sandrail crash

dunefreak

Here are the pics...

From what I heard and saw, the car when off a pretty steep drop-off at the south west end of the dunes behind comp. The driver must not have seen the drop and the car flipped completely back-end over landing upside down on the cage. The 2 occupants died at the scene. :(

The frame and cage looked pretty stout, but the impact was bad...very bad. I doubt many (if any) cars would have been able to survive that crash. My thoughts go out to the family and friends of the 2 that died. It was a horrible accident.

Oh...and for the record, no alcohol was involved in the crash as per one of the rangers at the ranger station. It seems as though it was just a freak accident.

S2010043~2.JPG

S2010044~1.JPG

S2010045~2.JPG

S2010046~2.JPG

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that frame looks a bit Jenky... i have seen trophy trucks crash in the desert at over 120 mph, and NEVER look that bad. i dont think that frame was buit right or with the right welds or maybe even the right materiels

like i said in the other post for those that didnt get to it. even at a higher speed the way the car rotated around basically a backflip that went bad and the distance/drop off was pretty intense. just like when racing r/c cars when you stay on the gas the car will continue to lift the front end if you hit the gas the nose would drop down. standing at the spot where the car last had tire tracks sent a chill up my spine just thinking about what these guys had going through there heads knowing they didnt stand a chance in hell of it alot of blood in that car. surprised the rescue crew just didnt snip the top off the car and lift em out instead of snipping the side and dragging them out.

as far as strength sand cars are not built as well or strong as off road race cars at 120mph these cars would be a tin can when all is said and done. thats the problem with there not being any type of law as far as frames and tube wall. at least in racing people like SNORE & MORE govern a chassis structural integrity

like i said in the other post for those that didnt get to it. even at a higher speed the way the car rotated around basically a backflip that went bad and the distance/drop off was pretty intense. just like when racing r/c cars when you stay on the gas the car will continue to lift the front end if you hit the gas the nose would drop down. standing at the spot where the car last had tire tracks sent a chill up my spine just thinking about what these guys had going through there heads knowing they didnt stand a chance in hell of it alot of blood in that car. surprised the rescue crew just didnt snip the top off the car and lift em out instead of snipping the side and dragging them out.

as far as strength sand cars are not built as well or strong as off road race cars at 120mph these cars would be a tin can when all is said and done. thats the problem with there not being any type of law as far as frames and tube wall. at least in racing people like SNORE & MORE govern a chassis structural integrity

exactly well put!!!!!!!!!!!!!!dont talk about frames that was a nasty drop!!!do we know who they were and if we could help the family in any way,, has any body thought about that?? instead of,,,how the car was built,,lets try to reach out to the family and show them what the ddr family is all about!!!just my 5 cents

good idea rhino king i will ask my buddy who is a sheriff that normally works out there on weekends and see if there is any way to get some info on helping out the family

sounds good i know there going through a bad time but sometimes things like reaching out helps!!!

It hits home pretty hard for me seeing this stuff out there. When we first heard of the crash, cdavego thought he saw Aaron (trickls2racer) out there picking up the belongings from the deceased. All we could think of was that it was someone in his group and the way the car was described it almost sounded like it was limodriver (Tim). Our hearts were racing as a few of us went out to see if that was really the case. Luckily Tim was ok and it was not him. I thought I'd feel alot better at that point when I found out that news, but I didn't. Seeing that rail and imagining what those 2 guys' friends and families have to deal with is terrible. I feel so bad for them as this could happen to anyone of us out there duning. You just never know. Everyone needs to be very carefull when out there. I know I will.

Rich, if you or anyone else finds out who the family is and if we can help in any way, yes please let us know. :beercheers:

My brother was second on the scene and they were apparently camped right next to us. Father and son in law. SIL's first time at the dunes, first ride in a rail. Sad for the wives and kids. Ditto on a collection if its OK???

My brother was second on the scene and they were apparently camped right next to us. Father and son in law. SIL's first time at the dunes, first ride in a rail. Sad for the wives and kids. Ditto on a collection if its OK???

