sandrail crash

dunefreak

As a fellow duner and father and husband i would like to also extend a heart felt condolences to those lost. we were camped next to ddr and some in the camp had seen it as well ( the aftermath) i chose not to go over there. i did not want to ogle, but my heart sank upon hearing of this . Our whole camp was rocked by the news we never like to hear such things. It is the frightning part of our sport ................................I hope God has them a couple of rails to play with up there . I pray that the family can heal after such a devestating loss.

Edited by bearfoot bob

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that frame looks a bit Jenky... i have seen trophy trucks crash in the desert at over 120 mph, and NEVER look that bad. i dont think that frame was buit right or with the right welds or maybe even the right materiels

please dont even make comments like the welds were not good talking about the frame there was nothin wrong with that car and there was nothing that could of saved them.... the same thing could happen to a totally different car going that speend and droping down that far!!!!

please dont even make comments like the welds were not good talking about the frame there was nothin wrong with that car and there was nothing that could of saved them.... the same thing could happen to a totally different car going that speend and droping down that far!!!!

exactly. It was a very bad crash and not many other cars, if any, would have been able to protect them in that situation. :(

I don't think everyone understands the severity of this accident. I am suprised the car held up as good as it did.

that frame looks a bit Jenky... i have seen trophy trucks crash in the desert at over 120 mph, and NEVER look that bad. i dont think that frame was buit right or with the right welds or maybe even the right materiels

I agree. Although, when 3000lbs hit something that hard something has to give.

Edited by Bound4Dirt

As a fellow duner and father and husband i would like to also extend a heart felt condolences to those lost. we were camped next to ddr and some in the camp had seen it as well ( the aftermath) i chose not to go over there. i did not want to ogle, but my heart sank upon hearing of this . Our whole camp was rocked by the news we never like to hear such things. It is the frightning part of our sport ................................I hope God has them a couple of rails to play with up there . I pray that the family can heal after such a devestating loss.

Could not have said it better.

WAS THE CAR HOME MADE :laughoff:

i think somebody should take a pic of the actual place where they went off so others can understand it had nothing to do with booze, bad frames or things of that nature. that same spot last year a guy on a polaris almost came close to doing the exact same thing he calaimed it was an opticle illusion and it looked continues luckily he bailed out . maybe that hill needs a warning :laughoff:

you are right about scene at the spot, i have ridden every single dune out there, and i still dont know where you are talking about.

and i keep hearing some people say "Dont talk about the weld, dont talk about the frame"

well as i said before it is merely an observation, now this is where i may sound rude, so i apologize before hand.

if i didnt ask about the frame, the welds, or who made it, it could have made a difference, if the frame was not the right chromoly, or the welds were not done properly then the person that made the frame could be held liable in civil suit. there are people out there that have a welder and a tube bender, but that does not make them a "Fabricator". so forgive me for stating the obvious, the frame does not look like it held the way that it was designed.

once again, my prayers are with the family.

yopu know i dont even care what yall think about the rail and how it was made that dosnt even make a difference. and for your information a very close friend of ours built that buggy/ and in no way do we blame him for anything..... actually im suprised it was only damaged that much.... still it could of been worse!!! im sorry if i sound a little hatefull but it irritates me how people are sometime ecpesially when they dont know exactly how everything happened.......

yopu know i dont even care what yall think about the rail and how it was made that dosnt even make a difference. and for your information a very close friend of ours built that buggy/ and in no way do we blame him for anything..... actually im suprised it was only damaged that much.... still it could of been worse!!! im sorry if i sound a little hatefull but it irritates me how people are sometime ecpesially when they dont know exactly how everything happened.......

My prayers are with your family. Can you send pictures of where it happen to avoid another family maybe going through this?

Thanks.

exactly well put!!!!!!!!!!!!!!dont talk about frames that was a nasty drop!!!do we know who they were and if we could help the family in any way,, has any body thought about that?? instead of,,,how the car was built,,lets try to reach out to the family and show them what the ddr family is all about!!!just my 5 cents

RIGHT ON KENNY!!!!!

exactly well put!!!!!!!!!!!!!!dont talk about frames that was a nasty drop!!!do we know who they were and if we could help the family in any way,, has any body thought about that?? instead of,,,how the car was built,,lets try to reach out to the family and show them what the ddr family is all about!!!just my 5 cents

Kenny.....sometimes your replies make no sense....but this time you hit the nail on the head. These are very trying times for someone's family and friends. The thoughts and prayers of my family go out to them.

i think somebody should take a pic of the actual place where they went off so others can understand it had nothing to do with booze, bad frames or things of that nature. that same spot last year a guy on a polaris almost came close to doing the exact same thing he calaimed it was an opticle illusion and it looked continues luckily he bailed out . maybe that hill needs a warning :thumbsdown:

Same thing happened to me in that area. I got lucky and wasn't going too fast to correct. I was cruising across what I thought was a flat and it just dropped out from under us....luckily I was able start to turn just at the top...just saving it from going straight over. When it happened to me it was during the noon hours. The dunes looked continuous and flat to me......but they weren't. :dunno: During those hours I can personally understand what may have happened. Tragic.

