Little Dunes to Big Dunes

E10Critchy

Ok so I have always camped up on the big flat spot in front of the big dunes just past the ranger station.  I'm interested in trying camping in the little dunes along the highway for the kids.  Anybody know how long of a buggy ride it is to drive from the little Dunes to the big dunes.  Cruising speed not wide open.  Don't want to dust everyone out following me.  Thanks.

I would say about 15 minutes, There are a couple of sand highways that are at the base of the salt Mountains that make traveling back and forth pretty easy and not to hard on paddles.

I thought the only way to go to the big dunes from the small dunes is to the left side of the mountains.  Is going that way hard on the paddles?  I've been that way before but it's been a long time.  I thought it was a sand and gravel like mix?  I also thought going that way was only 5-10 min at moderate speed.

I would say about 15 minutes, There are a couple of sand highways that are at the base of the salt Mountains that make traveling back and forth pretty easy and not to hard on paddles..

From the little dunes yes the trail runs along the base of the salt mountains along the wash area between the river bed and the mountain. It would be on the left side of the mountain but on your right side as you were traveling that way , if that makes any sense. There are a couple of rocky areas but they are pretty small and than you can get int the south end of the big dunes.

Like ynot said, there are sand highways/ trails. It's pretty loose. Just go easy on the throttle in the rocky stuff and your paddles will be just fine. From the camp area just go south until you hit the fence and follow it all the way around the mountain to the little dunes. There are plenty of noticeable trails to bring you there.