the glow of any color.

The problem is when people can see the actual bulb or LED.

So make sure the bulb or LED is not visable and you only get the glowing affect.

Law enforcement knows this but won't tell you. 

Here is the relevant law. Sounds like they have been starting to enforce it.

Vehicle Code

California Off-Highway Motor Page 120 Vehicle Laws 2014

§ 38346. Prohibition: Red or Blue Warning Lights

A person shall not display a flashing or steady burning red or blue warning light on an

off-highway motor vehicle except as permitted by Section 21055 or when an extreme

hazard exists.

33 minutes ago, dunefreak said:

But isn't it the law to have steady burning red lights on the back of all vehicles?

I mean...if we're getting all technical..... :dunno:

:D

Yes, Paragraph before the one I posted. I only posted what I did since it answered the question everyone seemed to be asking. I think it's dumb but I didn't write it. Its only been there a couple of years so it's fairly new law. As far as I have read on forums, they have only been picky about front lights and some rear lights (not tail lights) but as I read it, whips could be included since the law doesn't give any leeway on that. I don't have this problem on my car and since I'm not an LED whip guy, I won't be testing that with law enforcement.

§ 38335. Headlamps

When operated from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise, each

motor vehicle shall be equipped with at least one lighted white headlamp directed toward

the front of the vehicle. Such lamp shall be of an intensity sufficient to reveal persons

and vehicles at a distance of at least 200 feet.

§ 38345. Taillamps

When operated from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise, each

motor vehicle which is not in combination with any other vehicle shall be equipped with

at least one lighted red taillamp which shall be clearly visible from the rear.

(a) Every such vehicle or vehicles at the end of a combination of vehicles shall be

equipped with one lighted red taillamp when operated from one-half hour after sunset

to one-half hour before sunrise.

Edited by FE135

19 minutes ago, dunefreak said:

I know you were only stating the facts. I knew you didn't write the law. lol

My argument was against the "man". 

Haha, you seem to have had a few visits/contacts from "The Man" over the years. Your high profile! 

I know I'm late, just saw this. I believe this law is ambiguous, look at it again --->  A person shall not display a flashing or steady burning red or blue warning light on an off-highway motor vehicle except as permitted by Section 21055 or when an extreme hazard exists.

I don't believe the halo lights are technically "warning" lights, wouldn't a "warning" light be marketed as such and be more prominently displayed to be visible from a angle greater than straight ahead?  A "warning" light would have to be of significant brightness to be obvious during daylight would it not? And if any light emitting red or blue light is the issue why was "warning" added to the description? It appears whoever wrote the law didn't intend for it to be a blanket regulation prohibiting any and all red and blue lights on off road vehicles. Are the halos obvious attention getters during the day? Not "just saying", I'm just asking. Lee

While here.... does LE say anything about spark arrestors these days?

• 2 weeks later...

I have magnet flashy lights Ive run on the top of my Burb out to the hill for a very long time.  1 is red and 1 is green.  I even talked to BLM about it before I bought then YEARS ago.  A few years ago when I was there for Thanksgiving I was slowing rolling back to camp (Wed night, no one there) and had a LEO follow me back to camp.  He jumped out and proceeded to ask me for my id and such.  I asked why he followed me back? Said because of the lights.  I explained that Ive been running them well over 5 yrs and never had any issues and that I had in fact talked to BLM about it prior to purchasing.  He wasn't having any of it.  I got a FAT $250 ticket.  They said because the red could be seen from the front, it was illegal.  I had been pulled over a couple times at Dumont running the same lights and never had any mention of the lights before.  Needless to say I was pretty pissed.  Planned on fighting the ticket, but wasn't worth it to drive all the way to Barstow.  :-(   

DUMONT.jpg

• 3 weeks later...