Hey man i know this people personally and i also know the guy that built this rail and from what i was told by a eye witness that they fell 70 feet or more and there is now way a name built car or a trophy truck would have made it.. I have seen the guy whom welded on that make sh*t the best way possible

I am very sorry to hear what happened. We actually found out Saturday night while we were trick or treating with the kids that the people involved were camped right next to us like 20 feet away. My husband saw the accident aftermath and noticed a white Rhino at the scene and when we walked into the camp next to us with the kids he noticed the same Rhino parked in their camp. He asked the guy about it and the guy explained what happened. :thumbsdown: It is so sad and my heart goes out to the family and friends, i couldnt imagine what it must be like. I would also like to contribute to the family once something is set up.

Thie is a picture of the crash site. You can not see the people inside but some of you might not want to click this image. It at least gives you an idea of the drop.

http://www.angelfire.com/al/metalalien/pictures/crash1.JPG

this is a map showing more or less where it happen. This site if very CPU intensive, some of your browsers may choke for a moment while it loads.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=35.674931&a...r=0&src=ggl

Edited by metalalien

First off, it goes without saying this is an absolute tradgedy and it hurts across the duning community even though most of us didn't know the folks that lost their lives in this incident. Most of us in my camp physically saw the wreckage at the site and I will say it put a tremendous damper on the rest of our entire groups' weekend. NOBODY wishes that on anyone, it's just aweful.

I'm a little disturbed at some of the reaction on the board toward people asking legitimate questions. I hope it's just because some of you knew the people that passed and are still emotionally leveled by all of this, that is understandable. I don't think anyone is out to get anyone in regard to the incident, the driver made a terrible mistake and payed a horrendous consequence for it. What's done is done.

Now, why not take the opportunity to make something good come out of an otherwise tragic situation and learn any and all lessons we can from this aweful event. IMO, any fatal accident at any dunes should be fully investigated and the findings disclosed to the public. The ultimate in my mind would be an impartial investigative /review body comprised of law enforcement, chassis builders, and perhaps some other members of the duning community such as someone on the TRT etc.

This is just one guys opinion but in my mind if you personally know the builder of any car involved in a fatal incident then you are inherently disqualified from looking at the event in an unbiased and objective manner. It is also my opinion that holding back the maker (either the company or an individual) of any vehicle involved in a fatal event is doing a disservice to anyone running that chassis or anyone actively involved in deciding what chassis to buy. If we can get decent unbiased facts after a fatal incident people should have the right to access that information in order to make an educated choice.

Yes, none of the above information will bring back the folks that lost their lives last weekend BUT I we can be guaranteed one thing for sure, holding back information from other duners will have absolutely zero chance of perhaps preventing deaths in the future. Again, it's NOT about pointing fingers at whomever built this car, it's about potentially improving car design to help TRY to prevent deaths in the future.

Once again, everyone I know that dunes are so sickened by this terrible incident it's unreal. Godspeed to the folks that passed and we have their families in our prayers.

Thie is a picture of the crash site. You can not see the people inside but some of you might not want to click this image. It at least gives you an idea of the drop.

http://www.angelfire.com/al/metalalien/pictures/crash1.JPG

this is a map showing more or less where it happen. This site if very CPU intensive, some of your borwsers may choke for a moment while it loads.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=35.674931&a...r=0&src=ggl

The people really give a good perspective as to the size of the drop. :shocked2:

The front of the machine is to the left under the blue tarp.

If you look at the size of the cop on top of the dune...or even in the bottom....he probably averages close to 6 feet....just a guess. That drop was way over 30ft IMO.

First let me say that I KNOW this I my first post on this site. But what brought me here was this incident that happened over the weekend. Like ANY human I am very sorry to hear what happened. My thoughts go out to the family and friends of the people who lost their lives over the weekend. It has been a long time since I too have lot a fiend in the dunes and I still think of them each time I first see the dunes off in the distance. It’s HARD to deal with.

Gary I gotta ask you this question. I KNOW you say that the builder of this vehicle has NOTHING to do with the death of these people. I do not know you. I do not know the amount of expertise you have in the subject of chassis construction. You say that it doesn’t make a difference. I don’t want to take that chance. I do not want my fellow dune friends and family to take that chance. If you know that there is another car out there from this builder then I would say it is your duty as a duner to inform us who this builder is. IF there was a non biased governmental crash investigation team that would pick apart this incident with a fine tooth comb and come to conclusion that this chassis in fact held up PERFECTLY and did what it should have done. I would wait for their conclusion. But since there is no investigation team and all we have to go on is hearsay and our own knowledge of fabrication and the shape the car was in after the incident then it is the responsibility of the people in the know to share information freely, and without biased, to other duners so they (we) can make our own conclusions.

Maybe, MAYBE there is another car out there, like this one, made from the same material and the same specs as this one. IF the owner of that car knew that he has a car similar to this one and he can make changes should we (you) with hold information? And IF I were to be looking for a chassis in the future should I not be told the truth about what COULD go wrong with it in the case of a similar roll over? We COULD be talking about the livelihood of the builder and his family. I understand that companies don’t always get their product right the first time. Sometimes it takes MANY tries. Look at the Pinto & Chevy’s fuel tank issues. Those are two HUGE companies that had a flaw in vehicles that were already tested an released. It happens. The wrong thing for them to have done would have been to sit on the info.

Gary if you don’t want to post the builder here on the board that’s fine. But at least PM me with the info so I can make an educated decision the next time I buy a chassis. Others may or may not ask you for the same thing. But me, I want to know. Don’t worry I have my own site dedicated to low dollar rails and wouldn’t stake the reputation of my site by slandering the builder of the chassis. Who knows if I find out that his stuff really does stand up I can help him sell his stuff.

Sorry my first post on this site has to deal with such a horrible tragedy. But sometimes bad things bring good people together.