Yes it was a father and son-in-law. I am very close to the family and I would like to thank everyone who helped my friends. It was a sad day in Bullhead City today. Thank you for all of the kind words regarding Harry and Phil (thier names). the family does not know I am on the forum. If any one would like to help, keep us all in your prayers and forward any information to my email ggillian@msn.com. I will print and take to the wives (Pam and Jody) showing your support, prayers, and regards. Agian thank you to the DDR family you guys are great. Thank you so much...

exactly well put!!!!!!!!!!!!!!dont talk about frames that was a nasty drop!!!do we know who they were and if we could help the family in any way,, has any body thought about that?? instead of,,,how the car was built,,lets try to reach out to the family and show them what the ddr family is all about!!!just my 5 cents

i agree, with you Kenny, i was merley making an observation, i feel bad for all involved directly or indirectly. my prayers go out to all of them.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of this horrible accident. I dont have alot of cash right now, but Id like to help in any way I can. If there is a fund set up somewhere, Id like to make a contribution. Its just so terrible that someone has to be hurt or even worse in this case and loose their lives doing something they love. :(

SinCityBlondie,

at this time there is not a fund. I will speak with the wives as soon they are ready. If anyone would like to send a card or a note, I know the family would greatly appreciate it. Please send to:

The Williams Family

C/O Gary Gillian

936 Turney Drive

Bullhead City, AZ 86442

Your thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated. Thank You sincerely Dumont Dune Riders you guys are awsome.

SinCityBlondie,

at this time there is not a fund. I will speak with the wives as soon they are ready. If anyone would like to send a card or a note, I know the family would greatly appreciate it. Please send to:

The Williams Family

C/O Gary Gillian

936 Turney Drive

Bullhead City, AZ 86442

Your thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated. Thank You sincerely Dumont Dune Riders you guys are awsome.

please let us know, I would help in anyway and I know everyone else would too!!!

I spoke with the families this morning and there is a donation fund being set up. I am not sure where yet, so I forwarded all of your blessings and prayers to them and they are going to come to your website to post the information. Again thank you for all of your wishes and prayers, I cant express how great the offroad family is... Thanks, Gary

saw the rail as it went over looked crazy. and my thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of the victims. will definately help the fund.

You saw it happen? How exactly did it crash? Was it how everyone said, rear end over?

You saw it happen? How exactly did it crash? Was it how everyone said, rear end over?

we were camped out towards the back in front of comp we were close to were the rangers were parked at night enjoying the show and seeing the rails and bikes going up and down when we saw one going up and saw the lights going up pretty fast and next thing you know we just saw clear the razor like if it was taking off but it looked like it was rotating backwards. all my buddys were like DAMN you see that thing go not knowing it would have such sad results. will let them know today so we can help in anyway.

hi my name is Chae my boyfriend and i live with the williams family they are our other parents. gary called us this morning and told us about this site so i wanted to come on and post some things. We are all trying to get through this with our heads held high. there is going to be a fund set up not sure where yet i will get back to you on that, for now if any one wants to send anything our address is

The Williams Family

1466 Tonto dr

Bullhead City, AZ 86442

If you would like to e mail us my email is sweety_pie6929@hotmail.com

Pam, wanted to give you my condulances!!! Can't freaking believe this has happened!! The Blood's called me on Sat. Evening to give me the news. Of course Jodi was over at Jane's for support by then. I'm sure you have seen them by now! Just can't freakin believe it!!!! If you guys need anything, i'm right down the road in LHC so please call if you need anything!!!! Katy is still riding Harry's Night Train and loving every minute of it. I will make sure that everyone remembers where that Bike came from.

Jeff Stephens

we were camped out towards the back in front of comp we were close to were the rangers were parked at night enjoying the show and seeing the rails and bikes going up and down when we saw one going up and saw the lights going up pretty fast and next thing you know we just saw clear the razor like if it was taking off but it looked like it was rotating backwards. all my buddys were like DAMN you see that thing go not knowing it would have such sad results. will let them know today so we can help in anyway.

this accident was not at night and not in the area that you seen,,,,what you seen was a ufo!!!